Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrain Salad in Aspic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [35.14%]
72 [64.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 11:57
Aspic today, Salad tommorow
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:15
Two primarily quintessential albums from '73, but I feel Larks'' had more musical intrigue around every corner than Brain'. The latter suffered from sections of it seemingly catered to Emerson's vanity as well as its clunky opus, Karn Evil 9 (3rd Impression). It was indeed ELP at its most excessive.

Edited by Rednight - April 17 2015 at 12:30
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:19
Two of my favorite albums.
But Larks' Tongues by a lark's tongue.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 14:09
Love 'em both but gotta go with Brain Salad Surgery. I just tend to listen to that one more.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 14:17

I agree with the cheese and pasta comments on BSS.......so Larks Tongues it is.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 18:13
Larks by million miles.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 19:37
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Two primarily quintessential albums from '73, but I feel Larks'' had more musical intrigue around every corner than Brain'. The latter suffered from sections of it seemingly catered to Emerson's vanity as well as its clunky opus, Karn Evil 9 (3rd Impression). It was indeed ELP at its most excessive.

Interestingly that part was just what emotionally most got me hooked on at the very first listenings, its strong melodies play a great part on my feelings about it, as their whole mostly excessive instruments playing as well - another ELP's "trademark" that can not miss in their music at all.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 14:24
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Interestingly that part was just what emotionally most got me hooked on at the very first listenings, its strong melodies play a great part on my feelings about it, as their whole mostly excessive instruments playing as well - another ELP's "trademark" that can not miss in their music at all.

KE9 3rd Impression blows most symph prog out of the water for its first 7 minutes. But typical of ELP it then goes on bit of a detour before just about hitting the target at the end. The wandering instrumental bit I think is meant to depict a battle between the computer and the humans. Computer wins in the end! 
Emerson did use it as a springboard for a Hammond solo which on the album is a bit lame. What he really wanted is on the Cal Jam performance or the live triple album version. Both those smoke the album version easily.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 16:42
^It's just that "KE9 3rd Impression" strays from the formality that preceded it on the album, setting it apart in a blatant way. Am in agreement about the Cal Jam performance. The zenith period in the group's career.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 19:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

KE9 3rd Impression blows most symph prog out of the water for its first 7 minutes. But typical of ELP it then goes on bit of a detour before just about hitting the target at the end. The wandering instrumental bit I think is meant to depict a battle between the computer and the humans. Computer wins in the end! 
Emerson did use it as a springboard for a Hammond solo which on the album is a bit lame. What he really wanted is on the Cal Jam performance or the live triple album version. Both those smoke the album version easily.

Hi Richard, right on, great call you make, it belongs in the tour Someone Get Me A Ladder, which clearly shows their peak in live shows for me. The gig at the '74 California Jam is available on YouTube, but so far listened just to the whole KE9, pure delight indeed! And Carl Palmer's druming too felt much stronger to me, besides his powerful drum solo at the end of the 1st. Impression. The 3rd Impression performance really felt like you pointed out Thumbs Up, and at the end Keith meant quite better that the Computer wins the battle by a wide margin LOL.  A must have indeed, found out that it is in the CD1 of the album Then & Now (1998), already in my shopping cart.

Edited by Rick Robson - April 20 2015 at 19:14

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 14:48

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hi Richard, right on, great call you make, it belongs in the tour Someone Get Me A Ladder, which clearly shows their peak in live shows for me. The gig at the '74 California Jam is available on YouTube, but so far listened just to the whole KE9, pure delight indeed! And Carl Palmer's druming too felt much stronger to me, besides his powerful drum solo at the end of the 1st. Impression. The 3rd Impression performance really felt like you pointed out Thumbs Up, and at the end Keith meant quite better that the Computer wins the battle by a wide margin LOL.  A must have indeed, found out that it is in the CD1 of the album Then & Now (1998), already in my shopping cart.

Yep nice 2 CD set ( great artwork by Giger especially!) and also their is also a DVD featuring the a chunk of the Cal Jam performance when you see the Moog sprout wings! Palmer is indeed superb and Lake makes a nice contribution guitar wise as well. Although its probably not that important I love the slight pause before Emerson launches into the solo. His timing is immaculate. Its almost sad watching the whole thing and knowing they would never scale those heights again.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 11:23
BSS by several parsecs.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 11:54
Larks - a groundbreaking album

And, hate as you will, but ELP is just awful in every possible way
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:10
Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Shark Lungs In Asterix
Mark's Lounge In Aspen
Tart's Bon In Austria

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 22 2015 at 12:11
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:15
Congrats on editing.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:20
LTIA
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 12:43
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Congrats on editing.

Thanks. My fingers won't work properly today.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 10:37
As Gully mentioned LTIA was indeed a groundbreaking album and imo so was the first ELP. Sadly as time went on ELP felt the need to inject lame humor (cheese and pasta..) into many of their 'beer-hall songs' which imho ruined the flow of the albums.
One wonders if Greg Lake, after dealing with Fripp's  'seriousness' while in the early KC, needed to vent a little and let loose with some humor or was this something from Emerson? At any rate it ruined my enjoyment of their music when these tracks interrupted the other longer serious pieces of music.
btw....I do like ELP.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 14:53
In the battle of Asia predecessors, Mr. Fripp's group noses out Mr. Emerson's.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 02:50
^ shouldn't it be Mr Wettons and Mr Palmers given that neither Emerson or Fripp were ever in Asia?Wink

Edited by richardh - April 26 2015 at 02:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>