Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [25.35%]
14 [19.72%]
8 [11.27%]
27 [38.03%]
4 [5.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 14:48
He's not. He's in second to last place:-P
As for your query, and here I am obviously taking a wild stab in the dark, but it may have something to do with people preferring the other ones over Waters.

While I do love his lyrics, they're still no match for Hammill.....and this is coming from someone who genuinely prefers Floyd over Van Damme Generator. It's not about the music this time though, even if the music sometimes underlines the lyrical content.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 05 2015 at 14:48
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 02:57
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Not to open up a can of worms.. but I'm a little surprised at the lack of votes for Waters, given his reputation and, you know, ability to deliver some of the poignant lines out there. Especially surprised at being usurped by Gabriel, who you know, is good & fine, but I've never thought of him as an especially notable lyricist.

Really?

When illusion spin her net
I'm never where I want to be
And liberty she pirouette
When I think that I am free
Watched by empty silhouettes
Who close their eyes but still can see
No one taught them etiquette
I will show another me
Today I don't need a replacement
I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant
My heart going boom boom boom
"Hey" I said "You can keep my things,
they've come to take me home."

Read more: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill Lyrics | MetroLyrics

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 08:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Not to open up a can of worms.. but I'm a little surprised at the lack of votes for Waters, given his reputation and, you know, ability to deliver some of the poignant lines out there. Especially surprised at being usurped by Gabriel, who you know, is good & fine, but I've never thought of him as an especially notable lyricist.

Really?

I will show another me

Peter is a great original lyricist---love him--and I was just listening to this album yesterday. Here comes the flood amazing too.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Really?

I will show another me

Peter is a great original lyricist---love him--and I was just listening to this album yesterday. Here comes the flood amazing too.

Thumbs Up
There is so much to admire on that album. Gabriel tackles a number of different genre styles but makes it work lyrically and musically.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 13:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I offer you five here. Five is all you get. I did not offer an "other" category, because if you say Jon Anderson or Neil Peart, I'll have to punch you in the nose. Sorry, but I am trying to have a serious poll here. LOL

I guess my nose is bloody.  Angry  LOL

I would vote for Peart if I could.

Ian Anderson gets my vote.
Prog On!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 17:28
Anderson, Gabriel, Sinfield,......Hammill and Waters.

I want to say that I also think Gabriel's lyrics on his first solo album are excellent.

Edited by dr wu23 - April 07 2015 at 17:31
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 18:29
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

I offer you five here. Five is all you get. I did not offer an "other" category, because if you say Jon Anderson or Neil Peart, I'll have to punch you in the nose. Sorry, but I am trying to have a serious poll here. LOL

I guess my nose is bloody.  Angry  LOL

I would vote for Peart if I could.

Ian Anderson gets my vote.

Doug, there's a second poll with Neil Rand (is that Ayn Peart Tolkien? LOL) here:

I'll then make a third poll with the top two or three from the two previous polls as a grand finale.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 04:20

Roger Waters.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 06:42

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

A serious poll? In that case: where's Geoff Mann? Wink
I had to actually look up the Geoff Mann reference to figure out who the hell you were talking about. LOL

Me too.
Looks like he is a geography teacher.
Shake & bake.
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 14:30
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Jon Anderson is another story: some of his lyrics remind my of a Christmas letter written by my aunt who lives in California, back in 2001. This letter was full of misspellings, and the worst thing was the appearance of unintended other words that made no sense at all in the context of that message. It took me three days to decipher this letter ConfusedOuchWacko. I regard most of Jon Anderson's lyrics as poppycock.

LOL That's awesome. Pretty spot on.

One of the things that actually had me laughing out loud was a thread over at progressiveears a few months back, maybe there was one here about the same thing. People had donated to a Jon Anderson/J L Ponty kickstarter campaign that went terribly awry (misinformation, broken promises, etc). People started asking for their money back, or at least an update to what was going on. JA finally posted on Facebook, he cleared everything up: "IT was a year ago today that I first started to sing with Jean Luc, the first words were, 'One is all you really need , One is everything'...and the last words three months later were 'Seems like we opened the door to the earth and it's song....more than the Angels we hear more than imagination we sing, soul is the space that we walk only now rest in heavenly love, must listen, must listen,'...

