Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNektar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:21
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Journey to the Center of the Eye is an amazing album to me. I heard it described as a psychedelic album once somewhere, but to me it is the heart and soul (and eye) of Prog. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Remember the Future is nice. A Tab in the Ocean is nice too, but I find some of the base overbearing. Neither of these albums has the rich and creative use of timbre to match their debut.

Recycled is a little too slick for me, built up out of endless gag-me-with-a-spoon style commercial hooks, but there are times when I'm up for it.

"Gag me with a spoon!"
              -Moon Unit Zappa

A little too slick? Do come along. And my kids used to describe things as "nice" when they were in kindergarten. Can you throw a little more details this way, please?

Wow, I don't often get requests to say more - Oh m'gosh! I just listened to both Journey to the Center of the Eye and Recycled on a long car trip the last weekend, so they were freshest in my mind. In fact I was planning on starting a music on long car trips thread if there wasn't one already. I enjoyed hearing Recycled even though I've been critical of it. There's a geeky immaturity to it in addition to all the hooks that kind of gets to me the same way too much maple syrup does, but, wtf, it fit well with pushing that accelerator down. Now I think I'll listen again to A Tab in the Ocean and Remember the Future this again evening and report back. I referred to them simply as "nice" as a comparison to the high regard I have for Journey to the Center of the Eye.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 13:40
Thorough and precise!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 00:39
A Tab in the Ocean and Remember the Future are really good albums. What I like about them is the prominence of the guitar to the point of including some histrionics not frequently heard in classic era Prog. I'm not as into keyboards as some of the other Prog folk. The base is, once again, a little annoying to me, especially in Tab, because of how prominent it is in the mix and then it quite a number of times just does a sort of pulse following the drums. A lot of the compositions are driven by the pairing of drum and base, which transition between a lot of cycling patterns which can be kind of interesting. They could use more texture beyond base and drums in those sections. There is some organ in Tab, but it loses out in the mix. There was a lot more organ in Journey to the Center of the Eye. There was also a lot more effective use of timbre in general in Journey. And rather resourceful use of timbre; there weren't a lot of gizmos back then. Journey made a great deal of use of delays and multiple delays, probably the best use of delay anywhere by anyone up until Henry Kaiser came along more recently (in the 80s and onward). Tab departed from the use of delays and it comes across to me as a more stark and barren landscape perhaps because of it. Remember the Future is similar in this fashion, though a little more melodic in a way that seems to foreshadow Recycled. In fact it sounds like Recycled may have re-used one or two guitar guitar riffs from Remember the Future. Remember the Future eventually gets to incorporating a rather funky wah sound toward the end and I just have to turn it off at that point. I've never owned Down to Earth, so I don't know what that sounds like.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:09
Down to Earth is a prog station-of-the-cross to obtain, so run, don't walk to your nearest retailer (web site) and order it up.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 20:45
Down To Earth is a quirky album in the Nektar catalogue. It feature lots of horns, shorter songs, and HAWKWIND eccentric Robert Calvert, playing the role of Ringmaster. It's a concept album about life in a Circus. It works. Great album, the playing is there, and Taff uses a larger variety of keyboards.
No two Nektar albums sound the same, really.
I don't understand why .....Sounds Like This....... is not rated highly. Cranking this one up shakes the foundation of your house !! Explosive and indulgent - awesome album.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 21:14
My first exposure to Nektar was Remember the Future and loved it, still one of my favorites.  For some odd reason, the only other album I have by them is A Tab in the Ocean.  My catalog is too small, I at least need to get all the 70s stuff, starting with Journey to the Center of the Eye. 
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 17:01
Finally dug up my copy of the 2004 CD reissue of Remember the Future - I really love this album, I wouldn't put it in my top 10, parts of the music get repetitive to me and parts are almost fantastic but then are kind of a let-down. Also, it seems like the keyboards could be more integral - there are times when it sounds like a 4-piece with two guitarists, bass & drums. But this is nitpicking - certainly a classic album!

