Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10cc or Queen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: 10cc or Queen
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [37.50%]
50 [62.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 02:40
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by windycrawford windycrawford wrote:

I don't think, any of these two bands are prog-related. Queen is almost the definition of art-rock and 10cc is definitely in pop-rock department.

And I have to agree with you.....never thought either band was 'proggy' .
But then I don't think Zep or the Who are especially prog related either yet they are listed that way here.
Both bands had some nice tracks but if you made me sit down and listen to one of these bands for any length of time I would go with Queen.

While you can hardly find any pure prog albums/songs in LedZep catalogue, the band is certainly prog-related with its tricky arrangements, complex riffs and mystical lyricism. The Who, on the other hand, issued "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" which are not less proggy than "The Wall" for instance.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 09:07

I don't think, any of these two bands are prog-related. Queen is almost the definition of art-rock and 10cc is definitely in pop-rock department.

But then I don't think Zep or the Who are especially prog related either yet they are listed that way here.
Both bands had some nice tracks but if you made me sit down and listen to one of these bands for any length of time I would go with Queen.

While you can hardly find any pure prog albums/songs in LedZep catalogue, the band is certainly prog-related with its tricky arrangements, complex riffs and mystical lyricism. The Who, on the other hand, issued "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia" which are not less proggy than "The Wall" for instance.
And we are back to the old...what is prog discussion.  LOL
Regarding arrangements, riffs, and lyrics there are probably plenty of bands who aren't here as 'prog related' but should be based on that criteria. Zep is huge , famous, and well liked ,,,,prolly why they are here.
On the Who...Tommy does have some interesting bits here and there that cross over into prog at times but I don't hear this on Quad which has some orchestration (is that prog.?) But even so does that make what The Who did on those 2 albums prog..?

Floyd had many prog and of course space rock elements on many of their earlier albums and always had a history of expanding their musical ideas so I can see why The Wall is included in your comment but as you alluded there is plenty of regular rock on that one.

In the end it's matter of opinion....isn't it?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 10:01

And we are back to the old...what is prog discussion.  LOL
Regarding arrangements, riffs, and lyrics there are probably plenty of bands who aren't here as 'prog related' but should be based on that criteria. Zep is huge , famous, and well liked ,,,,prolly why they are here.
On the Who...Tommy does have some interesting bits here and there that cross over into prog at times but I don't hear this on Quad which has some orchestration (is that prog.?) But even so does that make what The Who did on those 2 albums prog..?

Floyd had many prog and of course space rock elements on many of their earlier albums and always had a history of expanding their musical ideas so I can see why The Wall is included in your comment but as you alluded there is plenty of regular rock on that one.

In the end it's matter of opinion....isn't it?
Cupla things... 

Proto Prog and Prog Related are not Prog.

The Who are in Proto-Prog and not Prog Related. The distinction is key otherwise we'd not have two distinctly separate categories. I've no real intention of launching into a defence of a band I don't like very much, or of their inclusion here or of PA's decision to have PR & PP categories at all. However. The main point is they don't have to have created a whole or partial Prog album or even a Prog song to be listed there in that category.

Prog Related is a mess, it always has been and it always will be - why it is a mess is to do with PA's murky history but in recent years the various Admin teams have worked to prevent it becoming even more of a mess, and that means being selective about who else gets added to the current list. In principle they could add hundreds of artists, especially if they blindly follow an IF X THEN Y criteria based on bands who are already listed, but that would result in a bigger PR section than the rest of the PA put together ... which would make PA little better than a second-rate RYM rather than a first-rate Prog site.

What?
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 14:34

Sorry, but I was around in the 70s and 10CC were THE art rock band, and art rock was considered a key part of prog.

Listen to One Night in Paris: it and the whole Original Soundtrack album are both extremely progressive.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 01:52
I actually struggle with the idea that 10CC were any kind of rock band. The were definitely arty though.

(... as were ABBAWink)

Edited by richardh - April 29 2015 at 01:52
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 23:28
Just in case I am misunderstood "again", gamers will understand what I mean Wink here Big smileHug
 xxx
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 09:12
Both bands released 4 excellent albums before turning toward pop drivel.

Although Queen had much more popular success after abandoning their early, art rock sound, they also became far too saccharine and mostly boring.  10cc made occasional attempts to return to the quirkiness of their early years, but mostly fell flat. 

As for who was better, when evaluating the first four of each?  Apples and oranges.  I love them both.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I actually struggle with the idea that 10CC were any kind of rock band. The were definitely arty though.

(... as were ABBAWink)

Richard ... you need to get "Rubber Bullets" and "Sheet Music" ... !!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 10:05
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Just in case I am misunderstood "again", gamers will understand what I mean Wink here Big smileHug
 xxx

Heeeeeeeelp!
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:24
If it wasn't for Sheet Music I'd probably vote Queen, but that one album is pretty much the most creative and brilliantly constructed pop album of the 70s for my money. Not really that fussed about any other 10cc albums although How Dare You has its moments. In fact Godley & Creme's "L" is probably closer to Sheet Music than any other album bearing the 10CC name.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 15:21
THE WHO!!!! Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:25
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

xxx

Heeeeeeeelp!
hahahaha!!! Rednight, Big smile go on, pls do accept my hug SmileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

(... as were ABBAWink)
Richardh, HeartSmile
I honestly think every Swedish person inc. their new generation do love Abba LOL
Big hug to you, Hug xxxx
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 04:34

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

xxx

Heeeeeeeelp!

hahahaha!!! Rednight, Big smile go on, pls do accept my hug SmileHug

Any time.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 13:18
10cc - genius; how they got people to buy their veiled humor and inside jokes wrapped around Beach Boys, doo-wop and good old rock n roll....genius.

Queen - genius; how they got people to buy their veiled humor and inside jokes wrapped around Sabbath, whimsical prog and good old rock n roll....genius.

Two bands seemingly very different but really cut from a similar jib.  Tongues firmly in cheek, yet selling millions.....Genius. 

I dig 10cc more....just more my style, but Queen is a gas, especially those first four albums. 

Edited by Intruder - July 11 2015 at 13:18
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 13:35
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Both bands released 4 excellent albums before turning toward pop drivel.

Although Queen had much more popular success after abandoning their early, art rock sound, they also became far too saccharine and mostly boring.  10cc made occasional attempts to return to the quirkiness of their early years, but mostly fell flat. 

As for who was better, when evaluating the first four of each?  Apples and oranges.  I love them both.

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

THE WHO!!!! Thumbs Up

This two answered for me
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

Two great prog related bands, which one do you like better

10 CC never did crap àla Radio Gaga or Body Language

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 02:48
Nor would Freddie ever have sung, "I don't like cricket, I love it."  Both bands ended on low notes, though Godley and Creme released some stuff that lives up to their 10cc roots. 
Would love to hear an FM station play Un nuit en Paris and Bohemian Rhapsody back-to-back....probably hasn't been done since 1978, if ever. 

Are either prog?  When it's that much fun, who cares what you call it.  BTW, I'd call it art rock, maybe even arty rock, but nobody would ever mistake either for Yes.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 03:55
seriously tho' pick Queen or .... :
Queen - Liar (Official Video)
hihihihi LOL hugs Hug
TornadoTongue View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 12:58
Why can't I vote in the poll?

I vote 10cc, I love both though. Don't think I'd classify either as prog rock too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>