Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you feel overwhelmed by amount of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you feel overwhelmed by amount of prog?
    Posted: April 09 2015 at 11:33
Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of prog (and music in general) available? We can now listen to countless bands and artists on sites such as Youtube, Spotify, Pandora, etc. I do find them helpful for deciding what I want to spend my money on. But it also can be daunting sifting through so much stuff to find something I like enough to buy.

What I’ve been doing is writing a list of the bands and album titles that perk my interest from discussions on the board and from the reviews on the main Prog Archives site. Then I will see if any are on Spotify so I can check it out. I’ve been pulling back a bit now and try not to listen to too many, so I don’t get overwhelmed by it. I know that with prog we need repeated listens for it to click with us, so it’s hard to decide if a band is worth coming back to later on. Is there anything you do that helps you narrow things down?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 12:18
No.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 12:18
I haven't gotten to the point of feeling overwhelmed, because I haven't adopted the idea that ALL music is free, which has led to a feeling in people of "why not take (try) it ALL?" Having taste is sure to become extinct with the ability to "binge" on everything at little or no cost. The real cost is you've now filled your head up with crap.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 12:27
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No.
Clap
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 12:44
If I felt overwhelmed by it I wouldn't make any myself. Of course there needs to be more. We can always use more. That way I can break down my tastes into something very specific. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 12:49
No, because over the years I've learned what precisely my tastes are, which allows me to ignore vast swathes of what's out there.  In addition, what I've been able to build up as far as a library will suit my needs nicely, so that I don't have to purchase or even investigate much as far as prog is concerned.
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 13:21
very overwelmed. When started out listening to prog it was just the main bands like yes, jethro tull, genesis, pink floyd, but then I started going deeper and deeper and deeper. Now I'm going through the avant garde sub genre. It just seems like it's endless the amount of bands in the prog rock genre.
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 13:45
Just think of the world of prog as a long banquet table laid out for your enjoyment. Those who come to the feast may eat as much or as little of any food as they choose. Mom's not gonna come around and tell you to finish your greens Dead

I do have a lot of prog pending on my to do list though. I always balance new music with older favorites to not totally feel lost in a never-ending scavenger hunt.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 13:58
Even though I breathe, eat and sh*t music (sometimes I listen to it too), I have become totally overwhelmed by all the recorded music out there (prog or not). At some point I wanted to get into more non-rock/non-electronic music but I keep discovering more stuff in rock/electronic. I know what I like and what I don't, so even ignoring stuff that doesn't interest me I'm still overwhelmed by all the potential 'might likes'. 

I actually miss the old days when I could play the same Metallica cassette for a month straight.LOL
Magma America Great Make Again
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 15:03
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I actually miss the old days when I could play the same Metallica cassette for a month straight.LOL

That was me, man...except for the cassette part. I like to bring back old favorites and really dig deep into them. Maybe I'll listen to Ride the Lightning today!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 15:15
Only when I try to stay on top of everything in the field, but I stopped doing that a long time ago.  I feel much better now, thank you. Smile  The trick is to balance staying open to new artists while having a good sense for your own tastes.  This is probably easier for us geezers than for the young 'uns.  There is a lot of good music out there, some of which you will like and some of which you won't.  Listen to your ear's content, but do not feel obligated to like anything no who says you should.  That's part of why I distinguish artists whom I enjoy listening to from artists I respect.  I don't always like what I respect, and quite frankly I don't always respect what I like.  My no-guilt listening policy helps me overcome the apparent contradiction in that statement.  Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 15:42
Not at all! Pure heaven.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 16:04
I've been on a serious buying bender for about five years now & I'm starting to get to the point where its tough to carve out enough time to listen to what I already have and give the new stuff I'm getting every month the time it needs. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 16:37
If I just discovered Prog today I would be so overwelmed.
Thankfully over the years I feel like i've got caught up with the older stuff but have also kept up with the new, still I couldn't imagine just getting into it now, where would I even begin? 
Like Ian i've been on a bit of a binge for many years but it has slowed down a lot the last few. If I can buy 20 to 30 new albums a year i'll be happy.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 16:41
Originally posted by The Sloth The Sloth wrote:

I haven't gotten to the point of feeling overwhelmed, because I haven't adopted the idea that ALL music is free, which has led to a feeling in people of "why not take (try) it ALL?" Having taste is sure to become extinct with the ability to "binge" on everything at little or no cost. The real cost is you've now filled your head up with crap.

Wow, I'll try and stay off your lawn! I think you might be missing the point. Listening to music online for low or no cost allows us to learn what we might like to listen to more of. I listen to everything I can on YouTube or Bandcamp first. If I like it, I purchase the CD, either the electronic version or a hard copy.

As for too much? No. We need to figure how much exploring versus staying with the familiar works best for us.   When I am more tired or stressed, I prefer to stick with what I know. When I am relaxed, I explore the many artists I haven't yet discovered.

Edited by twalsh - April 10 2015 at 00:59
More heavy prog, please!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 17:26
Yes, and I blame sites like Progarchives for presenting too many options!

...But its (mostly) good.  I pace myself--learn about 5-6 new bands every week, listen to samples, keep bands/songs in the back of my mind. Get 2-4 albums per week. I admit, though, that what I get is heavily influenced by what I can afford and what is available.  There are a lot of obscurer albums I want that I can't immediately find anywhere.
Z
adam525 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 18:24
I feel overwhelmed by the amount of crap out there these days due to the internet, but not the amount of progressive music.  I wish there was more of it actually. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 18:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No.
This. Strange posts lately.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 18:42
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I actually miss the old days when I could play the same Metallica cassette for a month straight.LOL

I've been slowly creeping back towards this mode of listening. There in indeed something about melding with every facet and nuance of recorded music in one particular album and then reliving that offering over and over that is very gratifying.

I don't mind the variety and selection out there today, because I became adept at zeroing in on what I like ages ago. "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not." LOL
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 01:47
Originally posted by adam525 adam525 wrote:

I feel overwhelmed by the amount of crap out there these days due to the internet, but not the amount of progressive music.  I wish there was more of it actually. 

progressive music can be crap as well though

I just like to have something good to listen to and actually don't care if its pushing back the boundaries. Those days are long gone imo. What you have in the broadest terms is good and bad music. The internet promotes it all and its just a case of trying to sift through it. I rely heavily on recommendations because I really can't be bothered with streaming music although I probably should. So PA as a resource is vital to me. I trust people here to actually tell me what is good!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>