FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosediPod classic discontinued

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPod classic discontinued
    Posted: April 11 2015 at 15:51
As Apple introduced the new iPhone and the Apple Watch, the iPod classic was quietly and unceremoniously laid to rest.  I only found this out today.  I have been using a 6th generation 120gb classic since I bought it in December 2009.  I have used it pretty much every day (for at least an hour a day) since I got it it.  The memory is nearly full with well over a 1000 albums.  For some reason today I had a bit of a panic.  I realised that I had been using the device for nearly six years now and that it might not last for many more years.  I looked on Amazon to see how much a replacement would cost and was horrified to see that for a new 7th generation iPod (160gb) you have to pay about £500 sterling.  Last year a new iPod cost £189.  This is how I found out that the Classic has been discontinued.  Obviously a few opportunists bought some new devices before they were discontinued in an attempt to profiteer.  This means that even second hand Classics will now cost a fortune and the price will continue to rise as they get more scarce.

I never thought Apple would get rid of the device that the company was built on.  I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Classic as a back-up for when mine is kaputt, but these are selling for about £180, which is a hell of a lot for a second hand device.

I've looked for alternatives but can't find any.

Is there another MP3 player out there with mass storage and no touch screen (which I really don't want)?  Is there anything anywhere near as good as the iPod's navigation system (easily accessible using the excellent wheel)?

Does anyone else feel that an old friend has just been allowed to wander into his own grave?

I think I need to lie down for a while now.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 07:05
I've never used an iPod so I can't really compare, but I use a Sony Walkman NWZ-E454 which I've had for a few years now and I've always found it easy to use, and it's around one fifth of the price of the latest iPod (or it was when I bought it, it's probably been superseded by now).
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 08:21
I shed a tear for those lost. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 16:02
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

As Apple introduced the new iPhone and the Apple Watch, the iPod classic was quietly and unceremoniously laid to rest.  I only found this out today.  I have been using a 6th generation 120gb classic since I bought it in December 2009.  I have used it pretty much every day (for at least an hour a day) since I got it it.  The memory is nearly full with well over a 1000 albums.  For some reason today I had a bit of a panic.  I realised that I had been using the device for nearly six years now and that it might not last for many more years.  I looked on Amazon to see how much a replacement would cost and was horrified to see that for a new 7th generation iPod (160gb) you have to pay about £500 sterling.  Last year a new iPod cost £189.  This is how I found out that the Classic has been discontinued.  Obviously a few opportunists bought some new devices before they were discontinued in an attempt to profiteer.  This means that even second hand Classics will now cost a fortune and the price will continue to rise as they get more scarce.

I never thought Apple would get rid of the device that the company was built on.  I'm thinking of getting a refurbished Classic as a back-up for when mine is kaputt, but these are selling for about £180, which is a hell of a lot for a second hand device.

I've looked for alternatives but can't find any.

Is there another MP3 player out there with mass storage and no touch screen (which I really don't want)?  Is there anything anywhere near as good as the iPod's navigation system (easily accessible using the excellent wheel)?

Does anyone else feel that an old friend has just been allowed to wander into his own grave?

I think I need to lie down for a while now.

Yep.
I am with you.
Love my I-Pod.
When mine dies out,I am sure I can find another one second hand.I hope.
Shake & bake.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2015 at 21:26
Same here.  I have two iPod classics, one for the car and one for whenever else, and I'll never put my music on my phone.  I want a separate device for music only, so I'm sad about this news.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 03:20
Is there not a chance Apple are simply going to bring out a new variation of it....I don't know, perhaps with 200gb or over, etc?

Just looking at those Amazon and Ebay prices makes me

Surely Apple would notice how much demand there is for these at the moment and want in on that all over again? I mean, they're not making a cent off the Ebay/Amazon sales, so couldn't they just wipe those over-priced second hand Ipods out altogether by offering their own new product?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 08:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've never used an iPod so I can't really compare, but I use a Sony Walkman NWZ-E454 which I've had for a few years now and I've always found it easy to use, and it's around one fifth of the price of the latest iPod (or it was when I bought it, it's probably been superseded by now).
I had a Sony for a few years and I was really happy with it. The only one I have now that works is a Cowon, and for me it's the best I ever had: it's practical, has a nice interface, lots of funcionalities (it even has karaoke LOL) and a really good audio output (better than the iPod's I tried to my ear). I put some of my CD's there on Flac and it sounds pretty good Smile
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 09:18
I was a fan of the iPod classic as well, and it was the only thing I would ever buy from Apple.

Oh well...
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2015 at 22:06
Funny, several years ago Microsoft phased out their Zune devices, to much the same comments as the OP listed. Microsoft now offers the music service thru their Xbox as Xbox Music. The Marketplace still exists and you can download all you want with a subscription, no need to "buy" any songs.
I have been a Zune user since Nov 2006, when they were first introduced. We still have 3 of them in our house, in use and operating very well. The ZuneHD 32GB is the best player I have ever owned....PERIOD.

I too looked to buy a couple "extra" and could not find them for less than triple the original price...Luckily I picked up a couple extra HD for my 1st generation Zune30's, the HD model is flash drive memory based...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:09
Had the same feeling when I found out. What do I do when my iPod dies?

I have been reading about the FiiO player. Anyone know anything about those?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:46
I've got a Nano that I use when cutting the grass, doing landscaping around the house or reading on the patio. I can also plug it into the car stereo through the Aux jack so I usually load it up with a few albums before a long drive. It sucks when you are used to a technology and the supplier decides to discontinue it, but hopefully something else will be available in the wings. But don't be surprised if it costs an arm and a leg. Those b*****ds are relentless when it comes to trying to get their hands on our hard earned money. Just look at the cost of the freakin' iWatch. Like it doesn't have everything that your phone already has in it.  Pass!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 15:56
I've had 3 iPods over the last 10 years. The original iPod, 40GB of space I believe, which died within a year or so. A 120GB classic that was stolen. Now I have a 160GB iPod Classic since 2010, and it has shown no signs of breaking down. I know people who have had the same 160GB iPod since they came out so I'm not too worried about getting a new one, however, I wish I knew they were going to discontinue sooner, I would have bought a back up. Hopefully they'll come out with a new version of the iPod. I also don't like having music on my phone.

Edited by darkshade - April 15 2015 at 15:57
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 12:37
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Had the same feeling when I found out. What do I do when my iPod dies?

I have been reading about the FiiO player. Anyone know anything about those?

The FiiO does look to be a good option.  The company make a range of excellent music player amplifiers and the X range of player are supposed to sound very good.  The FiiO X1 is reasonable priced (£99) and looks a bit like an iPod classic.  It has no internal memory - you have to put music onto a micro SD card.  There is a new version of the X3 coming out later this month for £159.  It promises an improved UI (the X1 is less than perfect in this respect - apparently nowhere near as good as the iPod UI). The X3 is compatible with APE, FLAC. ALAC, WMA and WAV files.  I think I will go for a new X3 as I like the idea of being able to listen to lossless files.  
5580011LARGE
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:12
^Nice. I could just shuffle the songs without plugging in the device itself.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:17
Yes, these big portable players should be able to play just about any file type. That's something Apple should look into if they reintroduce the iPod.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 18:34
Do not worry, they will.
 Post Reply Post Reply