Topic ClosedMagma Show Review Portland - 04/04/2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma Show Review Portland - 04/04/2015
    Posted: April 08 2015 at 13:33
Hi,

(Show information from the net, is the best I can find, btw. May have errors which I will gladly correct if someone has them)

Vancouver BC (April 2)
Rïah Sahïltaahk (ap 23 minutes)
Köhntarkösz 
Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh 
Zombies

Seattle (April 3)
Not sure what the line up was, but appears to have been the same

Portland (April 4th)
Kohntarkosz (ap 40 minutes)
MDK (ap 38 minutes)
(Break -- Bass Drum/pedals broken)
Sl*g Tanz (ap 22 minutes)
Zombies (ap 6 minutes)

(Same set list as LA April 6th per net information)

Line up:
- Stella Vander / Vocals
- Isabelle Feuillebois / Vocals
- Hervé Aknin / Vocals
- Benoit Alziary / Vibraphone
- James Mac Gaw / Guitar
- Jérémie Ternoy / Piano, Fender Rhodes
- Philippe Bussonnet / Bass Guitar
- Christian Vander / Drums, Piano, Vocals on "Wohldünt"

It was in the middle of "Sl*g Tanz" that I felt tired and thought ... why am I tired and not enjoying this?

It was at that moment, that I had a realization that I would never see this again, by anyone - not even Magma themselves, and appreciate, something that is totally beyond words, and the only thing I could do ... was have serious tears in my eyes. This first happened to me some 40 years ago, when I first saw YES, and I knew when I left the Long Beach Arena, that nothing in rock music would ever get better and stronger than "Tales from Topographic Oceans". The next time, this happened, was seeing Nektar, on the tour that they did most of "Recycled", when I thought the last piece, was a way of saying ... goodbye ... I'm tired ... sick ... disappointed ... unable to continue.  Maybe I am overly attached to some of these things, but that's like saying that people out there are not attached to "Stairway to Heaven" or "Layla" or Elvis!

In the end, this was just another of the great performances that MAGMA has put forth for so many years, which they first showed the American West side on the SF International Progressive Music Festival in 1999. On that day, I was scared, thinking that MAGMA would either be horrible, or it would be fantastic. And I totally forgot that this owner of several of MAGMA's albums -- about 11 of them with one definitly live! -- were sounding fantastic, to the point that I hoped that once in my life I would have a chance to see something like this in person ... and experience, some of the best designed choral pieces ever devised by a human in the history of music! I say "choral pieces", because, honestly, there is no other way to define it. And it almost makes one wonder what a larger choir would do to this ... float us into the stratosfear? Might be scary for some, I suppose!

Portland, on this Saturday Night, was not sold out, but it was quite full and comfortable, which is nice, and the Alladin is a nice place for these things. Accoustics are OK, not perfect, but there really isn't a bad seat in the house.

And they went right at it from the start. Khontarkosz started out and went in its entirety for the whole 40 some minutes. you know right away that this is about to go "great" within a minute! And by the end of the piece, it was already hard to come up with words to describe it ... you're already in another land! And when it's over, after Stella catches her breath she says ... we first did that in 1973! (album 1974 per Wiki).

Right away they went into MDK, and again, and our audience applauded its beginning. If this sounds any better, or worse, than it did 40 years ago, let me know! I can't tell the difference!

Right at the end of it, there was a problem with the Bass Drum, or its parts, and it took a good amount of time to fix. I, fondly, remembered their show in SF when Christian had to spend a good 20 to 25 minutes nailing the drum set down ... and now, I was not surprised that more parts didn't break, because the accents and strength of the drumming was there like none other at all.

When ready to roll, they went into (what I think was) Sl*g Tanz and that closed the show. I am not sure that Portland was ready for this, but the fans that came, sure were. You could almost tell that the French contingent was here ... and it was neat to see ... I'm not the only one that loves these things!

They returned after a very warm applause and did one more piece, that appears to be "Zombies" from Udu Wudu.

