Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you find yourself distancing yourself from EM?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you find yourself distancing yourself from EM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 09:30
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I said nought about either punk or prog and I have no idea why somebody would store an old convo about those genres for so long in his memory that he cannot but somehow find a way to refer back to it in whatever I say.  But hey, whatever floats your boat.  I am not even going to bother to explain or clarify what I said.

Was said in jest and was tongue in cheek (at worst). Such shrill indifference is redolent of a falsetto in a sedentary occupation like say, accountancy, bookkeeping or monastery auditing? Lighten up you sad little sackWink

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 11 2015 at 09:43
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 20:44
For me the most important aspect of Electronic Music is the sounds that are used to make the music. When we talk of "Electronic Music" we are referring to music where the sounds you hear are produced electronically (rather than acoustically). Those sounds can be to mimic or emulate existing sounds or the technology can be used to create new sounds that are unique to the synthesis method being used. 

Because the term "Electronic Music" covers such a broad spectrum of musical styles we cannot really say that a particular style or styles of music define what Electronic Music is. If we play Electronic Music compositions on "traditional" instruments the result is not Electronic Music so there is nothing "musical" that differentiates Electronic Music from other forms of music, it is merely that the instruments used created the sounds electronically. [Non-electronic covers of EM tracks are surprisingly rare, but I'd cite Siouxsie and the Banshees cover of Kraftwerk's "Hall Of Mirrors" here as an example].  

However, it is not just that the sounds are being created electronically, even the repetitive loops of a sequencer or drum-machine are an electronic emulation of what can be achieved manually. On my OB•12 I can hold down four notes to play a chord or I can play each note sequentially, just as I can on a piano. Alternatively I can program the Arpeggio section of the synth to play the four notes in a particular order in a particular (tapped or preset) rhythm so when I change to a different chord the same arpeggio rhythm is played out for the new chord. 

This ability to play arpeggio chords automatically is not a new thing nor is it feature that is found solely on electronic synthesisers, it was a available on electronic organs of the 1960s and can be heard on The Who's 'Baba O'Riley' -{I think most people are now aware that this track was not the first use of a synthesiser/sequencer but an automatically arpeggiated chord played on a Lowrey organ to a marimba preset rhythm}- what makes that track stand out is not what was being played or how it was being played but how it was used as part of the whole song.  It is possible that Townshend could have played the arpeggio sequence 'Baba O'Riley' manually for the entire duration of the song, but I suspect his fingers would have fallen off before he got to the end. So I do not regard the use of an arpeggiator as being dishonest or cheating, it is a tool at the EM musician's disposal just as an octave-shift or harmoniser pedal is tool that a guitarist has at their disposal; it is just an effect and he can use that to be creative or he can use it to be lazy, but it isn't going to write the music for him - he still has to choose and play the appropriate chords and chord progression and in the appropriate tempo and rhythm. No one criticises a guitarist who uses overdrive and a fuzz pedal even though that combination can quite effectively mask sloppy playing.

I can also program the synth to play a chord from a single key-press, again I do not see this as dishonest or cheating (or perhaps even lazy) - consider this: a violin or a flute cannot play a chord because they are essentially monophonic instruments, if a violinist or flautist wants [to play] a chord they have to get two or more of their mates to play the other notes of the chord in unison with them, or in the studio they can overdub three tracks of playing the notes individually, none of those techniques would be regarded as cheating. The same thing happens with recorded vocals where the singer is double-tracked or records their own harmony backing - they cannot replicate that live without employing additional singers so is it dishonest to use those multi-tracked techniques on a recording? On the synth an EM musician can use that single-key chord in the studio or on stage, it makes no difference to the sound coming out of the studio monitor or PA system whether he used one finger or three to play that sound - unless someone can see how many fingers he is using what difference does that make?

My Yamahahahaha keyboard has a preset marked "Oboe". If I press that and play a note it kind of sounds like an oboe in that the timbre is almost oboe-ish and the envelope is sort of oboe-like, but it is not an oboe; if I play a melody using that preset it does not sound like a oboist has performed the melody - it sounds exactly like a keyboardist using a keyboard to play an oboe-like sound. This is common fault/feature/failing/advantage of all emulating keyboards, including the Hammond and Wurlitzer organs, the Mellotron and Chamberlain keyboards and all sampling and pure-synthesis synths. Play the "Oboe" tab on an electronic or electro-mechanical organ and the resulting sound sounds more like an organ than it does an oboe. [Not withstanding that probably the first thing a Hammond-player is going to do is strike out gut-rumbling two-hand chord that is not only polyphonic but also covers a note-range that an oboe is incapable of producing]. 

