Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Faust Tapes: Faust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Faust Tapes: Faust
    Posted: April 02 2015 at 20:27
Faust signed to Virgin. Faust gave Virgin their backlog of recordings to whip an LP out of. One adventurous engineer at Virgin decides to string a bunch of snippets of those tapes together in a concrete-esque fashion. Virgin prices it as a single upon release. Faust and Virgin get to watch Britain burn.

What do you think of this gut-punching record? And am I right to think that most people never made it past the free jazz frenzy at about the nine minute mark?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 01:53
That's my favorite album by them. For me it's some kind of german Zappa's Lumpy Gravy. At the beginning, that can seem vague, then according to the listening, the chaos gets organized to become music.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 08:10
Curse under your breath and gasp what the hell am I actually doing on this forum but-

Faust were always one of those bands I've heard of, but as much as I loved "The Sad Skinhead" I haven't really given them serious attention.

This thread changes everything and on Spotify I am loving Patchwork 1971-2002!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 07:03
Fantastic album although I was too young to catch the initial release (I bought the ReR version around '81 for a heftier price of around £5).  If these were cuttings, the weird thing is that the album almost has a logic to it.  Faust went on to abuse Virgin (some might say rightly so) and this version of the band disintegrated when their families had to foot a bill for a half-wrecked hotel that the band tried to escape from.
 Post Reply Post Reply