Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNektar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2015 at 20:12
Marvellous Moses is one of my favourite Nektar tracks.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Recycled - seems side 1 is a perfectly conceived 'suite' of sorts - it flows along for 18 minutes (or whatever) flawlessly. Side 2 is more like 4 separate tracks on their own. Still, quite a special album regardless.....

I see it the same as you Tom, BTW, Recycled is Roye Albrighton's personal fav Nektar record
(Roye told me himself.)

Don't worry about Barney, if a song checks in at under 28 minutes, he won't even listen to it.

Beer

I'm game. Where did you meet Mr. Albrighton?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dennismoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 19:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Hi Rednight.  :)

Sure, it was at the Nektar reunion(orig 4 and Larry Fast & Mick the lighting wizard) it was at a festival
in Camden NJ around 2004-5.

The band hung out at their hotel after the show, a connected Nektar fan told me where this was.
I met all the gang.  Roye and his lovely wife were there and they were beyond gracious.  I had made a custom Nektar CD w\art for Man In The Moon & Remember...(neither were released on CD at the time, so they were vinyl rips...) Roye was very impressed by the CD I made and asked me where I got some of the Nektar pictures I put in the insert.  I asked him to sign the jewel box and we talked about Nektar.  I told him it was a dream to see Recycled performed complete since Recycled was my favorite Nektar record.  His eyes perked up and he shared with me that Recycled was his favorite Nektar record as well.  We talked further and then he got mobbed.  Later I went to a table where he and his wife were sitting(Roye was sipping a Heineken) and we all chatted.  Roye couldn't have been nicer.  Mo Moore was very busy and seemed like he was in a hurry.   Taff is kinda quiet, but I met his wife earlier during the day and she introduced me to him that night, he was then very gracious and he opended up a bit to me.   Mick Brocket was totally cool and he loved my art design.  Ron Howden was also super cool and chatty.

I had waited since 1978 to see these guys.  Nektar had broken up just as I bought my first record(Recycled)

Great show and a great bunch of gentleman.
"Yeah, people are unhappy about that - but you know what, it's still Yes." - Chris Squire
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 01:41
^ Man - what memories........treasured for a lifetime
I almost got to chat with Roye but he seemed comfortable sitting with a blonde American lady (his wife ??) at the next table to where I was sitting. I didn't want to bother him. I did, however, got to chat with new keyboardist Klaus Henacht and that was cool enough. Top bloke.
They only performed side 1 of Recycled at this gig, and it was a blast. All the classics were played (Day In The Life....., all of Tab, a bit of RTF, some new stuff, Dream Nebula etc.). I only got into Nektar in 1989, so the chance to see them whilst on hols in New York, well, a total knockout, even with the revamped line-up.
Larry Fast really synergised the Recycled album - Taff didn't use much synth, so Larry really made this album spectacular.
Now, does anyone know the date of the Live In New York recordings ?? Taff takes some cool synth (ARP ??) solos and of course some killer Hammond. The More Live In NY LP seems very elusive to me - haven't seen a copy to this day.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 03:24
Nektar influenved Iron Maidon
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 20:22
Originally posted by dennismoore dennismoore wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Hi Rednight.  :)

Sure, it was at the Nektar reunion(orig 4 and Larry Fast & Mick the lighting wizard) it was at a festival
in Camden NJ around 2004-5.

The band hung out at their hotel after the show, a connected Nektar fan told me where this was.
I met all the gang.  Roye and his lovely wife were there and they were beyond gracious.  I had made a custom Nektar CD w\art for Man In The Moon & Remember...(neither were released on CD at the time, so they were vinyl rips...) Roye was very impressed by the CD I made and asked me where I got some of the Nektar pictures I put in the insert.  I asked him to sign the jewel box and we talked about Nektar.  I told him it was a dream to see Recycled performed complete since Recycled was my favorite Nektar record.  His eyes perked up and he shared with me that Recycled was his favorite Nektar record as well.  We talked further and then he got mobbed.  Later I went to a table where he and his wife were sitting(Roye was sipping a Heineken) and we all chatted.  Roye couldn't have been nicer.  Mo Moore was very busy and seemed like he was in a hurry.   Taff is kinda quiet, but I met his wife earlier during the day and she introduced me to him that night, he was then very gracious and he opended up a bit to me.   Mick Brocket was totally cool and he loved my art design.  Ron Howden was also super cool and chatty.

I had waited since 1978 to see these guys.  Nektar had broken up just as I bought my first record(Recycled)

Great show and a great bunch of gentleman.

I'm now jealous of both you and Ozric! What a time that must have been.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2015 at 22:39
Count me as a fan, particularly "Future!" 

In 2003, Nektar appeared in the Chicago region with Martin Turner's version of Wishbone Ash, and I opted not to attend since it was a pretty far drive (200 km round trip).  I'm still kicking myself!

hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 21:36
Finally picked up Recycled, the 2004 reissue with the original album mix & Geoff Emerick mix. Wasn't too impressed on my first couple of listens, which was only a couple of tunes each time. Now I'm listening again from the beginning and starting to get into it! The bass sounds wonderful - I believe that Mo Moore used Rickenbacker basses - sure sounds like it anyway! I was ready to write it off, sell it after one more listen, but now I think I finally see/hear what people like in this album.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 01:45
^ Correct - Mo used a Ricky during those days (after Tab and onwards). He had a great, crisp sound (not unlike dear Squire, bless his soul) and please do persist with Recycled. It's a beauty.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 13:25
yes, Recycled is a gem, all right. A unique and very special atmosphere it creates.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 01:12

^ Correct - Mo used a Ricky during those days (after Tab and onwards). He had a great, crisp sound (not unlike dear Squire, bless his soul) and please do persist with Recycled. It's a beauty.