Samplers (such as the Fairlight or Mellotron) that replay actual oboe note recordings get closer to the sound of an oboe but do not replicate the performance of an oboist because, again, they are being played by a keyboardist. [I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is a far more accomplished keyboard player than I am, I complained that my Yamamamamaha's "Guitar" preset didn't sound much like a guitar and he replied that it was because I was playing like a keyboard and not like a guitar, he then demonstrated that playing in a more guitar-like way resulted in a more guitar-like sound.] If the Electronic musician wants an oboe in their recording but doesn't know any oboists then they have the choice of either playing the "Oboe" preset (or sample) like a keyboardist or more like an oboist - but that choice is their's to make and the creative use of that "Oboe" preset is determined by their creativity not by the instrument they are emulating. Primary amongst these "creativity" things of course is the keyboardist can do keyboardy things with that oboe sound that the oboist cannot do. The fact that he can create something that does not sound like an oboist has played the piece is perhaps more important than not being able to sound exactly like an oboist.

The same thing happens with the ubiquitous strings sound. Orchestras are expensive, even when each musician in the orchestra is earning a pittance, the cost of employing 20 to 80 people to accompany a rock band in the studio or on stage is a lot of money. In the early days of Popular Music the studio orchestra was extensively employed to accompany the singer, as bands started to play their own instruments these orchestras were still being used as accompaniment and backing to their recordings. In the mid 1960s record producers and musicians chose to replace these expensive [studio] orchestras with electronic and electro-mechanical keyboards - to begin with these were not used as lead instruments but as musical Polyfilla™ to fill-out the sound recordings of beat-groups, playing sustained chords (pads) of string-like sounds and provide musical backing and accompaniment. With time musicians discovered they could do things with these emulated sounds that the "real" orchestra could not do and these instruments and their sounds became an integral part of the band and its creativity.

These replicant/replacement sounds didn't sound like an orchestra or the string-section of an orchestra, they sounded exactly like electronic organs, but they were being used to perform the same role. Once synthesisers progressed beyond the gimmicky SciFi sound-effect level they too were used to provide this string-like "orchestral" pads and as technology improved this synthesised "orchestra" emulation grew to be even more orchestra-like but it is still keyboard music. Messrs Wakeman, Emerson, Banks, Rudess et al use these orchestral sounds as keyboard instrumentalists to accompany their own dazzling lead-breaks and those of their band mates and the Electronic Musician is no different. In using a string-like pad he is not (necessarily) attempting to sound like an orchestra per se, he is using it to perform the same, or similar, accompaniment role. [I would love to be in the room when someone tells Rick Wakeman that he should stop playing violin sound and learn to play a real violin instead LOL].

We have come to accept (and respect) that use of keyboards to replace other instruments in this way. When we listen to Yes or ELP we don't decry that as fakery and wish they'd used a real orchestra instead, rather that we have accepted that "electronic emulation" as a musical form in its own right. That acceptance is undoubtedly made easier because the "electronic" musicians involved are playing along side other musicians who are using electrified-acoustic and acoustic instruments so when we see a "live" electronic band (such as Tangerine Dream, JM Jarre or Kraftwerk) no one bats an eyelid when no traditional instruments are used (okay - TD is perhaps a poor example). 

The distinction (it seems) comes when the EM musician is not part of a "live" band or when programmed (or pre-recorded) music is used as a backing to live performance, as seen by the proliferation of "Keep Music Live" stickers when midi started to be used in a live setting during the 1980s. As we know, midi didn't kill off live music and it could be argued that it managed to inject a bit of life into it; and the same can also be said of use of backing tracks to some extent, as long as they are used openly and honestly, and where all those who are on stage are actually playing something (I didn't pay to watch a dogdamn mime). [Watching OMD live in 1979 "Winston" was probably the most dynamic and charismatic of the performer on stage Wink]. Liking or disliking that kind of live/programmed performance is a matter of personal preference that has little bearing on whether or not you liked their music in the first place - enjoying a band on album is a different kind of pleasure to seeing them perform it live and we are more forgiving of an on stage cock-up than we are to one committed in the studio. Very few bands have live albums that are rated higher than their studio offerings after all, so perhaps the whole playing live thing is a bit of red-herring, or maybe it's not as important as it first appears. 

