Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDid Floyd make the right decision about Barrett?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 18:31
If Syd had remained with the band, and they were determined to only play music with him, then they would have folded very quickly. Even tracks like `Vegetable Man' and `Scream They Last Scream', which are still cool psych tracks, are pretty incoherent, messy and unfocused, so it seems the well of mixing psychedelic with a cool melodic pop tune like `Lucifer Sam', `See Emily Play' and `Arnold Layne' etc had already started to run a little dry.

Sticking with Syd, they'd be not much more than a brief interesting footnote from the psychedelic era only.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 18:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If Syd had remained with the band, and they were determined to only play music with him, then they would have folded very quickly.

That is the untainted truth, amigo!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 19:21

If Syd had remained with the band, and they were determined to only play music with him, then they would have folded very quickly. Even tracks like `Vegetable Man' and `Scream They Last Scream', which are still cool psych tracks, are pretty incoherent, messy and unfocused, so it seems the well of mixing psychedelic with a cool melodic pop tune like `Lucifer Sam', `See Emily Play' and `Arnold Layne' etc had already started to run a little dry.

Sticking with Syd, they'd be not much more than a brief interesting footnote from the psychedelic era only.
My thoughts exactly.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 21:17
Well this thread was a mistake  Ermm
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 21:18
Tongue
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 22:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

When Pink Floyd were in the middle of their WYWH sessions, Syd Barrett made an unexpected visit to ask if he can rejoin the band, but was ultimately declined. Was this the right thing to do and how would it have impacted the bands sound in the later albums? Comment your thoughts.

With regard to WYWH, etc., do you like what you hear the way it sounds now? I do.  

From a purely financial perspective, I'm certain the other Floyd guys thought they made the right decision.

Well, I do like what I hear in WYWH... a lot. Actually, that might just as well be my favourite album ever, so it's more likely Syd wouldn't have helped, but rather pulled it down.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 22:55
The record label and  / or Syd Barrett`s managers tried to record a third solo studio album from him in 1974. It was not possible. He could not function as a musician again. In fact, his previous  two solo albums ("The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett") were very hard to record (as David Gilmour, Roger Waters and Rick Wright said). Also, in his last days with the band he could not function as a musician. That was the reason Gilmour was asked to join the band. I think that the band took the right decision to survive as a band. And I think that the band became a better band without him. I don`t think that Barrett was asked to join the band in 1975 or that he asked to rejoin the band. 

Edited by Guillermo - April 08 2015 at 22:56
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 23:59
You have to remove bad juju from a group, or the group becomes tainted and eventually stops becoming a group. One can only believe that managers, record label and other band members knew allowing him back would only lead to the inevitable of removing him yet again.

Similar to Rush asking/removing Rutsey from the group after the debut album, health reasons would not allow them to be a group. Tough life changing decisions, but that is the hard part of business.

Who knows what Pink Floyd would have been like with Syd back, I think the question is how long would they have put up with the situation?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 03:43
This reminds me that Roky Erickson's been dealing with very similar issues relating to mental health and substance abuse as Syd Barrett but is not only still alive, he's been recording and touring on a semi-regular basis since the mid-1970s to the point the 13th Floor Elevators re-united recently. I'm not sure exactly how he's managed that, but with Erickson's story in mind it sounds like the "what if?" story in the OP isn't that far fetched.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - April 09 2015 at 03:44
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 04:32
Floyd became perfect after Barrett left. Thanks Syd though for some early influence.

Journies through burning brains account for little studio work methinks.....
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 05:25

Ermm However valid your point is, that wasn't the question asked in the OP.

The questions I would ask are: Why did Syd arrive unannounced and uninvited at Abbey Road in 1975? How did he know that the band where there working on their follow-up to Dark Side of the Moon? And why weren't the members of Floyd aware that he was going to turn-up? 

I suspect that only Jenner or King can answer those questions because it would be an amazing coincidence if the incident happened purely by chance or on a whim.

Edited by Dean - April 09 2015 at 05:26
What?
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 07:19

This is also what I think of that matter.  Syd would not only have prevented PF from becoming a progressive rather than psychedelic rock band; he would have drawn the band into the hole he had fallen into.  He and his music were, as you say, incoherent, messy and unfocussed, and would have become even more so if he had stayed.  If Syd had not been shown the door, Pink Floyd would have folded by about 1970, and now almost forgotten, if not forgotten entirely.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 07:24
I've never heard a member of Floyd say Syd asked to re-join..

I've heard numerous accounts of Barrets visit to Abbey Road, and this was never mentioned.

I agree with WeepingElf. Barrets Floyd would have had a short shelf life. That line up was very much of it's time. IMHO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 08:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The questions I would ask are: Why did Syd arrive unannounced and uninvited at Abbey Road in 1975? How did he know that the band where there working on their follow-up to Dark Side of the Moon? And why weren't the members of Floyd aware that he was going to turn-up? 

I suspect that only Jenner or King can answer those questions because it would be an amazing coincidence if the incident happened purely by chance or on a whim.

I've always had the feeling that the band would have run like hell if they knew an encounter with Syd was eminent, but that's just a hunch. And I agree that the meeting was probably a set up by Jenner or someone else at Abbey Road  that was close to both parties. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

This reminds me that Roky Erickson's been dealing with very similar issues relating to mental health and substance abuse as Syd Barrett but is not only still alive, he's been recording and touring on a semi-regular basis since the mid-1970s to the point the 13th Floor Elevators re-united recently. I'm not sure exactly how he's managed that, but with Erickson's story in mind it sounds like the "what if?" story in the OP isn't that far fetched.
Erickson's "recovery" is indeed a mystery as he's not on any medications a present. At least according to his bio pic from 2007, and updated in 2010, titled You're Gonna Miss Me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 09:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I've always had the feeling that the band would have run like hell if they knew an encounter with Syd was eminent, but that's just a hunch. And I agree that the meeting was probably a set up by Jenner or someone else at Abbey Road  that was close to both parties. 

It was obvious Waters respected and loved Barrett, but it is equally obvious Barrett was long gone. One doesn't write the following lyric without a sense of finality:

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

In regards to Barrett being at the WYWH session, I was always under the impression, based on comments from band members, that he had deteriorated so badly they didn't even recognize him (the photo bears that out).

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 09:19
Unfortunately I've been in the position a few times where one member of the band is preventing the rest of the band from functioning. From what I've read, this was the case with Syd and the rest of Floyd so they had little choice if they wanted to keep PF going. Having said that, I've read that they just "forgot" to collect him on the way to a gig one night so, with the benefit of hindsight, they probably could have handled it better.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 09:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It was obvious Waters respected and loved Barrett, but it is equally obvious Barrett was long gone. One doesn't write the following lyric without a sense of finality:

Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

In regards to Barrett being at the WYWH session, I was always under the impression, based on comments from band members, that he had deteriorated so badly they didn't even recognize him (the photo bears that out).

Respecting someone's past persona is one thing. Dealing with a deteriorating schizophrenic that you helped kick out of the band is another. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 10:03
I remember reading something about David Gilmour in the control room, listening back to the W.Y.W.H. recording, and then saying..."Let's hear it again' and then Barrett said..."Why?..You've already heard it once"Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 10:16
^LOLLOLLOL A good one Todd. That made my day!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>