Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Syd Barrett more famous now than with Floyd?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Syd Barrett more famous now than with Floyd?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Syd Barrett more famous now than with Floyd?
    Posted: April 15 2015 at 17:43
Do you think that the late Syd Barrett is better known and more famous now then when he was a member of Pink Floyd, or do you feel he's just some sketchy character that only the band really knew, understood, and tried to immortalize in song?

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2015 at 18:00
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 17:51
Nope.
What?
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 18:22
I think Syd is better known and famous now because now Pink Floyd are better known and famous than when he was in the band. 
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 21:21
^ This
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 21:27
Tough to say, but I would think that he is at least better known now in the States than at the time he was in Floyd. Britain is probably a different story (hence Dean's monosyllabic reply).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 22:15
This is just too awww beautiful and to date I don't think Gilmour ever sang this high. This is for you, The Dark Elf SmileHugDark Globe by Syd Barrett - cover by David Gilmour   xxxx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GCM6EV9vtA&index=109&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPrHo40qr1-pvZEZcejDeOw xxxxx
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 23:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Do you think that the late Syd Barrett is better known and more famous now then when he was a member of Pink Floyd, or do you feel he's just some sketchy character that only the band really knew, understood, and tried to immortalize in song?
Of course that Syd Barrett is more famous now than at the time when he was a member of Pink Floyd as a house band of fashionable London's UFO club that was oriented to that underground Freakbeat scene i.e. early English psych bands. In fact, he had lost the attention of widder audience after the Pink Floyd's succesful Hyde Park free concert (along with Tyrannosaurs Rex, Jethro Tull and Roy Harper) in June 1968, that the band was played without him, yet played extremely well what the audience heard, recognized that, rewarded that and talked about the band, but the absence of Syd Barrett was not even mentioned; here's an article written by John Peel:

Syd Barrett actually gained new popularity of mainly younger audience when he had inspired several books; the first major biography of Syd Barrett - Crazy Diamond  by Mike Watkinson and Pete Anderson -  was published in 1991 (revised in 2006). It was twenty years since he had vanished.
And I agree that, aside his closest, it's the band who really knew and understood him...

Edited by Svetonio - April 16 2015 at 05:35
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 10:43
Hi,

History seems to always be kind to "tragic" events.

Whether one is more or less famous or not than the other, I am not sure is as important, as the work itself. Sadly, Syd did not improve with age as a wine does, and everyone seemed to have had romantic notions about his own work and its potential! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 11:19
^ Once again, Mosh nails it
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 21:56
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

This is just too awww beautiful and to date I don't think Gilmour ever sang this high. This is for you, The Dark Elf SmileHugDark Globe by Syd Barrett - cover by David Gilmour   xxxx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GCM6EV9vtA&index=109&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwPrHo40qr1-pvZEZcejDeOw xxxxx

I have liked the covers Gilmour has been doing of Barrett material lately... often even better than the originals (Dominoes on the semi-acoustic concert was brillian), and I hope he plays some of his songs again on his next tour. Also, I think it's a very nice detail on his part to pay homage to his friend by performing Syd's songs. Perhaps now he'll be doing some Wright penned songs too.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 01:44
Perhaps it might have been more interesting to replace the words 'Syd Barrett' with 'Roger Waters'Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Perhaps it might have been more interesting to replace the words 'Syd Barrett' with 'Roger Waters'Wink

At least his tour of the Wall rivaled the one from before, although there were more things that I liked better on the old one!

Edited by moshkito - April 17 2015 at 13:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:32
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

^ Once again, Mosh nails it

Thanks ... but as a writer, I sometimes wonder what is more important ... what inspires you or the end result, and there are times when I like the inspiration wayyyyyyyyy better than the result, because the inspiration was "free" and not corrupted by outside events, and whatever else one has to go through to get it "translated" to paper, or film, or theater!

I think that Syd's inspiration was grand, and quite literary ... but it was the band after that that took off in a very big way ... I am not sure that PF would have gone anywhere if they had busted up after Syd.
www.pedrosena.com
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:52
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I think Syd is better known and famous now because now Pink Floyd are better known and famous than when he was in the band. 

+1
Progrockdude
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 21:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

At least his tour of the Wall rivaled the one from before, although there were more things that I liked better on the old one!

Now, I would be interested to know about what you liked better from the original show (and perhaps also what you liked better on the new one). I got to see the new one and indeed it was the greatest show one could expect (even my wife, who isn't really such a fan of Pink Floyd nor prog in general) was really impressed by it. However, I didn't make it to the original Pink Floyd ones, since I was too busy learning to walk and talk and such things.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 22:00
I honestly think that the younger generation and even mine, unless they have become fans of Floyd, younger generation have no idea who he is, however even they know Pink Floyd and have heard of David Gilmour and Roger Waters.   
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:05
I like Syd in Floyd.  I have a couple of his solo albums -

Barrett, Syd    Opel    1970            907    1/10/04    8
Barrett, Syd    Barrett    1970            906    3/23/04    19

I dread when they come up in rotation.  Pretty awful.  Very sad considering the stuff he did with Pink Floyd was for the most part rather cool.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 10:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, I would be interested to know about what you liked better from the original show (and perhaps also what you liked better on the new one). I got to see the new one and indeed it was the greatest show one could expect (even my wife, who isn't really such a fan of Pink Floyd nor prog in general) was really impressed by it. However, I didn't make it to the original Pink Floyd ones, since I was too busy learning to walk and talk and such things.

It's in the review section that I posted it. Not sure I have even copied it to my website!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 22:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It's in the review section that I posted it. Not sure I have even copied it to my website!

Yeah, I just looked it up. Actually, I had already read it, and we exchanged a few posts on it too.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 12:59

Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply