Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBarclay James Harvest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barclay James Harvest
    Posted: April 07 2015 at 06:00
"Once Again" is easily one of my top 10 prog albums (and possibly top 10 albums), there's something quite magical about this album from start to finish, yet everything else I've listened to by BJH is a bit, well, average. I've just listened to Time-Honoured Ghosts and Baby James Harvest and they don't really do anything for me. Am I alone in this? Which other album of theirs should I listen to?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 06:50
I'll give Once again a listen..

I don't know anything about this band, apart from the fact that Robert John Godfrey was in them for a while. I had Mockingbird on a compilation ablum many many years ago, and it bored me to tears, sounding like something the Moody Blues would have probably rejected.

This does appear to be one of their more popular albums though, so it deserves a listen.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 07:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'll give Once again a listen..

I don't know anything about this band, apart from the fact that Robert John Godfrey was in them for a while. I had Mockingbird on a compilation ablum many many years ago, and it bored me to tears, sounding like something the Moody Blues would have probably rejected.

This does appear to be one of their more popular albums though, so it deserves a listen.

Godfrey did the orchestral arrangements for "Once Again" (and they are some of the best I've heard in prog, listen to "Galadriel").
"Mockingbird" is the track that normally pops up on compilations and, whilst it is a fine song, there are several better ones on the album (imo).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 07:04
Ah, so RJG was on that album. That's a good enough incentive to check it out..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 10:02
I love Once Again very much and it was my introduction to the band, I've never really got into Time-Honoured Ghosts and never listened to Baby James Harvest, but the ones I do like are BJH & Other Short Stories, Everyone Is Everybody Else and Octoberon.
First of all BJH were never that progressive but their arrangements were always rich and interesting plus they did have their more progressive songs.

BJH & Other Short Stories is my favourite although I've seen many mediocre reviews for it, anyway for me it's kind of a magical album with such a cool atmosphere, beautiful, sad and disturbing, It's their most orchestrated album too, filled with beautiful orchestrated arrangements and some heartfelt melodies, check out the songs Medicine Man and The Poet, those are stunning.
Everyone Is Everybody Else is probably their strongest with some of their best material, also contains some of their progiest moments, I'd suggest start with this one. Octoberon is also good and worth checking out if you'll like the others.

Thumbs Up

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 10:37
Octoberon is the only BJH album that I own but I haven't listened to it in years. 
After reading these comments I will dig it out and play it today.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 11:21
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I love Once Again very much and it was my introduction to the band, I've never really got into Time-Honoured Ghosts and never listened to Baby James Harvest, but the ones I do like are BJH & Other Short Stories, Everyone Is Everybody Else and Octoberon.
First of all BJH were never that progressive but their arrangements were always rich and interesting plus they did have their more progressive songs.

BJH & Other Short Stories is my favourite although I've seen many mediocre reviews for it, anyway for me it's kind of a magical album with such a cool atmosphere, beautiful, sad and disturbing, It's their most orchestrated album too, filled with beautiful orchestrated arrangements and some heartfelt melodies, check out the songs Medicine Man and The Poet, those are stunning.
Everyone Is Everybody Else is probably their strongest with some of their best material, also contains some of their progiest moments, I'd suggest start with this one. Octoberon is also good and worth checking out if you'll like the others.

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice, I'll try those ones.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 13:12
One of my favourite bands, to me they do not do much wrong.

From their later output, Ring of Changes is highly recommended.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 15:05
For me, Everyone Is Everybody Else is the best album.
No real classic tracks, but all the songs are quite good and the album has grown on me through the years. It's good from beginning to end.

As for songs, "Mocking Bird" and "Galadriel" from Once Again and "Beyond The Grave" from Time Honoured Ghosts are my favorite studio tracks. "The Poet"  and "After The Day" are my favorite BJH tracks and maybe in my top 10 of best songs overall, from any artist. Absolutely stunning, those two songs.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 18:41
They were one of my favourite groups in my late teens/early twenties. For an introduction you can't do much better than their imaginatively titled 'Barclay James Harvest Live' (1974) album...All the best songs from those early Harvest years (they switched to Polydor for this live album) are on it - and apart from 'For No One', which was so majestically presented on the studio album 'Everyone Is Everybody Else', the live versions are actually better imho. I picked it up brand new for two quid at Makro Halesowen (a card-holder only cash and carry warehouse that had a small, but surprisingly well chosen vinyl record department) just after its release, and wore it out in just a few months on my cheap (but very effective) Connoisseur BD1 turntable. LOL

It's on YouTube in full, so anyone with 75 minutes to spare who wants to get to know this fine band - here you are - fill yer boots!

Thumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 09:51
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

No real classic tracks, but all the songs are quite good and the album has grown on me through the years. It's good from beginning to end.

oooopppppssss listed above!!!

This LIVE album is the best ... absolutely fantastic versions of Summer Soldier and Medicine Man.

Everyone is Everbody Else is a magnificent album and non stop pleasure.

Edited by moshkito - June 25 2015 at 09:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
defectinggrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 10:13
I'm surprised that , no-one has mentioned that they have a song 'Poor Man's Moody Blues'.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 13:57
Originally posted by defectinggrey defectinggrey wrote:

I'm surprised that , no-one has mentioned that they have a song 'Poor Man's Moody Blues'.
ooh yes... love BJHLOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 14:10
Originally posted by defectinggrey defectinggrey wrote:

I always thought that it was funny, because the Moodies went "hip" and "cool" and forgot about the music and any meanings in it. It was superficial!

AND there was nothig superficial about Barclay James Harvest!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 03:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Actually, the LIVE album is the best ... absolutely fantastic versions of Summer Soldier and Medicine Man.

Everyone is Everbody Else is a magnificent album and non stop pleasure.

Ah, that's the same albul YamYam has mentioned, the first live one, from 1974?
Haven't listened to that, but it's the first one I'm planning to check out now!
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 03:43
I love them.They have good singers in Les and John.Also John is kind of an underrated guitarist imo.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 06:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice, I'll try those ones.
Tried them, liked them but still not a patch on "Once Again".
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 06:51
I agree that the 1974 live album is probably the best album to get overall.  I find the band a little frustrating because they are obviously hugely talented and have produced some great songs but their overall sound is just a little too limp and tepid.  A little more drama (especially in the vocals) could have propelled BJH into the big league.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2015 at 20:35

They’ve been a favorite of mine for going on four decades now, though I do agree that they can be a bit on the less-than-dynamic side (“limp” is a little harsh, IMO).  The more progressive tracks, by and large, were provided by the late great Woolly Wolstenholme, who for better or worse was the George Harrison of the group, usually contributing one or two songs per album: In Search of England, Ra, Beyond the Grave, Sea of Tranquility, Moonwater.

Poor Man’s Moody Blues, was done as a joke of sorts, answering a critic’s label of them, but it’s now rightly recognized as one of their classics. Tongue

John Lees: definitely an underrated guitarist.  He absolutely smokes on the live Medicine Man.

EMI did a bang-up job with the reissues of their first four albums, with tons of bonus tracks, mostly singles tracks and BBC recordings, some of songs that don’t have studio counterparts.  The first especially is like a treasure hunt.

The first one I ever bought was Octoberon, which is still my favorite (though perhaps tied with Once Again).  Clap

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 11:25
oh, what a band. I love them and almost got the entire discography.

"Octoberon" and "Everyone Is Everybody Else" are the most interesting studio recordings - from a prog rock perspective - they released during the polydor years.

If looking for something harder you should get the 1974 "Live" of course.

Personally, I'm very fond of "XII" (well, of "Baby James Harvest" too!).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>