Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBarclay James Harvest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 12:06
I agree that the live 1974 album is probably their best album. The studio albums sometimes sound to me a bit too "overproduced", too many strings and such, while in the live recording you get the "pure" compositions, which are simply great, and greatly performed! Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2015 at 15:44
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

I agree that the live 1974 album is probably their best album. The studio albums sometimes sound to me a bit too "overproduced", too many strings and such, while in the live recording you get the "pure" compositions, which are simply great, and greatly performed! Thumbs Up
Been a fan from the early 70's and if you are only going to own one the live from 74 is the one to get.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2015 at 03:51
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I agree that the 1974 live album is probably the best album to get overall.  I find the band a little frustrating because they are obviously hugely talented and have produced some great songs but their overall sound is just a little too limp and tepid.  A little more drama (especially in the vocals) could have propelled BJH into the big league.

I would like to revise this opinion. Prompted by this thread, I have been listening to a number of BJH albums lately, especially Time Honoured Ghosts, Octoberon, Gone to Earth, and XII. Repeated listens have made me realise that there is drama and power in the music. There is a tastefulness to the arrangements rather than a limpness. My initial evaluation was lazy and uninformed.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 18:03
I know I don't have any BJH on CD, only vinyl and I think only Octoberon. I have good memories of the album but listening to it now I don't remember it at all. Have to agree with Green Shield in that it is largely enjoyable but lacks a certain something. Nice guitar work.

Maybe I'll get pilloried for this but reminds me a bit of Chris de Burgh in that there is a lot to recommend but overall a tadge sacharine, or at least a bit shallow.  Same could apply to Moody Blues I guess.
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 18:44
Ah ..... got to the end of Octoberon and now I know why I liked the thing back in the day.

Suicide.

If they ever wrote/recorded a better tune I'd like to know what it was.

"Heard a voice shouting "Don't jump, please for God's sake let me move my car"!"

AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 19:54
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

"Heard a voice shouting "Don't jump, please for God's sake let me move my car"!"

That was a great line. They were very good at putting in humorous bits in otherwise serious songs.

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Maybe I'll get pilloried for this but reminds me a bit of Chris de Burgh in that there is a lot to recommend but overall a tadge sacharine, or at least a bit shallow.  Same could apply to Moody Blues I guess.

That’s perfectly valid.  All three acts had their share of “meh” moments. Ermm

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 05:07
Barclay James Harvest....
I fell in love with this band when I was 14 years old, and today (after 30+ years) is still one of my most beloved bands.
 I read in some of your comments here, that BJH wasn't much into Prog, right? I will have to agree and disagree at the same time. It totally depends on what do you mean by "Prog". If for you 'Prog' means something like King Crimson, Yes, ELP etc, then yes, BJH isn't a Prog band. But if you are fond of bands like Procol Harum, Renaissance, Illusion, The Moody Blues and so on, then BJH should be a "must" for you. Wink
As for the albums you mentioned...
Their first and more "Symphonic" period, (including Robert John Godfrey as a musical conductor), is a wonderful one. It ends with the release of 'Baby James Harvest' which is a not so good album. (But it includes the brilliant 'Summer Soldier' and especially 'Moonwater' in it).
 The "must listen to" album from this first period, is without a doubt 'Barclay James Harvest Live' (1974). It includes most of their best songs, in wonderful versions. (Also, BJH & other short stories is a very good choice).
 Next, they moved to another record label, and tried to become famous. Well, they did it!
Here's a few more albums I would recommend to you as well: Everyone is Everybody else (1974), Octoberon (1976) and Live Tapes (1978).
I hope I helped you somehow... Smile
greetings!
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 10:27
^^^

If you are fond of BJH and the other bands mentioned by The Jester then you'd probably love Mandalaband. Their Eye of Wendor album features the contribution of whole BJH band plus 10CC and Maddy Prior.

The leader of the band was David Rohl, who took the duty of producer for BJH's Octoberon.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - July 01 2015 at 10:27
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2015 at 21:59

^^ The Eye of Wendor also features the Experience’s Noel Redding, Justin Hayward, and Sad Café’s Ian Wilson and Paul Young.  Great prog concept album although the story is a bit clichéd.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12