Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Symphonic Prog dead??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 02:29
I feel that Sonja's actual vocal delivery doesn't live up to the promise of her as well as the band's image though she is certainly a fine singer. But that apart, is Curved Air really symph prog? If we widen the scope to all prog, then you have, apart from Annie Haslam, Kate Bush, Bjork, Diamanda Galas, etc. Flat out some of the most talented female singers rock has ever produced. So that's not the problem, irrespective of whether listeners are unable to look beyond Gabriel and Anderson. Symph prog has not produced great female singers to succeed Annie. Which is not really a surprise since it hasn't featured great singers in a long time post its 70s heyday.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm thinking more like a prog Stevie Nicks.  Rock has had all sorts of women vocalists, some pretty amazing, but only a few capture lightning in a bottle.  Nicks was one of 'em.
Nicks, Ann Wilson, and Carly Simon. Okay, not Carly. LOL

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

If Lady Gaga reprised "The Lamb," I think it would be amazing!  She is a New Yorker after all, and a damn fine keyboardist/vocalist!  She also has Gabriel's sense of costume drama, in spades! 

That gal has a mean set of pipes! She knows how to butter her bread, but I wager she's no stranger to prog. Her good friend Lady Starlight, who was in her pre-fame band, doesn't hesitate to cite VdGG as one of her favorite bands in interviews. And they both like Rush (not the commentator).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 10:47
In the 1970s, symphonic prog concerts were real spectacles!  Yes had their Roger Dean stage sets, ELP had similarly ponderous stages, etc.  

The audiences were huge parties....people came to smoke pot and enjoy.  With all the smoking bans/fire codes, that stuff is ancient history.  

I've seen numerous neoprog symphonic shows since the olden days, and they rarely seem to have the same sense of drama and spectacle.  Dream Theater is one that seemed to come closest, are they symphonic or metal? 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 22:04
It's all ciclycal.

Every rational person thought Symphonic had died in 1980, but 1993 came and proved we all were wrong.

There are lots of Symphonic bands out there, the problem is that people is searching for something different, but things will change again.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 22 2015 at 22:08

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 07:06
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

It's all ciclycal.

I'm pretty sure about this when we consider the stylistic fashion trends, if the cyclical thing really applies to music too then someday people will hear what is called the new avant-garde of the moment growing enough to become the popular music of the future, or many of the electronic instruments being abandoned in favour of the 'new' fever of the massive use 'old' acoustic instruments. Ok, there is the famous instruments emulation, but personally I don't give credit to this.

Maybe I'm wrong and the cycle 'wavelenght' is bigger than what I imagine, frankly I've not heard considerable changes in most of the popular music in the last decades, but when it comes to the media thing perhaps the Internet radio is the fashion nowadays, I don't know, just wonderings about a complicated issue, jmo.

Edited by Rick Robson - April 23 2015 at 07:07

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
PRSO View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 16:13
Not here it's not.   I will soon be releasing a 2 CD set with the music of Genesis (both the Gabriel era and Early Collins era) backed by a full Symphony Orchestra.  Here are a couple of links on YouTube for Cinema Show & The Musical Box.
Cinema Show 
The Musical Box

Mark Emanuele - Music Director - The Progressive Rock Symphonic Orchestra

Edited by PRSO - April 23 2015 at 16:16
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 16:26
Originally posted by PRSO PRSO wrote:

Not here it's not.   I will soon be releasing a 2 CD set with the music of Genesis (both the Gabriel era and Early Collins era) backed by a full Symphony Orchestra.  Here are a couple of links on YouTube for Cinema Show & The Musical Box.
Cinema Show 
The Musical Box

Thats really good! Congratulations, pal!
Who watches the watcher of the skies?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 16:28
Originally posted by PRSO PRSO wrote:

Cinema Show 
The Musical Box

Coming soon to PBS, Australian Genesis. Hope you brought your light show. Wink

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 08:26
I dare say it's not dead at all. I hope the OP can appreciate Tiger Moth Tales, a.k.a. Peter Jones.

Edited by Angelo - April 24 2015 at 08:29
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 21:47
^ Nice. Aside from those mentioned in OP, speaking of the 00's to now, there's Echolyn, Glass Hammer, IQ, Frost*, Big Big Train, Thieves' Kitchen, Nick Magnus, Kant Freud Kafka, Ciccada, Kotebel, Karfagen, Mars Hollow, Luca Scherani, Salem Hill and classics like Steve Hackett, Tempano, PFM and Museo Rosenbach with great recent albums. There's plenty more I could mention. In all honesty, I think it's doing better than most genres.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 03:23
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

I dare say it's not dead at all. I hope the OP can appreciate Tiger Moth Tales, a.k.a. Peter Jones.

What a beautiful song ! And with your enthusiastic great review I think it's not going to take me long to order the album. 
windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 09:58
As far as I understand, this thread is rather for getting acquainted with newer bands than for finding out if symphonic prog is alive(dead). Still I'm gonna take the thread title srsly. So the answer is - symphonic rock is not dead, prog rock is dead nowadays(and so is symphonic prog or w/e).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 02:06
How is "Dead" defined ? - the first phase of prog had it's popularity in main-stream music magazines (1970-76) and it was at it's zenith then (in Britain, anyway) - The money-men realised that they could make far more money out of manufacturing music for the masses (1976) and thus musicians who wanted to do their own thing and not just make money were cast aside! But I think that the flame has kept burning by the die-hards here in Britain - Mind U in Holland/Germany prog has always had far more fans than here in blighty!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234