Topic ClosedUnicorn Vs The Madcap Laughs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which album you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [66.67%]
8 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unicorn Vs The Madcap Laughs
    Posted: April 17 2015 at 01:54
Both great acid folk albums from late 60s / early 70s era.

An initial vote goes to Unicorn

Please vote.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:16
Madcap is a classic. Unicorn, not so much.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:03
Unicorn for me.. strange sound but beautifull songs
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:07
Bolan's dog sang better than him (Mademoiselle Nobs) LOL
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 11:24
Not a huge fan of either albums. Voted for Madcap because it has Golden Hair.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 12:13
Unicorn. I don't get the cult of Syd Barrett:(
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 15:22
Meh.

Barrett.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 17:28
Unicorn, I guess.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 17:31
For me, the Madcap Laughs by about the length of the navigable universe (and although I can live with the acid/psychedelia tag, folk is very wide of the mark for Syd)
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 18:59
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

(...) (and although I can live with the acid/psychedelia tag, folk is very wide of the mark for Syd)
At the present day, The Madclap Laughs the album sounds to me like a magnificent indie-folk. No wonder that the album experienced a renaissance in the nineties when it was quite inspirational for many artists at the indie scene. However, historically, it is acid-folk unquestionable.
SteveG explained it to you (and all of us) so clear and substantiated in another thread so there's no rational reason anymore for further discussion about it.

Edited by Svetonio - April 17 2015 at 19:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 19:08
^ interesting perception that finding sufficient voices that echo your own somehow transforms an opinion into fact but yes, I'm also tired of category arguments. All said and done, I love both of Syd's solo 'psychedelic skiffle' albums hugely and continue to enjoy not being Welsh.Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:22
^ what's this? what's this? 'Psychedelic Skiffle'? Surely you mean 'Acyd Skyffle' as invented by Nick Drake, a dire genre that saw a massive revival of interest in the mid 90s and spawned the entire "unplugged" craze that lasted for oh, all of five minutes. Of course if you did indeed mean that then you'd be horribly wrong, but in a good way of course. To modern ears The Madcap Laughs is unquestionbabbly 'Psych Grunge',  a genre that would have been created by Jymi Hendryx had he lived just a few years longer and had figured out how to play the acoustic guitar Don O'Van had given him without setting fire to it. (Something, it has to be noted, that many people had wanted to do while Don O'Van was still playing it). 

Of course to anyone with ears and not born in Powys The Madcat Barfs, (note: this was original title before a joint champagne by Mary of the PDSA and Jane from the Cat Protection League forced EMI to change it), was, and thus remains, a Freakbeat Funk album with mild psychotropic influences if swallowed whole. It goes without saying: Don't try this at home kids, go round to a friends house and do it there.

I can now reveal that in layter lyfe Barrett went on to become the incognito'd Styg, a tame helicopter water-skier on John Peel's Top Gear, a clue to which was blatantly given in one episode, as shown in the deliberate misspelling of his name in the publicity photographs from that programme:
Of course, who can forget the episode where David, Richard and Nick did that hilarious thing with a bathtub and some pram wheels. Oh how we wanted to laugh.

Tune in next week for another fun-packed episode of "Incorrectly Guess The Genre" where we'll be discussing how Jym O'Van Morrison invented Techno Acyd Trance:

/edit: should Iayn (or anyone else) want to verify any of these made-up facts then I can recommend as the definitive go-to resource, The Ladybird Book of British Rock:
As you can see from the cover, this indispensable volume features an article on Tyrannosaurus Rex. There is also fascinating chapter devoted entirely to "The Battle" from Ryck Wakeman's classic live album 'Capes and Curries of the World':
As well as a chapter titled 'Lesser Known Keyboard Power Trios Who Aren't Emerson, Lake and Someone Whose Name Beginnings With P':

Edited by Dean - April 18 2015 at 03:12
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:42
^LOL I did warn you about those paint fumes. I bet that porch of yours is a groovy kaleidoscope of trippy colours man
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:17
...then I sobered-up and discovered that I'd painted it two shades of grey. Unhappy
What?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:30
Thumbs UpIncredible Morrison speech ! Vote for Barrett. I prefer A Beard Of Stars to Unicorn. 
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 07:53

I voted for The Madcap Lauhgs because it reminds me of Croatian psychedelic folk singer~songwiter Drago Mlinarec Smile

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 11:56
Okay, enough larking about, serious face: Stern Smile

Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

I voted for The Madcap Lauhgs because it reminds me of Croatian psychedelic folk singer~songwiter Drago Mlinarec Smile

Okay, I'll take the bait...

