Topic ClosedLucky Man vs. Give A Little Bit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [69.01%]
22 [30.99%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 14:45
It's interesting comparing two pop songs by essentially proggy bands.  I really like supertramp and always surprised to find others who do not and still like similar music.  That said, i usually prefer their proggier tracks.  for some reason, this is an exception and I've always enjoyed it.  that said, it's no "Crime of the Century," "Fool's Overture," or "Child of Vision."  But far better than "Dreamer" or "Goodbye, Stranger."
More heavy prog, please!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 02:12
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

What I always loved about ELP is the contrast between the complex, high energy compositions of Emerson and the more simpler harmonious, slower-paced compositions of Lake, and the contrast between the two comes to full effect on the Tarkus suite IMHO, but also in Lucky Man as album closer after the more complex Emerson compositions on ELP's debut.

Indeed that contrast was and still is very important to me. The Sage and The Old Castle is probably my favourite contrasting pieces of ELP although Toccata and Still You Turn Me On runs it a close second. Emerson was well aware of the importance of this. I also think one of the biggest issues with Works Volume One is that you lose this very quality except oddly on Carl Palmers side where he slips in a couple of calmer tracks amongst the 'chaos'.

Edited by richardh - April 17 2015 at 02:12
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 05:40
Lucky Man is okay I guess. Give a Little Bit is lovely, so it was a very easy pick. 
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:25
Lucky Man , of course
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 18:18
Lucky Man by a nose.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
docall27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:49
I can't vote yet but ELP if I could.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:06
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

What I always loved about ELP is the contrast between the complex, high energy compositions of Emerson and the more simpler harmonious, slower-paced compositions of Lake, and the contrast between the two comes to full effect on the Tarkus suite IMHO, but also in Lucky Man as album closer after the more complex Emerson compositions on ELP's debut.

Indeed that contrast was and still is very important to me. The Sage and The Old Castle is probably my favourite contrasting pieces of ELP although Toccata and Still You Turn Me On runs it a close second. Emerson was well aware of the importance of this. I also think one of the biggest issues with Works Volume One is that you lose this very quality except oddly on Carl Palmers side where he slips in a couple of calmer tracks amongst the 'chaos'.

Interesting choices for favourite contrasting pieces. 
Yes, on Works Vol. 1 they started losing the wonderful balance. A band in desintegration, as they call it. Too bad, because 4 studio albums of brilliance plus some extra on Works is not as much as Genesis and Yes in their good years have delivered.
But then again, who was as intense in practicing, touring, giving all on stage etc. as ELP? And where to go after BSS? 
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 08:01

GIVE A LITTLE BIT sounds much much better to me!

Edited by Komandant Shamal - April 18 2015 at 08:04
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 03:26

Interesting choices for favourite contrasting pieces. 
Yes, on Works Vol. 1 they started losing the wonderful balance. A band in desintegration, as they call it. Too bad, because 4 studio albums of brilliance plus some extra on Works is not as much as Genesis and Yes in their good years have delivered.
But then again, who was as intense in practicing, touring, giving all on stage etc. as ELP? And where to go after BSS? 

BSS was so full on that was effectively it. Works and especially the track Pirates ticked doing the 'symphonic thing with orchestra' box and then they were done. Works of course could have been better if they had kept it to a single album and not included Fanfare which doesn't belong imo. It still would have not been entirely satisfactory though. Apparently they wanted to release separate solo albums but Ahmet Ertegun dissuaded them. He also had a bit of a say in Love Beach I gather as well. Anyway the band was running on fumes so it probably would have made not much of a difference either way.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 15:31

Apparently they wanted to release separate solo albums but Ahmet Ertegun dissuaded them. 

Really? I didn't know that. Interesting, that explains something.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 14:30

Apparently they wanted to release separate solo albums but Ahmet Ertegun dissuaded them. 

Yep as confirmed in at least one interview with ELP.He probably saw the split of the band becoming permanent and so wanted to avoid that considering ELP at that point in time was still one of the most bankable bands around.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 15:57

Yep as confirmed in at least one interview with ELP.He probably saw the split of the band becoming permanent and so wanted to avoid that considering ELP at that point in time was still one of the most bankable bands around.

I already thought it was a wild move. Sort of living apart together, or playing apart together.
Ahmet Ertegun was quite a clever guy, then. Imagine what would have happened if the guys from ELP split up. Well, maybe it would have been better at that moment in time, but then we would have missed "Pirates".
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2015 at 17:08
Wasn't it in a Simpsons' episode where Milhous remarked, "Caller No. 3 gets tickets to Supertramp!" That's how random the band had become by that point in time. Whatever my point is, I'll go with Lucky Man.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 10:39
both severely overplayed to the point where I never need to hear either again, but Lucky Man easily gets the vote
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 10:40
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

It's interesting comparing two pop songs by essentially proggy bands.  I really like supertramp and always surprised to find others who do not and still like similar music.  That said, i usually prefer their proggier tracks.  for some reason, this is an exception and I've always enjoyed it.  that said, it's no "Crime of the Century," "Fool's Overture," or "Child of Vision."  But far better than "Dreamer" or "Goodbye, Stranger."

not a Supetrramp fan at all, but agree it's a lot better than those two!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 14:32
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Goodbye Stranger is a great track imo and I have a soft spot for Dreamer as well so I wouldn't totally agree although Child Of Vision is wonderful track admittedly.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 16:05

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Goodbye Stranger is a great track imo and I have a soft spot for Dreamer as well so I wouldn't totally agree although Child Of Vision is wonderful track admittedly.

It would be dull if we always agreed.  Hmmm...I haven't heard Dreamer in a long time.  Maybe time to give it another listen.
More heavy prog, please!
benbig View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 08:07
My choice is  -  ELP - Lucky Man (1970)
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2015 at 18:59

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Lucky Man.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123