Where Electronic Music genres really differ from "conventional" music genres is that the majority of it is produced by solo artists (even when working under a band name) and they are often not live performers so the restrictions of what you can and cannot do on stage no longer hold any value. In producing music in this one-man-band way the solo EM musician isn't simply emulating the roles of the "missing" band members because that band or combo concept of drum, bass and rhythm/lead is no longer valid. Now the once strict demarcation of roles (of instruments and instrumentation) within a band can be broken down, shuffled, rearranged or discarded as required. Of course once that has been done the idea of then recruiting a bass player, a rhythm guitarist or an oboist to join the "band" becomes somewhat redundant.

In an earlier post I equated the use of studio software with Mozart using staff paper to notate a piece of music he was composing (and I have little doubt that Mozart would have loved ProTools and Cubase), and that analogy isn't wholly accurate because the studio software can record performance directly whereas Mozart would compose on the piano then copy down the notes he had played manually onto the paper. And unlike Mozart, who had to wait to hear his piano-composed sheet-music notation played by an orchestra, the EM musician can hear it in real time as he plays it. So whether the EM musician is placing notation on a piano-roll using a mouse or playing and recording it directly via midi is somewhat irrelevant. That he can modify each note manually is not unique to the EM musician, using software like ProTools all "conventional" musicians can do this too. Of course just because a tool exist that allows performed notes to be modified the assumption is that it is used all the time. As with Auto-tune - if you can hear that it has been used at all then it has been used incorrectly.

So there are lots of reasons for not liking EM and for distancing yourself from it but all those reasons exist for "conventional" music too...

What?
Daniele Spadavecchia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 21:33
EM has a huge potential that has been barely tapped into compared to its acoustic and electric counterparts.
Rock had a hard time at the beginning even if it was making its own fans go crazy as it was opposed by a more traditionalist culture and yet, without it we would have never listened to prog rock!
I don't like all the EM, but I always go crazy for its sounds. As a teenager during the 80's electronic pop I used to think that guitars were a thing of the past.
What we hear today as EM could be similar to early rock in the sense that it became seminal for a musical peak time later on. At the moment it is used in many ways especially commercially as it is easy to record and more economic to produce. If there was another cultural movement today like in the 60's I have no doubt many artists would embrace it in a revolutionary way.
What do you think?Ying Yang
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 01:35
I will try and read that post by Dean when I get a spare hour or threeLOL
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:20
No one thinks of the Mellotron as a legit replacement for strings and oboes. I saw a Bowie interview once where he said that when synths came in, the manuals all had directions on how to get accurate acoustic sounds, but the artists ignored that advice in favor of creating new ones. That's a respectable creative stance - to borrow the approximate sound of a clarinet to use as the basis for something new. Borrowing the sound is one thing, to falsely adopt a role is another.

Using computers to turn one set of instrumental skills into a full band is an insult to music. It's arrogant, and music made with this mentality lacks the vitality, the friction of egos, or even the mutual respect you find among a group of people doing the real thing. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 19:15
How is it arrogant if it is more cost effective?  After all, cost would be a consideration in the current "I am entitled to not pay anything for music" times,  right?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 01:35
Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

No one thinks of the Mellotron as a legit replacement for strings and oboes. I saw a Bowie interview once where he said that when synths came in, the manuals all had directions on how to get accurate acoustic sounds, but the artists ignored that advice in favor of creating new ones. That's a respectable creative stance - to borrow the approximate sound of a clarinet to use as the basis for something new. Borrowing the sound is one thing, to falsely adopt a role is another.

Using computers to turn one set of instrumental skills into a full band is an insult to music. It's arrogant, and music made with this mentality lacks the vitality, the friction of egos, or even the mutual respect you find among a group of people doing the real thing. 

Examples?

If the artist has a great vision then sometimes this is a valid approach because you don't want clashing ego's bogging the thing down. Also would you ascribe what you say to a band like Porcupine Tree where there is one overriding ego at work?

