Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you feel overwhelmed by amount of prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 04:59
Yes, but no !!
Yes, because I inundate myself with copious amounts of it in one go !!
Not really, because when I O.D. on Prog, I just spin me some Singer-Songwriter, New-Wave, Pop/Rock stuff (which I happen to like, of course I'm selective with it all), which gives me a break every now and then.
There happens to be a lot of Prog out there for all us to indulge in these days, so it's always relieving to distance one's self from it from time to time.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 05:11
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No.

yes!!!!!

I'm not overwhelmed by classic 60's & 70's prog, 80's RIO, 60's & 70's JR/F, however obscure they were ... However, the sheer ammount of new stuff that comes out nowadays is so huge that there is no way to keep up...

And TBH, I really don't want to even hear a lot of it, given that 90% of the new stuff is either uninteresting, or derived

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 05:19
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I've been on a serious buying bender for about five years now & I'm starting to get to the point where its tough to carve out enough time to listen to what I already have and give the new stuff I'm getting every month the time it needs. 

ever so totally... I've really stopped buying many new stuff that I will probably never have enough time to really dig in deep

And TBH, even in my favored RIO and JR/F, I'm tired of hearing the same old new stuff that doesn't go further

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

If I just discovered Prog today I would be so overwelmed.
Thankfully over the years I feel like i've got caught up with the older stuff but have also kept up with the new, still I couldn't imagine just getting into it now, where would I even begin? 
Like Ian i've been on a bit of a binge for many years but it has slowed down a lot the last few. If I can buy 20 to 30 new albums a year i'll be happy.

does that mean that I have a chance to grab back the #1 spot for reviews?? Tongue

Just kidding, of course. I'm down to buy less than 10 prog albums a year (even coupled with jazz, I'm not over 20/year), though I will admit I sample more via the web than before

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 05:48

No.

For once, we are in complete agreement.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 18:40
At the moment yes because i have bought more music than i can listen to much less totally soak in. My tastes are too broad for my own good but this is NOT a bad problem to have :) I have learned to digest things as i am able and allow myself to be overwhelmed. Too much music is a good thing and the reason sites like this exist is to get some idea where to explore in the ever growing ocean of music
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 19:24
Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the amount of prog (and music in general) available? We can now listen to countless bands and artists on sites such as Youtube, Spotify, Pandora, etc. I do find them helpful for deciding what I want to spend my money on. But it also can be daunting sifting through so much stuff to find something I like enough to buy.

What I’ve been doing is writing a list of the bands and album titles that perk my interest from discussions on the board and from the reviews on the main Prog Archives site. Then I will see if any are on Spotify so I can check it out. I’ve been pulling back a bit now and try not to listen to too many, so I don’t get overwhelmed by it. I know that with prog we need repeated listens for it to click with us, so it’s hard to decide if a band is worth coming back to later on. Is there anything you do that helps you narrow things down?

Poeghost, this is true what you said above. There are so many bands out there (which is a good thing btw) therefore making it difficult even for bands overall to be heard. Fortunately the tag prog filter makes it easier in our searches however there are so many new prog albums being released thus besides the tag, a referral is very important.     Hug
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 19:36

No.

Ditto, I feel overwhelmed by all the commercial crap out there.  I can take refuge in good prog and other quality music, so it doesn't bug me that much.  When faced with so many choices you need to be selective and not worry so much about if you are missing something...

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 10 2015 at 19:38
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ginodi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 20:58
I have bought lots of Cd's and stuff off Itunes just within the last two years, and I am always keeping an ear down to something new (at times, this new means old stuff I haven't heard (Ange, for example, and I don't speak or understand a word of French, but I love that band). So, it is either through this site or You Tube, where I check it out before buying. Yes, it has all been Prog.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 22:21
There can only be overwhelm if you feel compelled to keep up with any and every new album that your friends or people on PA are raving about.  I am content to be very selective, buy very little music even in a year but keep spinning the ones I like over and over to absorb it completely.  It is the way that works best for me.  I O.D-ed on extreme metal and hardly feel like listening to it anymore.  I never wanna O.D on prog.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 07:02
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Even though I breathe, eat and sh*t music (sometimes I listen to it too), I have become totally overwhelmed by all the recorded music out there (prog or not). At some point I wanted to get into more non-rock/non-electronic music but I keep discovering more stuff in rock/electronic. I know what I like and what I don't, so even ignoring stuff that doesn't interest me I'm still overwhelmed by all the potential 'might likes'. 

I actually miss the old days when I could play the same Metallica cassette for a month straight.LOL

Precisely - thank you zravkapt!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 07:52
Sometimes I think so. Since this internet thing started it's allowed me to discover bands I had no idea existed. Once I found a few new ones that caught my interest the hook was set and my addiction was fed. Damn you internet!!! Hearing one good album by a new band only means I have to hear another by that same band and by extension one by a band that's compared to them. Forever wanting to recapture that rush of endorphins that I had when hearing Court of the Crimson King, ELP's self titled or Close to the Edge as a young pup back in the day has become almost an obsession. With more years behind me than in front I sometimes feel compelled to experience everything musical in the off chance it will "be the one". That doesn't mean I wish there was any less of it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 07:53
Since I discovered this forum, yes.  I process music, particularly complex music, very slowly and so it takes a lot of time to absorb even one album, more time than I have to spare certainly.
So much prog, so little time.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 17:46
Yes, but only because of my limited time and money (I still pay for music).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 20:19
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

No.

For once, we are in complete agreement.

Well, you can't be wrong all the time.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 07:30
I've been doing a similar thing as poeghost. I've been compiling a list in a Word file for years now, combed primarily from Prog Archives, Rate Your Music, GEPR, and lately Bandcamp. I keep track of what I own (so that I don't buy something I already have -- it happened to me twice!) and what I really, really want in the list.

The want list was primarily determined by reviews and ratings at PA. Recently I have started listening to bands beginning with the letter A (now up to Ar) by looking for their music on YouTube. This has increased the number of albums on my want list and even resulted in a few being taken off the list. There were even a couple albums rated below 3.00 on PA that ended up on the list. I expect this "listening project" to never end. In many ways, it's similar to a family genealogy. There is no end to it.

So, yes, it's overwhelming, mostly because I have to juggle this hobby with all my other hobbies and responsibilities. But, it's a GOOD kind of overwhelming. If one is to be overwhelmed, I can't think of a better way to be overwhelmed.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 08:11
I think the over-saturation leads to a great selection.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 08:50
Yes I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of Prog out there, but as progaadvark says, it's a positive kind of overwhelming.

I have already a lot of music which I have not listened to with enough attention and dedication, so in fairness I should first spend my time getting to know better what I already have rather than buying even more music, but now and then with new releases or high praises in PA, I can't help buying some new stuff (meaning really new or old albums I do not have or know), although recently I buy much less than years ago.

The days when I knew by heart most of the music I owned are long gone and will never come again, for good or for bad. Now I know much more music but a lot of it I know much more superficially.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 13:10
When I first came to this site, probably 10 years ago, possibly more, I compiled a list of about 80 albums I wanted to get.  This was mainly in preparation for Nearfest, where I would splurge on CD purchases every year.  Of course, once at Nearfest I tended to ignore the list and get whatever looked interesting or was from bands/musicians that I knew I liked and/or recommendations from friends, not to mention bands that performed that I hadn't heard before (or heard of, in many cases) and just had to get something by after seeing them perform. 

At this time, I have barely a quarter of the albums on that list.  Of course, I have hundreds more than were never on the list.  I don't do lists anymore.

It can be a bit overwhelming, especially when I feel like I should be giving more time to the 500+ albums I already own, and spending less money on new ones.  Overall though, I think the massive amounts of music available, in prog related genres alone, is fantastic.  I just don't feel the need to have everything or chase down any remotely interesting bit of music.  I know what I like at this point, though I'm always open to new possibilities.  I do, however, try to limit my purchases these days, as I have so much to listen to already (I probably buy 20-30 albums a year, at the most, for the past 5 years or so).  Plus, I'm still a hard copy fetishist, so I have to have CD's, which means finding space for them.  Honestly, digital to me seems to make it too easy to not really deeply explore specific albums and to just constantly listen to new stuff (not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not for me).
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 13:27
I'm still getting through the 70s stuff (only heard 3 full albums that were released this year), so I wouldn't entirely know how much there is. I've seen all the stuff in Prog Magazine that I keep telling myself I'll listen to every month Confused I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed though (you can't have to much of a good thing) Smile It's kind of sad that it's impossible to get through all the prog that's available in my lifetime, but also awesome that I'll never run out. Either way, I'm glad I didn't stick to being a metal fan - so much crap to sift through nowadays before you find something different/worthwhile...
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 03:20
Never!! Love being overwhelmed and confused in the prog world.
Makes it a lifetime commitment to discover new music. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>