Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNektar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 04:32
I like A Tab In the Ocean a lot.

It reminds me of Argus by Wishbone Ash (Tab came first though).
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 20:00
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I Bought Recycled - and was VERY disappointed - very much a indie/pop album in my eyes! - It really put me off buying anything else to be honest!

Don't give up yet! A Tab in the Ocean & Remember the Future are the classic albums - much better place to start IMHO.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 04:58

I Bought Recycled - and was VERY disappointed - very much a indie/pop album in my eyes! - It really put me off buying anything else to be honest!
That is really surprising, coming from one, whom I gather, is fond of many Neo-Prog and Sympho-Prog bands. I agree that Recycled is full of catchy hooks, almost quite 'commercial' sounding even. My thoughts are that Recycled is the most symphonic sounding of their albums, the music is very dense, the Moog arrangements (by Larry Fast) are dramatic. Some of the music can get complex at times too. I wish you would give it more time.
And like I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think any 2 Nektar albums sounded the same.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 09:10
My favourite has always been the debut, and it usually gets spun during the summer months. I have some very good memories of listening to it in a park in Copenhagen just after coming home from the Roskilde Festival.
 I do remember digging Tab, but I honestly can't remember the last time I put it on. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:02

And off in the distance, a dog's bark could be heard.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

That is really surprising, coming from one, whom I gather, is fond of many Neo-Prog and Sympho-Prog bands. I agree that Recycled is full of catchy hooks, almost quite 'commercial' sounding even. My thoughts are that Recycled is the most symphonic sounding of their albums, the music is very dense, the Moog arrangements (by Larry Fast) are dramatic. Some of the music can get complex at times too. I wish you would give it more time.
And like I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think any 2 Nektar albums sounded the same.
It may be that I was listening - expecting something else - I certainly didn't class it as symphonic?? No long tracks on it for a start!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 03:12
Aah !! I take side 1 as a 'song suite' of sorts - it does flow well enough, has some recurring themes, and a lyrical concept. Side 2 is more like 4 songs that stand on their own.
I didn't mean 'symphonic' per se, just 'sounding', which I guess is a rather 'thin' assumption, but the amazing moog arrangements kind of 'symphonise' the whole affair to my ears.
Marvellous Moses is the tip-top piece here, and that gorgeous end passage of the last track is perfect bliss.
And that mind-blowing cover..........
But having said that, I do think somewhat highly of Down To Earth, which you would probably find to be a pathetic album. I urge you to try Remember The Future, or A Tab In The Ocean, failing those, try the debut, if no connection, give up and move on.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 10:08
Picked up Journey to the Center of the Eye - looks like an early German CD release, not one of the remasters. I like it! I've listened before - actually, the keyboardist in my band in college back in the late '80s turned me on to them - he had a lot of the stuff on vinyl - at that time, I borrowed Journey, Tab, RTF, Down to Earth, some album with a blue cover with a woman standing in a waterfall? Maybe even one of the live albums. Tab & RTF are what stuck out to me - I could never get into Down to Earth, I am just not into the circus theme.

But back to Journey to the Center of the Eye - it is more raw than Tab or RTF, both musically and production-wise. More spacey, atmospheric sections - reminded me of the Syd Barrett/Daevid Allen slide-guitar stuff - a lot less "songs" with vocals - the keyboards seem more present. One thing that struck me is that Nektar isn't a virtuoso band - you don't listen for the soloing, it's more the mood and atmosphere that they create, at least in the early period through RTF.

I also realized that I have the live in New York album! I picked it up, listened once, then put it aside. Well, it appeared again so going to give that a listen soon.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 10:16
The woman in the waterfall was Brooke Shields, FYI. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 17:38
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The woman in the waterfall was Brooke Shields, FYI. 
Now THAT is some interesting trivia! I had no idea.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 21:50
^ It doesn't make that album any better than it is (a 3 star effort). You can almost hear Roye on the track 'Listen'. He gets a co-credit on that song.
The Live in New York album is great but has a weak sound (on LP anyway). In sore need of some bottom-end 'oomph'.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2015 at 20:07

^ Have you heard Cleopatra’s Complete Live in New York? Great improvement over the original LP releases, though I’ve only heard the first double album.

“Catchy hooks” on “Recycled”?  I’ll concede that, but that hasn’t kept it from becoming my favorite of theirs, helped enormously by Larry Fast’s contributions.