What is true is that a pale imitation of the 'real' thing will be exactly that and will not be able to pass itself off as anything else so its doomed from birth anyway. Hence why Steven Wilson choose to work with real musicians , but he still retained his artist vision for the music nevertheless.

EM is not so reliant on these rules. Vangelis , J M Jarre and a whole host of solo artists have proved this. Tangerine Dream have also proved that a band format can work equally well within the genre.

Edited by richardh - April 17 2015 at 01:36
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I will try and read that post by Dean when I get a spare hour or threeLOL

I've just finished reading it. It's quite a journey, but it's an excellent post. I agree with what Dean is saying.

The end result is ultimatelt what matters to me. For a long time in the 80's I was pretty cynical of sampling and sequencing. In fact I was pretty cynical of keyboards in general until I got into prog rock. By the early 90's for a while at least I turned my back on rock altogether and only wanted to hear EM. I came back from that obviously, but my love of EM - especially 90's EM - has remained intact.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 07:32

Couldn't disagree more.

What makes music 'real' just because it's produced by conflicting egos? Do you not think there is mutal respect among a group of leaning heavily on computers to make music? Why wouldn't there be.

It's always great to see hard working, sweaty long haired musicians displaying almost paranormal levels of musical skill, but ultimately what counts is the end result and what it does to ones ears, brains and how it effects you emotionally.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 15:28

No one thinks of the Mellotron as a legit replacement for strings and oboes.

The Mellotron was rendered a treasure because of its lo-fi aspect. The tapes that are "meant to be" choirs, reeds and strings (etcetera) possess their own unique sound, so unique that the 'Tron was embraced as its own entity and became the foundation for seminal '70s albums like Tangerine Dream's Rubycon and numerous others. Keith Emerson is one of the few prog luminaries who avoided using it, and while Rick Wakeman favored the edge that Moog synthesizers have, he used a Mellotron on his solo recordings more often than he did with Yes.
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 16:38
Blacksword, I'm saying there's a sort of friction of expertise among musicians. The best music comes from that, in my opinion. Does anyone hope to hear a great drum part from the fingers or mind of someone who studied piano all their life? I certainly don't. But few people seem to care either way, which is my complaint. 

I read a few musician forums, and it's embarrassing to see the number of rock people who have the click track fetish. It's as if everyone just realized music has a pulse. The choice of making the click a constant babysitter for the band is only hurting the personality, the individuality, in music, which I think is the most important thing.
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 16:52
I like perfection more as a human defined ambition than a promise to everyone with $50 to spend on the right software. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 16:57

I like perfection more as a human defined ambition than a promise to everyone with $50 to spend on the right software. 

Blaming software manufacturers for s.h.i.t. music is like blaming the paint factory for graffiti
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 01:51
^ correct! 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 05:03

The Mellotron isn't an instrument where you can modify the sound without manually replacing the tape stations (a process that took several hours) with specifically recorded tapes (a process that took many days). It is a replicator not a synthesiser. When Tangerine Dream used the Oboe tape set, as they famously did on Rubycon, it sounds (as I said) like an oboe played by a keyboardist, i.e. it doesn't sound like Andy MacKay playing a treated oboe with Roxy Music for example but it still sounds like an oboe, because the sound TD used is the vanilla 'out-of-the-box' pre-recorded oboe sample.

There is a degree of arrogance in all musicians, some more than others, but it's always there. Band dynamics can be a force for good and it can also be a force for bad, compromise can create something new and vibrant or more often than not, it can result in bland mediocrity. There is no magic formula that prescribes or guarantees a positive end result - when it works it's great and when it doesn't it doesn't.

Ego's in bands are over-rated, over-stated and over-played and ultimately destructive. The hours I've wasted as a band manager playing the nurse-maid/diplomat/counsellor, listening to the bleating whine of pouting egotist musicians b*itching on and on about their "contribution" to "their band" and having to break up physical and verbal fights between clashing egos, when all I've wanted to do is tell them to "stfu!" and not have to mediate some seemingly amicable compromise that pleases no one could have been better spent in my experience. Then having to pick up the pieces after that pent-up frictional destructive tension has splintered the band into a demotivated and disillusioned mess, mopping up the tears, re-motivating aggrieved and hurt musician in an effort to salvage something from what remains and keep the show in the road... is that vitality? If so then you can keep it. 

