Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs there such thing as prog hip-hop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:23
Hip Hop is not a race nor a cultural thing parse, it started more like an expressive artistic movement in the Bronx or Queens (not sure where really) of youth gathering together to freely expressing themselves, either by poetry (talking singing to a beat hip hop) and turntable djing plus graffiti art. Hip Hip as it self to me is not music although has progressed due to some hiphop artists by adding known melodies inc. classic music instrumentals/. This said with exception, most hip hop are electronic music with heavy bass orientated.  
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 17:37
Hi, just stumbled on these forums and seeing as I own over 3000 hip hop albums (yes, sad...) I thought I'd add my 2 cents

thing about hip hop is even the most abstract stuff tends to rely on a consistent looped beat to form the basis of a track, making it one of the most repetitive and unspontaneous genres out there, meaning in some ways it's like the anti-prog

I also agree with the previous statements that just cause something samples a prog tune, doesn't make it prog.

however if I had to pick one artist I'd suggest checking out Labtekwon, probably the most 'proggy' hip hop I can think of if I had to pick one

Labtekwon - Goddess
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 10:39
Well, I think it is quite possible, but the thing is, most that could pass as progressive hip-hop, is classified as "experimental hip hop" (as per RateYourMusic.com definition).

Of course, hip-hop cannot really boast with multiple changing tempos and etc. but it is by far not the only, or even essential attribute of progressive rock. Just for the reminder, the most widely known side of Krautrock, the Dusseldorf school, relied and gave a whole new meaning to those monotone rhythms and all - many pieces by, for example, Neu!, are much more minimalist than your average hip-hop.

As for my vision of "progressive hip hop", it could sound as something like this. DJ Shadow's debut album, "... Endtroducing" is widely regarded as a hip-hop classic and is right now neatly classified under "experimental hip hop". I think, many a prog fan, who have a preference for its atmospheric / crossover / modern side, will enjoy this piece:

Edited by Thandrus - May 03 2015 at 10:40
Hot Rat '69 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2015 at 14:24
Check out this article in the Atlantic:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/aap-rocky-and-the-liquifying-of-rap/394205/

The gorgeous stew of At.Long.Last.A$AP may owe something to LSD, but it’s also in line with the genre’s recent turn toward progginess.

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 20:23
rapping over a prog sample:

experimental music with elements of hip-hop:

progressive hip-hop:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 14:36
Quote rapping over a prog sample

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 11:44
A trio called clippng., they're on Sub Pop, released a concept album about space slavery "Splendor & Misery". How much prog do you want?))

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345