Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Slaughterhouse (The Noise/Industrial thread)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Slaughterhouse (The Noise/Industrial thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 19:29
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

^^Noice to know. 

I guess drone doom would be welcome here? I'm exploring the genre about as slowly as the songs therein tend to move, but I'm generally liking it a lot. Much of it bears resemblance to Tibetan Bhuddist ritual music. Really digging Earth and Boris and Sunn O))). Any others I need to check out?

I really like Nadja, Black Boned Angel, Khanate, and Teeth Of Lions Rule The Divine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgl3AK8php8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXwcyQufcqU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxGPPDbclKg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNf2PWWLOew
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 03:04

^^Noice to know. 

I guess drone doom would be welcome here? I'm exploring the genre about as slowly as the songs therein tend to move, but I'm generally liking it a lot. Much of it bears resemblance to Tibetan Bhuddist ritual music. Really digging Earth and Boris and Sunn O))). Any others I need to check out?

Never really thought of that music as the exact same culture as dark ambient/industrial/noise, in my experience it seems to be more popular with psychedelic hard rock and doom metal fans, but there is some fanbase crossover as Boris' collaborations with Merzbow prove.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 05:56
I've been watching some Vomir live videos on youtube, what a revolutionary noisician...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 01:49
Some of the punks I hang out with have a side project in a similar vein, titled Skær. ("reef" in Danish)

They're a bit less wall-of-noise and more dark ambient. I think they might even have done a film soundtrack a couple years ago?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 15:43
That was pretty cool and intense, did not expect that. Lots of variation but also lots of tension.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 21:07
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

^^Noice to know. 

Never really thought of that music as the exact same culture as dark ambient/industrial/noise, in my experience it seems to be more popular with psychedelic hard rock and doom metal fans, but there is some fanbase crossover as Boris' collaborations with Merzbow prove.
Whatever relation drone metal has to this thread or the lack thereof, I figured some members here know a thing or two about it, more than most members in the site. I probably could have asked in the Shred since it's a lot of the same people. Anyway, I still haven't heard those Boris/Merzbow collabs. How are they, anyone whose listened to them?

@Sheavy, that Nadja album really hit the spot.

Edited by Polymorphia - April 13 2015 at 21:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 07:35
Well, drone doom's evolution from Earth on to Sunn O))) and onwards does seem to be characterized by a move away from its psychedelic rock/doom metal origins, in order to draw more and more from the darker side of ambient music in terms of composition as well as textural development. It might be difficult to make out at first, though, because of the rock-based instrumentation. Dark ambient does have a cultural kinship with industrial/noise, though, so I guess drone doom belongs here, and that scene is responsible for both noiseniks getting into metal and metalheads getting into noise.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 16:11
Don't you think there is also a link through the faster veriety of metal, with grindcore evolving into noisecore?
Also noisenik is a nice term
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 02:34
I think the common roots there are more on the punk side of things actually. Grindcore's descended as much from the most extreme hardcore punk subgenres, and culturally/ideologically closer to punk than metal for the most part. Noise rock is also squarely a member of punk's family tree, descended either from the No Wave movement in case of the more highbrow groups... or The Stooges' weirder moments filtered through The Birthday Party and The Jesus Lizard.

You do sometimes see noise rock bands adapt grindcore and the occasional death metal influence, e. g. Melt-Banana whom I've been meaning to make a larger analytical post about but don't have time for right now.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 22 2015 at 05:09
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 03:36
Yes, alright, a punk link might make more sense. I have yet to hear Melt-Banana though.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:58
^ I also would add that noisecore didn't really evolve from grindcore, they formed at essentially the same time imho. Brigada Do Odio, Seven Minutes Of Nausea, and such were releasing things at the same time early grindcore was being released by Napalm Death and S.O.B.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:02
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I only heard a little of killing joke and I didn't really care for it, I ought to give their early stuffs a go.

Gave some songs from What's This For a try and I can't say I liked it too much. The vocals especially turned me off.

Edited by Sheavy - April 17 2015 at 09:02
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 19:29

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

^^Noice to know. 

Whatever relation drone metal has to this thread or the lack thereof, I figured some members here know a thing or two about it, more than most members in the site. I probably could have asked in the Shred since it's a lot of the same people. Anyway, I still haven't heard those Boris/Merzbow collabs. How are they, anyone whose listened to them?

@Sheavy, that Nadja album really hit the spot.

Funny you would mention Tibetan ritual music, recently found out one of my favorite Nadja songs, Sky Burial, is named after the Tibetan and Mongol Buddhist funeral custom of placing the body exposed on a mountaintop to be eaten by scavenger animals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuoUld6LZk

Edited by Sheavy - April 19 2015 at 19:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 20:35
I'll post a couple links here. It sounds like some of the earliest avant-garde music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30e1qjlu6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGvJiOBSjYg

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 10:35
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

^ I also would add that noisecore didn't really evolve from grindcore, they formed at essentially the same time imho. Brigada Do Odio, Seven Minutes Of Nausea, and such were releasing things at the same time early grindcore was being released by Napalm Death and S.O.B.
I just listened to Brigada Do Ódio and I was pretty shocked. I did not know that existed back then already...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 08:31
The point stands that a good deal of grindcore and pretty much all noise rock is culturally more punk than metal. Drone doom's in turn influenced by The Melvins who on quite a few of their songs took the "punk in slow motion" aspect of Flipper and early Swans expanding it in an extreme direction. Earth seem to have drawn from not just that but also the heavy psychedelic music that metal evolved out of, however it's still focused more on atmosphere than riffing and textural development over the well-defined narrative structure. (i. e. the opposite direction than what metal did different than psych)

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 22 2015 at 10:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:48
^That's true although Sunn O))) is a little more on the metal side aesthetically.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 03:17
Time for my effortpost on Melt-Banana to appear: I think I might have found a new favourite band in them.

They're like the perfect counter-argument against the stereotypes that punk groups aren't good musicians or interested in ambitious songwriting, and that avant-garde experimental music can't be fun. Not to mention that MxBx (fan nickname) is also a sterling example of extremely violent and aggressive music that's not stereotypically masculine at all. It's fascinating how they can switch gears between many different riffing styles and textures with a rather minimal setup just by way of creative guitar pedals and electronic effects use, fitting it into some pretty inventive and complex song structures while keeping them extremely concise and even catchy. I can't think of many other music groups who buck that many stereotypes at the conceptual level.

I think what keeps all those disparate components together is pulling off the entire grim-but-colourful futuristic-but-kinda-lo-fi dystopian aesthetic which I'm a huge fan of, and which is one of the things I like so much about this whole music culture. MxBx seem to add a distinctly Japanese twist on it, I get a similar vibe from their music as Akira and Ghost in the Shell even more so. So far my favourite of their albums is the cliché pick of Cell-Scape, because that's where that entire conceptual aesthetic Gesamtkunstwerk aspect of their music is realized the fullest. For those who aren't familiar with the band I'll post a couple of my favourite songs from that album:

Heard their earlier, punkier records and the newest one Fetch are just as good though?
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 00:39
It's a bit like Mr. Bungle and Atari Teenage Riot but more Japanese. I will be listening to this.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 03:56
Well I've heard Charlie and Fetch now, both very pleasant. I wouldn't call it dystopian though, it's not very dreamy indeed, but it isn't very cynical either. With the whole J-Pop vibe behind it it's actually rather quirky.
How about Dead C for dystopian noise rock:
HolyMoly is a big fan and this album is growing on me too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>