Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs there such thing as prog hip-hop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:54
DJ Premier & The Berklee Symphony - Regeneration (Feat. Nas) [Lyrics in Description] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOiQqCq35f0 XXXXX
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:19
I imagine there is probably some rap/breakcore hybrid somewhere or something. A lot of people try to innovate the genre for the heck of it and end up being not very good at it, because they never fell in love with the genre in the first place. Odd meters is the first thing people go to. There is some good experimental rap, but it's usually made by people who love the regular stuff too.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb1ZvUDvLDY - NOT BECESSSARY PROG BUT MADE IN 1994 and great instrumentals.

Edited by Kati - April 17 2015 at 22:29
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 00:51
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

DJ Premier f. Nas, Apathy & The Berklee Symphony Orchestra - Regeneration Remix (Produced by Apathy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF5HvSR6Q8 xxxx
Great example, Kati! Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 01:02
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

DJ Premier f. Nas, Apathy & The Berklee Symphony Orchestra - Regeneration Remix (Produced by Apathy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF5HvSR6Q8 xxxx
Great example, Kati! Hug
mhwoaaahhhxxxxxxxxxx!!! thank you, Svetonio and a big hug  Hug
Artpop View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 07:59
Trip-Hop: Portishead, Massive Attack etc. Check out the latter's 'Mezzanine' CD. 

This should help too: http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Bristol-Massive-Attack-Portishead-Trip-Hop/dp/0340675217
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 16:40
It's question of tastes, but this stuff for me sucks...I have to admit that sometimes an artist is hidden behind genres like hip-hop, but it happened also with punk.

But I can't not post this masterpiece...I hope you can find a translation if the lyrics, they are amazing.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Hot Rat '69 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 00:32
Listening to Sweetnighter again....the breakbeat grooves, the electronics, the different moods, the flowing lyricism....if prog hip-hop exists it definitely owes something to this......but the instrumental element seems crucial.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 02:49
Moved to general music discussions seeing as there's no mention of prog bands. Not that crazy though seeing as prog hip hop doesn't exist.
There's progressive hip hop though

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 19 2015 at 02:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 04:10
I've mentioned Quintorigo, but only becsuse John de Leo raps on an excellent song. At least one prog band is there
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 01:43

Great example, Kati! Hug
This is for you, Kati Hug

DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:17
I think the philosophies of prog and hip-hop are too polar for them to possibly coexist. Someone could attempt to rap over prog instrumentation, but it wouldn't make it hip hop.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:20
LOL

Great example, Kati! Hug
This is for you, Kati Hug

Someone had to do it LOL
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:33
Eyedea & Abilities is a pretty awesome group.

Also, thinly-veiled racism isn't cool, but is prevalent in this thread. Thumbs Down
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:37
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Also, thinly-veiled racism isn't cool, but is prevalent in this thread. Thumbs Down

Unfortunately, yes.
More heavy prog, please!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:58

I don't see any racism in this thread 'thinly veiled' or otherwise. I think we both might agree that it's a wide stretch to expect the majority of (predominantly white male) Prog fans on a Progressive Rock website to embrace music that originates from a black American culture like Hip Hop. Most Proggers I know certainly enjoy a lot of contemporary jazz and fusion but styles that encroach the broad spectrum of 'dance music' are maybe less popular. It's perfectly fine to discriminate against music you don't care for so are you inferring that expressing same is racist based on the ethnicity of the artist/critic?Dead
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:35
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I don't see any racism in this thread 'thinly veiled' or otherwise. I think we both might agree that it's a wide stretch to expect the majority of (predominantly white male) Prog fans on a Progressive Rock website to embrace music that originates from a black American culture like Hip Hop. Most Proggers I know certainly enjoy a lot of contemporary jazz and fusion but styles that encroach the broad spectrum of 'dance music' are maybe less popular. It's perfectly fine to discriminate against music you don't care for so are you inferring that expressing same is racist based on the ethnicity of the artist/critic?Dead

I don't think liking or not liking rap is racist. I sure don't like it. However, I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of "Selling coco..." Clever, perhaps, but blatantly racist.
More heavy prog, please!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:45
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

I don't think liking or not liking rap is racist. I sure don't like it. However, I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of "Selling coco..." Clever, perhaps, but blatantly racist.

OK I admit I don't really understand the context or source of the 'Selling Coco' post from Svetonio but what Man Overboard and yourself have both deemed 'thinly veiled' racism is now considered 'blatantly racist?' Wouldn't bandcamp have raised the same misgivings as yourself (and I'm assuming you've reported the post to the PA admins?)

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 25 2015 at 11:50
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 12:14
Well, firstly, racism is pretty common.   Cultures are still struggling to learn how to communicate with respect. I don't know why Bandcamp or PA would be any different.   And blatant may have been too strong a word on my part, admittedly. Secondly, I don't believe most racism is intentional. Better to have a conversation than Report every occurrence. Most racism isn't neo nazi/ National Front, KKK stuff. Most is more subtle and usually not intended to cause harm. I work everyday with victims of various forms of bigotry and discrimination, so even the little stuff can seem blatant to me.

Sorry, I'm trying to point out something that concerns me without making too big a deal about it. Easier said than done.

More heavy prog, please!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 12:33

Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

OK I admit I don't really understand the context or source of the 'Selling Coco' post from Svetonio but what Man Overboard and yourself have both deemed 'thinly veiled' racism is now considered 'blatantly racist?' Wouldn't bandcamp have raised the same misgivings as yourself (and I'm assuming you've reported the post to the PA admins?)

I would say that the "Selling Coco" clip Svetty posted from Bandcamp is blatantly stupid. Derive whatever else you wish from that.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>