My refuge during all that was to go home and sit at the keyboard and do my own thing. Sure my programmed drumming wasn't a patch on the skill of the band's drummer (who I still rate as one of the best I've ever heard), so my solution to that was to use it sparingly, to the best of my ability and within my capabilities. Hell, my keyboard skills weren't even approaching those of the band's keyboardist, but at least I didn't have to put up with a guitarist screaming "can't you f*cking drum quieter!" before storming out of the rehearsal in a petulant sulk or the stoned bass-player who turned up to a gig without his sodding bass guitar. Six years of that and I was burned-out and bummed-out so finally I walked out. 

Do I miss it? Hell yes; Would I do it again? Hell no (and I have been asked several times by other bands and politely turned them down); but do I regret ever doing it? Hell no - the highs were f*cking marvelous - but the rest I can live without.

It's taken me ten years to even think about going back to noodling away creating my own music that I like without having to deal with "the friction of egos" - if other's like what I create too then that's wonderful, great and ruddy marvellous, but if they don't then *shrug* so what?

Edited by Dean - April 20 2015 at 01:46
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Changing the subject I've never associated 'New Age' with EM at all. New Age to me was more an extension of what Mike Oldfield started with the likes of Tom Newman, Patrick O'Hearn and Stephen Caudel at the forefront. 
I saw Caudel twice in the 80s - both times it was just him on stage with a guitar and a pre-programmed backing track, the result was mesmerising and thoroughly enjoyable, not what you'd expect from New Age, then perhaps it wasn't New Age at all.
What?
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 16:44
That's fair enough for you, Dean, but the whole music making process is turning into an exercise in corner-cutting. I think that confrontation is a fruitful thing. It might just be me, but I feel like the past 10+ years of technology have alienated us as people. Sure, I might be able to talk to you now while I never would have met you before, but what about the quality of communication at home? The balance has to slip while we're putting all this effort into performing for strangers and acquaintances. 

And that's where music is at these days, or at least a lot of it hangs around that ballpark. A song can and will be perfectly tuned, polished, time corrected, compressed...but don't worry, folks, this is nothing a few hours and fifty bucks can't buy. Everyone has the technology to put on a perfect face, and all while avoiding the fight. That sounds nice, but the music doesn't. 
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 07:48
Pardon me for popping back here, folks - I left the forum some time ago, but feel I should just make a comment here. 

If you put all the categorisation to one side: there are, essentially two kinds of music. "Good" music and "Bad" music. Claiming that all electronic music is "bad" is ridiculous and just self evidently wrong. Electronic music has been around since the late 50's (RCA synthesizer) and it can be argued that it goes back much further than that (Telharmonium, 1900's.) 

Even the early period covered a vast range of musical styles: the "modern period" of electronic music (1960's onwards) covers an even larger range of artists and music. 

Most detractors of electronic music assume it's easy to play. Believe you me, if I sat these people in front of my setup and said there y'go, they'd look at me, utterly lost before a maze of LFO's, VCA's, oscillators and mixers. *SOME* electronic music is easier to play. But you still (a) need to be a musician and (b) have to have some technical ability. Can't play a minor scale on a keyboard ? Forget it.

Yes, it is possible for those of a low to middling music standard to release music now. There's a lot of automation possible. But. You are still going to end up with a finished piece which displays little or no musical ability or imagination. The instrument is always just a tool, the person playing the instrument - no matter what it is - makes the difference. Most, alas, people out there are not incredible musicians. Even most musicians are just chord strummers or plinkers or just journeymen. That's the way it is. But to denigrate all electronic music as "easy" is to do it a disservice. 

Moog used to have a slogan - "A new dimension", and it certainly is possible to create a new dimension of music. It's possible to do things now which were utterly impossible or impractical 10 years ago. Most musicians don't. Some do, and the problem is finding the good from the bad. 

But to do down all electronic music is just..... wrong. 

I shall now retreat to my happy retirement from the forum. Thank you all. Exeunt omnes stage left, bearing analogue synthesizer. 

progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 23:14
I got hooked on electronic music through college. I love it!

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345