Of special mention for this show, from my point of view, were Stella, Christian and Phillipe that pretty much dominated the whole thing. It feels weird to tell you that Jeremie, James, Benoit, Isabelle, and specially Herve, were not outstanding, because they were superb. Herve might turn out to be the best of them all in his lead role for the singing, but Stella, you could tell, was ready to expand and fly at any moment, any where in the music, and I think that some moments were not rehearsed and were just there. It sounded too well defined and designed to come off as true, and sometimes, this is what an improvisational moment can create for you.

All in all, just like before, this was a phenomenal concert and I am just totally surprised that Portland was a stop for them, and I was concerned that only half the building would be filled, but it looked better than that. Portland is not known for being adventurous in its music tastes, when you consider that "Return to Forever" did not play in Portland ... it went to Eugene instead into a Music Hall that was much better suited for them anyway.

it's a treat, that even though this might be the last concert I will ever see, that in the very least, what I have always told people is that they have to grab these things when they happen, because they won't be around otherwise and never again as visible as they can be. Seeing this in person is a different experience than listening to it on a CD or good stereo. it validates its strength and that it can be done at any time and place. And Portland was one such place for one day in this century, so far!

Edited by moshkito - April 30 2015 at 09:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 05:52
Many thanks for the review.  It has really whetted my appetite!  I can't wait to see them - for my first time ever - in Manchester, UK.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 13:43
Thanks for the review! I'm not familiar with the venue - was it a club or more of a hall or theater? Slim's in San Francisco is a club, just a rectangular box - I would love to see them in a small theater!

Although I agree with you that Stella, Christian and Phillipe are the stars, I also think the other players are fantastic - even though they may not shine so much individually, they are part of the machine that makes the performance possible. Of course, they may have been off at the show you saw - at San Francisco I thought everyone was exemplary. I have a fondness for the version of the band that did K.A. (saw them live in Japan around 2005) but I was very happy with the new band too!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 13:57
Hi,

It's a nice sized theater. I think it seats 1600 or 2000 folks ... have to look!

They were all very good and above ... not just those three ... it was a tremendous show, and if I did not show that, I will re-wite the review!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 14:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It's a nice sized theater. I think it seats 1600 or 2000 folks ... have to look!

They were all very good and above ... not just those three ... it was a tremendous show, and if I did not show that, I will re-wite the review!

Wow, I would really love to see them in a theater! I am not complaining though, I was standing five feet from the stage dancing which is great too.

It was just your comment that "It feels tough to tell you that Jeremie, James, Benoit, isabelle, and specially Herve, were not outstanding." I think it could be read in different ways - maybe that they just didn't stand out the way Stella, Christian and Phillipe do, but I feel like the other musicians' roles, especially the keyboardist and vibraphonist, is to support the music, not stand out. So that's why I zeroed in on that comment - otherwise, I got the sense that you thoroughly enjoyed the concert! Smile
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 18:54
The Los Angeles show was superb.  The Echoplex club was not an uncomfortable place for them as I had feared.  It's a cool club, with a nice boho vibe.  Quite relaxed actually.  This performance had a different dynamism than the San Francisco show in 1999.  As a gentleman I met, who had also seen the SF show as well as one in Paris said, "This is more a Rock feel than a Jazz feel."  And he dug it.  Our performance was flawless.  The set was recorded on camera and a small doc crew were about, so perhaps, hopefully we might see this show surface.  ( A different review upcoming on The Melting Watchtowre ).

Edited by Guy Guden - April 10 2015 at 19:31
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 10:58
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

It was just your comment that "It feels tough to tell you that Jeremie, James, Benoit, isabelle, and specially Herve, were not outstanding."

Fixed ... good catch and thank you.
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 21:16
Just got back from the Boston gig, same as the Portland set, wonderful high energy performance. My feet hurt but I had a silly grin all night. Fantastic. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 13:41
My 12 year old son and I saw them in Chicago on Friday. It was his very first concert! Excellent show. The only thing I could have wished for was a back up drummer so Vander could have come up front to sing. He only did one bit from behind the kit. Still an amazing show (of course), and it was sold out. 

Set list:
Köhntarkösz
Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Slaǧ Tanƶ

Encore: Zombies
 Post Reply Post Reply