Makes me want to start digging around at Amoeba and Rasputin for some of the other albums! I have and love A Tab in the Ocean, never got deeply into the others like Journey to the Center of the Eye, Recycled, etc. Maybe it's time...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 18:19
IIRC, there were a number of releases of RTF on CD that were poorly done from quad masters leaving many of the parts unheard. My first copy of it was on 8-Track (yup, that's how old I am) and I listened to it almost non-stop in my car along with Manfred Mann's Solar Fire and Man's Back into the Future. For you young kids out there, we oldies had these bulky 8-Track tape things (before in car cassette decks became vogue) that used to cut out in the middle of songs to change to the next track on some songs. One of the truely horrible inventions of our times.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 18:47
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

IIRC, there were a number of releases of RTF on CD that were poorly done from quad masters leaving many of the parts unheard. My first copy of it was on 8-Track (yup, that's how old I am) and I listened to it almost non-stop in my car along with Manfred Mann's Solar Fire and Man's Back into the Future. For you young kids out there, we oldies had these bulky 8-Track tape things (before in car cassette decks became vogue) that used to cut out in the middle of songs to change to the next track on some songs. One of the truely horrible inventions of our times.
I am just young enough/lucky enough to never have suffered through 8-tracks - I had never heard of songs cutting out in the middle, I thought that not having gapless playback was annoying enough...

I believe the 2004 reissues were done from the quad masters?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 22:18
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I am just young enough/lucky enough to never have suffered through 8-tracks - I had never heard of songs cutting out in the middle, I thought that not having gapless playback was annoying enough...

I believe the 2004 reissues were done from the quad masters?
That might explain this comment "Also, it seems like the keyboards could be more integral - there are times when it sounds like a 4-piece with two guitarists, bass & drums"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 22:30
Good solid prog band.....I still play Tab and Remember The Future from time to time.
Time to pull them out and listen again.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:05
The newest album under the Nektar name, Time Machine, is quite excellent. There's a 10 min track called Diamond Eyes - it is a beauty !! And an instrumental called Juggernaut.
And great cover-art to boot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

The newest album under the Nektar name, Time Machine, is quite excellent. There's a 10 min track called Diamond Eyes - it is a beauty !! And an instrumental called Juggernaut.
And great cover-art to boot.
I'm intrigued.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:10
Would anyone put Journey to the Center of the Eye into the Krautrock category? It has that kind of feel in terms of mood and timbre, I was thinking. Not sure if they were ever prone to the same level improvisation. I'm curious what anyone else thinks.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:54
Roye stated that the 'Krautrock' movement was all abuzz around them at the time they worked on their debut, and it was hard not to be influenced by it. So, there is definitely a Krauty element going on. Floyd were also a big influence. And drugs .
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:54
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Would anyone put Journey to the Center of the Eye into the Krautrock category? It has that kind of feel in terms of mood and timbre, I was thinking. Not sure if they were ever prone to the same level improvisation. I'm curious what anyone else thinks.

Also, it was my understanding that they were British expatriates living in Germany, which would make influence all the more possible.

Edited by hieronymous - April 26 2015 at 09:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:05
Thanks both of you. That's enlightening. I'm just getting into Amon Düül II and I love it. Small wonder it appears out in that I so highly adore some common properties with the first Nektar album.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:29
Amon Duul II are a treat - make sure you get Tanz Der Lemminge - just AMAZING.
Yeah, that Nektar debut is a beauty. Been enjoying it since 1989, and it's always a joy to spin.
I have a live DVD from recent years that features an in-depth interview with Roye and Ron, that's where Roye said that it was hard not to have any Krautrock ideas seeping into their music. I think that some of the reviews of the debut here mention Krautrock , so good analysis there, Hackettfan
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 00:32
I have Phallus Dei and Yeti. Tanz Der Lemminge is on order, just waiting for it. Sounds like I have a good one coming.

Edited by HackettFan - April 28 2015 at 00:34
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 04:26
I Bought Recycled - and was VERY disappointed - very much a indie/pop album in my eyes! - It really put me off buying anything else to be honest!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>