Years ago I was given a book, 'The R adiant Healing Symphony' by a Mr Roland Hunt'...
Surprisingly, I couldn't put the book down, for it contained a labyrinth of information about the 'Mystic' World we live in , and through the correct lyrical dance I was to understand that from a very early age I was connected to a far greater realization of truth, it truly astounded me in so many directions....was I being lead into a truly extraordinary place of understanding, a far reaching connection with what I now know as 'All That Is'..

First there was the music, then the lyric, as far as I can remember I sang to myself songs I had never heard before, so when the time came in my life to repeat them and bring them into my immediate world, there I was lo and behold a 'musician' surrounded by fellow dreamers, Yes, it was all true.

As Roland Hunt would say, there are no accidents only guidelines to the next adventure, there is a 'Time and a Word', and the word is 'love'...love is all that is...love is everything, in the context of 'And You and I', that being the framework of a larger concept, we are 'One' and we are connected , completely and utterly connected to our understanding of 'Mother Earth, 'And how we True forget the making of the mystic world, and how we too forget the making of the perfect life, ' That that is, That that is, so full of dreams and confusion the writer would listen,

'I see it all in the Rhythm of Time'...

So here we are, soldiers of time, dreamers of the modern age, looking over our shoulders at the truth to Mother Earth, for now in the grasp of our realization we are truly learning to 'Dance with Nature'..and through this new musical adventure we co-create with the dream of understanding, 'Time, Time, Time heals real life, and the scars that descend upon you, and how we too forget the making of the perfect life 'That That is' That That is'.....so full of dreams for forever the writer would Listen.'

It is a constant flow of musical and lyrical creation that I find myself in, it's as if I'm being wound up like a Time Lord. to be able to time travel, and musically trance myself into a state of perfect contemplation surrounded by musical dreamers again and again....for here we are 'One' with the promise of 'Life Everlasting' and that promise is true, the here and now , for we are eternal beings, ready and capable of living with no limitations, ' Only now rest in heavenly love'...must Listen, must Listen.

Jon Anderson....February 2015 "

People are asking about how their money is being spent, why certain things that were promised are now no longer on the table, etc (some fans are really pissed), and that's how he responded. Brilliant! 
jc
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 16:16
Yes bucka sadly this was one of the many reasons Yes could't take it anymore.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 19:49
Two things popped into my head upon reading Jon Anderson's response. The first was "Well, since this guy probably can't get his act together with his fans' money, I'm not buying any of his solo records." The second was "English Censored, do you speak it?"

Back on topic, Anderson >= Hammill >= Waters >= Gabriel > Sinfield

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - April 16 2015 at 19:51
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 20:04
"The Sea Goat casts aquarian runes through beads of mirrored tears " Peter Sinfield 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 22:57
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Ditto! Kazza3 ClapThumbs UpApprove plus Hug

One more. I don't really know Gabriel's solo career, nor am I in a rush to do so, but there are many Genesis songs in which the thing I like the least are the lyrics. Waters is really brilliant, though. However, at least I am glad Hamill is getting lot's of love here.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 23:02
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

It's Waters, i.e. Endless River the only song with vocals on that album is the worst track, sounds more like a demo Stern Smile
Even so I love the album and am still so thrilled they released this album too! Gnack, gnack, gnackkk Evil SmileThumbs UpHug

I really liked "The Endless River" a lot too, and though for me "Louder than Words" isn't the worst song (that one would have to be the one with the sax), it's close to the bottom... perhaps second worse. Mostly the rest of the album is wonderful. And it was a really nice surprise at the beginning of the year when out of the blue came the news that said album was being made, after so many years thinking The Division Bell would be Floyd's last album. And perhaps that's the reason I have a bigger grudge against Louder than Words... High Hopes was the perfect Swan Song for Floyd... ending with one of their best songs. Louder than Words is a real let down for their last song.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:42
Peter Sinfield gets my vote!
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:45
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

"The Sea Goat casts aquarian runes through beads of mirrored tears " Peter Sinfield 
Clap
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 09:34
Hammill
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 10:53
Anderson - Gabriel - Hammill.

Also surprised Peart isn't on this list.
http://www.cailynmusic.com
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 12:43
Hammill. A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers have one of the best lyrics that I've ever read
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>