I started listening to Nektar in the late '80s - a friend lent me vinyl copies of Journey to the Center..., Tab, RTF, Down to Earth, Recycled, and I believe one of the live ones. I taped them, found that Tab & RTF were the ones that touched me. The bass playing and sound was definitely part of the allure for me, being a bassist myself - finally chanced upon a Rickenbacker 4001 in 2002 (right before prices started skyrocketing) - but I was hooked ever since I heard Roger Glover, Geddy Lee, Lemmy, Chris Squire, and Mo Moore...

Really coming to appreciate Recycled - thanks for the encouragement - I like the way you hear little riffs, runs, and chords that remind you of other Nektar things, and yet are different. Stuff that goes all the way back to Journey to the Center of the Eye, to which I am listening as I type.

But I'm done with Nektar. These four albums are pretty much all I plan on listening to - will enjoy these, but don't plan on plumbing the depths anymore - maybe give the live album a shot but I can't get into an album whose theme is the circus...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 01:55
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

I started listening to Nektar in the late '80s - a friend lent me vinyl copies of Journey to the Center..., Tab, RTF, Down to Earth, Recycled, and I believe one of the live ones. I taped them, found that Tab & RTF were the ones that touched me. The bass playing and sound was definitely part of the allure for me, being a bassist myself - finally chanced upon a Rickenbacker 4001 in 2002 (right before prices started skyrocketing) - but I was hooked ever since I heard Roger Glover, Geddy Lee, Lemmy, Chris Squire, and Mo Moore...

Really coming to appreciate Recycled - thanks for the encouragement - I like the way you hear little riffs, runs, and chords that remind you of other Nektar things, and yet are different. Stuff that goes all the way back to Journey to the Center of the Eye, to which I am listening as I type.

But I'm done with Nektar. These four albums are pretty much all I plan on listening to - will enjoy these, but don't plan on plumbing the depths anymore - maybe give the live album a shot but I can't get into an album whose theme is the circus...
Being a (try-hard) bass player myself, complete with a Ricky 4001, armed with the right gear, but hideous talent, All you state - Geddy, Squire, Mo, Glover etc. are my inspirations - can only play a few tracks well from each......
Anyway, you don't want to delve into the circus concept of DtE, let me say this much : on a day that I whopped from trade-school (i.e. - didn't want to attend....) armed with a 'friendly bud', I got blasted and headed down to my 2nd-hand record shop. I came back with Down To Earth, and also the album Circus (by Argent). Both are, coincidentally, Circus-themed..... and the NEKTAR album blew me away (the Argent didn't let me down, either) If you do decide to 'take the plunge' - yes, it's 'song' oriented, it's often overlooked, but man, Mo's Ricky playing sure wins out on this one. He is sooooo under-rated as a bassist........... At least Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) acknowledges his talent. 'Magic Is A Child' also sports some outstanding Ricky bass from Mo - sure the songs aren't mind-blowing (except for 'Listen') but still enjoyable. Be sure to check out the latest 'Time Machine' album from them - Billy Sherwood holds the bass (not a Rick, unfortunately) but does an A-class job.
The thing that really makes Recycled special for me, is the catchy compositions, Mo's bass playing, and the addition of Larry Fast on his Moog synths (modular 'telephone exchange' model, like Emerson). What a whopping album. I'm generally 'anti-commercial', but some things, if done correctly, win me over (Kajagoogoo being a case in point..........don't ask......)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 10:20
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Personally I wouldn't stop there.  But if you do you really should check out the Nektar Live DVD from 2002.  I think I'm going to give a spin this afternoon...Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 11:49
I love Remember the Future and kept looking for something else that might grab me without luck
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 15:15
I like the Live in New York albums 1 & 2. I think they now call them The Complete Live in New York. Roye Albrighton was also a member of Quantum Jump.
garfunkel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 23:42
I'm not a Nektar fan (I've only listened to one album once, I think) but I thought this would be nice to share. Hopefully you haven't seen it yet.  Sherman Hemsley (?) on The Jeffersons (also a big ?, I'm only 18 Wink) dancing to Nektar's Show Me The Way.   He was also a big fan of Gentle Giant, Gong, and Yes.  He collaborated with Jon Anderson on an unreleased album in 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKHY3pMEUJs

Edited by garfunkel - September 27 2015 at 23:55
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 17:09
The Magic is a Child album was something quite different from the previous material, and one particular cut is fore ever emblazoned in my head.But I can never remember the title of it , something WINGS is as close as I can recall! Perhaps somebody else can help refresh my memory?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 17:37
The last track on Magic Is A Child - called Spread Your Wings.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 18:24
I like bits of "A Tab in the Ocean" but "Recycled" was one of my 1st prog albums and I still regularly give it a spin.  Side 1 (which I call the Recycled Suite) is fantastic and the best thing Larry Fast ever did...and the album closer "It's All Over" is perfection Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 19:07
^ Bravo - It's All Over ends too soon. What a brilliant end to a superb album that sounds quite ahead of its time
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>