...having now listened to the Folk Rock of Drago Mlinarec, and I must a stress this was a cursory listen to random tracks that came up on a YouBoob search... it was (American influenced/American) Folk Rock I'll grant you, and a times even Blues Folk Rock, but where are the psychedelics?

Not only that, I hear absolutely nothing that would remind me of Syd Barrett, The Madcap Laughs or English Psychedelic Rock.

Accepted - I have only heard 4 Mlinarec tracks compared to everything that's been released by Barrett, so perhaps I have yet to hear the quintessentially English Psychedelic Rock of Mlinarec that would be so reminiscent of Barrett.

Now, as we know - Barrett was English, and while he was interested in American Blues, very little American music influence ever appeared in his recorded work, neither with Floyd nor as a solo artist. The Psychedelic Rock that they produced was decidedly English Psychedelic Rock and a long way removed from American Psychedelic Rock [The only British band that got anywhere close to American Psych was Eric Burdon's Animals IMO], so it would be a pretty good bet that if Barrett ever did Acid Folk then it would lean towards English Acid Folk (and certainly not the Scottish Dylan-influenced Folk Rock of Donovan either)... you know the  Nick Drake kind of thing, the Comus kind of thing, the Amazing Blondel kind of thing... So that "Folk" element would by the same virtue lean pretty heavily on English Folk (one would assume), not exclusively Tradition English Folk, but the kind of modern English Folk that was popular in the folk clubs around England at that time of Ewan MacColl, the Collins sisters, Bert Jansch. This was 1968/69 after all so pre-dates the (not Psych) Folk Rock of Harvest label mates Michael Chapman and Roy Harper.

So bearing all that in mind... can you explain how The Madcap Laughs (or his sophomore album Barrett) is Acid (aka Psych) Folk? To enable you to do this I will permit you to crib from Stevie Gee's extensive (so clear and substantiated) one-liner explanation as many times as you like, because, (and you may not be aware of this), repetititition is the mother of learning, but I will require you to go further than just saying "it's a combination of Psych Rock and Folk Music" because those who are questioning this are doing so by asking (the very valid question) "where is the Folk?"

Geek

Edited by Dean - April 18 2015 at 11:59
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 12:15
I don't find Syd Barrett's solo albums to be masterpieces. To my ears, the songs range from sad to pathetic, as in Waters and Gilmour saying, "hey, let's keep Syd amused while he goes through another schizophrenic event. We don't want him found in the gutter lying in his own excrement." Therapy for the deranged.

That being said, T-Rex and Bolan's silly mythologizing and sloppy guitars ain't much better. If I listen to T-Rex, it isn't till the Electric Warrior and The Slider period.

P.S. Both Barrett and T-Rex are better myths and legends than their actual output suggests. Put the mention of T-Rex in a Mott the Hoople song or a Who song, or Barrett in a Pink Floyd musical memoir and the outcome is much better.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 18 2015 at 12:36
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 12:52
I seriously disagree with you assessment of the quality of Barrett's solo material, though, as much as I hate to admit it, some of the decisions made by Waters and Gilmour when organizing his solo albums don't help matters. For example, the alternate version of "She Took A Long Cool Look" is great, assuming you get rid of the false starts, but they went with the one where Syd stops in the middle of the song to turn a page. I guess they were trying for a Let It Be-styled approach with some of the songs, but it just comes across as, like you mentioned earlier, sad and pathetic.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 12:53

@Dean, both of them were great shamans of unplugged hippy music where the lyrics were important as same as the music......I know, I know, you cant understand Drago's lyrics......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>