All of their albums are unique from each other, and of course some, like “Sounds Like This”, “Magic Is a Child” and “Man in the Moon” took longer to get into, but I don’t consider any of them bad by any means. 

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2015 at 01:22
^ At last, someone sees the value in Man In The Moon
What ?? There's improvement on the Live In New York recordings ?? Great performances, marred by a very shallow and thin sound on the LP.
And honestly, they never repeated themselves album to album, but still sounded 'Nektar' - at least to my ears......
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 11:46
I stopped listening to them after Magic Is a Child, from which I only favored two songs: the title track and another on Norse Mythology (perhaps only because I like Norse Mythology). Are there subsequent albums that are worthwhile in having rekindled their Prog origins?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 12:02
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Picked up Journey to the Center of the Eye - looks like an early German CD release, not one of the remasters. I like it! I've listened before - actually, the keyboardist in my band in college back in the late '80s turned me on to them - he had a lot of the stuff on vinyl - at that time, I borrowed Journey, Tab, RTF, Down to Earth, some album with a blue cover with a woman standing in a waterfall? Maybe even one of the live albums. Tab & RTF are what stuck out to me - I could never get into Down to Earth, I am just not into the circus theme.

But back to Journey to the Center of the Eye - it is more raw than Tab or RTF, both musically and production-wise. More spacey, atmospheric sections - reminded me of the Syd Barrett/Daevid Allen slide-guitar stuff - a lot less "songs" with vocals - the keyboards seem more present. One thing that struck me is that Nektar isn't a virtuoso band - you don't listen for the soloing, it's more the mood and atmosphere that they create, at least in the early period through RTF.

I also realized that I have the live in New York album! I picked it up, listened once, then put it aside. Well, it appeared again so going to give that a listen soon.
I'm happy to hear someone newly discovered Journey to the Center of the Eye. It reminded me of Amon Düül II, then again, like you, both remind me a bit of Syd Barrett. It's not just the slide guitar but the use of analog delay too. Unlike Journey...Eye, Interstellar Overdrive gets me weirded out, though.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 12:05
I'm in favour of the gold old Nektar times, the 1970's. I still can remember a thrilling live gig at my hometown alongside with Welsh band MAN Clap

my favourite album is 'Remember The Future', though all the albums released beforehand are also great.

I can't make friends with their newer albums from this century, and last time when I saw them live, it was in 2007, that was so so, not really engaging ...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 19:39
Man In The Moon is a bit more Arena-Rock oriented (and dare I say 'commercial') but sports some excellent moments. I had no trouble digging this from the first listen, but then I don't mind some AOR or New-Wave music in my listening diet.
The next album of Nektar's I have is the most recent Time Machine, which I am really satisfied with - having said, the LP version which I obtained has culled 3 or 4 tracks from the full CD release, and I believe the ones they dropped are reputed to be weaker tracks. I haven't heard those, so I can't really say, but the tracks on the vinyl are mostly excellent. Having caught them live in mid-2013 whilst on holiday in NYC, was such a blast. Really rekindled my love of Nektar, which, at that point, been left behind by me in the wake of a lot new Prog I've been getting.
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2015 at 19:54

It may be that I was listening - expecting something else - I certainly didn't class it as symphonic?? No long tracks on it for a start!

You silly, silly English Kah-niggggggitt!

Recycled Side One is ONE LONG SIDE.    The suite is "Recycled"

for real

Although I bear responsibility, since I made you buy Recycled.  I am still shocked you don't like it.
Noting wrong with hooks and vocal harmonies inside of a long epic.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 04:12
Recycled - seems side 1 is a perfectly conceived 'suite' of sorts - it flows along for 18 minutes (or whatever) flawlessly. Side 2 is more like 4 separate tracks on their own. Still, quite a special album regardless.....
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 19:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Recycled - seems side 1 is a perfectly conceived 'suite' of sorts - it flows along for 18 minutes (or whatever) flawlessly. Side 2 is more like 4 separate tracks on their own. Still, quite a special album regardless.....

I see it the same as you Tom, BTW, Recycled is Roye Albrighton's personal fav Nektar record
(Roye told me himself.)

Don't worry about Barney, if a song checks in at under 28 minutes, he won't even listen to it.

Beer

"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>