Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10cc or Queen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: 10cc or Queen
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [37.50%]
50 [62.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 04:12
I don't think, any of these two bands are prog-related. Queen is almost the definition of art-rock and 10cc is definitely in pop-rock department.

Edited by windycrawford - April 27 2015 at 04:13
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 06:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

10cc. As someone said, can't take Queen seriously ...

why not? Confused

Well, as an astute friend of mine once put it, just look at the name.

that's the lamest excuse for dissing a band.

hope you were making a joke...

I personally can't get past the term "dissing."                                      
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 06:58
^Queen were an electic band with skillful songwriting, technical supremacy and will for constant experimentation. People who sayng they 'don't take them seriously', 'Queen were a silly pop group' and things like those always appeared to me like merely a snobs (in bad sense of word).

Don't take Queen seriously because they were too popular? Because they could come up with good catchy & beautiful melodies? All this snobist talk about how Queen were bad just makes no sense for me.

Edited by ole-the-first - April 27 2015 at 07:14
This night wounds time.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:01
Anyone who has total disregard towards Queen, I won't discuss further really. Our music taste and views obviously are too much apart. UnhappyHug
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:34
I suppose, those 'snobs' who rant against Queen don't mean band's poor musicianship, songwriting etc. The main problem with Queen actually is frequent crowd-oriented arena-rock sound and sometimes Freddy goes overboard with gimmicks, so that sincerety is questionable. But of course, overall it is unique band in it's synthesis of opera and heavy metal, tons of great melodies and erm.. The Voice
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:42
Originally posted by windycrawford windycrawford wrote:

I suppose, those 'snobs' who rant against Queen don't mean band's poor musicianship, songwriting etc. The main problem with Queen actually is frequent crowd-oriented arena-rock sound and sometimes Freddy goes overboard with gimmicks, so that sincerety is questionable. But of course, overall it is unique band in it's synthesis of opera and heavy metal, tons of great melodies and erm.. The Voice
I am confused hereConfused.
Queen had prog elements but now I quote you: "The main problem with Queen actually is frequent crowd-oriented arena-rock sound and sometimes Freddy goes overboard with gimmicks, so that sincerety is questionable. But of course, overall it is unique band in it's synthesis of opera and heavy metal, tons of great melodies and erm..."
Peter Gabriel during Genesis among other performances performed wearing a red dress while wearing a fox on his head. Bowie ok nevermind he is just hot no matter what.
I see nothing wrong with gimmicks inc. Rick Wakeman's red cape. Stern Smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:45
It's vocal gimmicks Im talking about
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:47

Vocals gimmicks? I don't what you mean with this?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:51
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

vocal gimmicks—nonsensical vowels, syllables, and sounds—to get songs stuck in your head.  uh ah yeah lalala

Edited by windycrawford - April 27 2015 at 07:51
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:56

vocal gimmicks—nonsensical vowels, syllables, and sounds—to get songs stuck in your head.  uh ah yeah lalala
Oh ha ok to me this is a plus, brilliant! The Beatles who started this too, either with vocal harmonies or just silly lyrics. Infact most memorable songs in history are like that. Big smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 08:24
Ermm mum diddley washing Wink
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 08:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Ermm mum diddley washing Wink
Dean! Hug You see, we speak same language Big smile Indeedy it's Mum to mud to mad to dad LOL more Hug
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 08:32

I don't think, any of these two bands are prog-related. Queen is almost the definition of art-rock and 10cc is definitely in pop-rock department.

Art rock and prog rock quite close to hand-in-hand, no? 

Those who doubt 10cc's "prog credentials" should check out some of the more out-there tracks from Sheet Music, The Original Soundtrack and How Dare You! Pop rock it is, straightforward it often isn't. Those who only know 'em for I'm Not in Love and The Things We Do for Love may be a bit surprised when they hear Une Nuit a Paris or Iceberg.  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:03
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Those who doubt 10cc's "prog credentials" should check out some of the more out-there tracks from Sheet Music, The Original Soundtrack and How Dare You! Pop rock it is, straightforward it often isn't. Those who only know 'em for I'm Not in Love and The Things We Do for Love may be a bit surprised when they hear Une Nuit a Paris or Iceberg.  
I love what you said, Irrelevant Smile
Indeed, even Bowie early albums are classified as art rock however they too are heave prog orientated. Approve A big hug to you, Hug
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:12

I love what you said, Irrelevant Smile
Indeed, even Bowie early albums are classified as art rock however they too are heave prog orientated. Approve A big hug to you, Hug
I'm like a broken record when talking about 10cc here LOL  
Thankyou Hug
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:28

Of course, it's impossible to draw a distinct border between prog- and art-rock, everyone's following his own criteria, just like in case with hard-rock and heavy-metal. To my mind, Pink Floyd is the band, standing on the very edge of this border. I hope, this statement explains to you, why I don't consider queen, 10cc, elo and such to belong to prog-related bands. If it doesn't, here are some by book criteria: no philosophical message, no virtuoso-instrumentaion, no tricky structures, almost no lenghty/multi-part compositions.
Above written doesn't mean I don't like these bands(actually I do) or I don't like art-rock or I proclaim huge advantage of prog rock over art-rock.

Edited by windycrawford - April 27 2015 at 09:29
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:59

Of course, it's impossible to draw a distinct border between prog- and art-rock, everyone's following his own criteria, just like in case with hard-rock and heavy-metal. To my mind, Pink Floyd is the band, standing on the very edge of this border. I hope, this statement explains to you, why I don't consider queen, 10cc, elo and such to belong to prog-related bands. If it doesn't, here are some by book criteria: no philosophical message, no virtuoso-instrumentaion, no tricky structures, almost no lenghty/multi-part compositions.
Above written doesn't mean I don't like these bands(actually I do) or I don't like art-rock or I proclaim huge advantage of prog rock over art-rock.
Ah, the old "what is prog" conversation. I was gonna go there but decided to backspace and type this instead. Handshake
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 10:03

Ah, the old "what is prog" conversation. I was gonna go there but decided to backspace and type this instead. Handshake
mature decision Clap
Handshake
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:16

mature decision Clap
Handshake
windycrawford

Your perception of prog. in my opinion is quite distorted and MISUNDERSTOOD. No philosophical message? What does that mean? I for one don’t think lyrics are necessary,  also in philosophical terms I DO NOT LIKE to be preached upon or hear whatever sermons one has to say,  this is just silly and redundant to me, no virtuoso-instrumentaion how can you say this? No tricky structures, almost no lenghty/multi-part composition. This is too silly really. Reading all this, I lost any will to discuss this further, I am lost for words.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 15:21

And I have to agree with you.....never thought either band was 'proggy' .
But then I don't think Zep or the Who are especially prog related either yet they are listed that way here.
Both bands had some nice tracks but if you made me sit down and listen to one of these bands for any length of time I would go with Queen.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>