Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog & others

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic Rock Presents Prog & others
    Posted: April 18 2015 at 00:19
Lately I am a bit confused about Classic Rock Presents Prog Magazine, I thought the current top prog artists i.e. on P.A. would at least be mentioned on there but so far what they publish is not even necessary prog related. They constantly add famous made bands on their magazine issues/articles (by this I do not mean the mag cover) however in terms of current popularity or having a voice in regards to prog bands or helping by spreading the word for those they think have great potential, their support is zero. Ouch
As anyone had a good positive experience with them? I honestly don't think they are deserving of the name prog.
A big hug to you all, Hug
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 01:42
I don't subscribe to it but I tried looking on the web and found this link

going by this it seems all present and correct.

Kati, could you give an example of bands that you think are not prog and not deserving to be in it?

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 01:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Kati, could you give an example of bands that you think are not prog and not deserving to be in it?

RichardH,
HIHIHI OK, I have exaggerated the none prog bands to be honest this I do have to admit, however Metallica I believe is not prog and does not belong there.
A big hug to you, RichardH SmileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:01
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

RichardH,
HIHIHI OK, I have exaggerated the none prog bands to be honest this I do have to admit, however Metallica I believe is not prog and does not belong there.
Their magazines, I hardly see any band that I don't know or heard about Disapprove
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:31
Yep I know what you mean as regards too much coverage of bands that simply don't need it. I listen to Planet Rock for just one hour a week which is all the 'new' prog you get on that rock station and literally every time there has to be at least one track by Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Neal Morse or Spock's Beard. I mean why?? There are so many new bands that need coverage. Its just plain lazy to keep going back to the same ole thing all the time.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:56

Yep I know what you mean as regards too much coverage of bands that simply don't need it. I listen to Planet Rock for just one hour a week which is all the 'new' prog you get on that rock station and literally every time there has to be at least one track by Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Neal Morse or Spock's Beard. I mean why?? There are so many new bands that need coverage. Its just plain lazy to keep going back to the same ole thing all the time.
True as much as I really like the above bands, I prefer to listen and discover new bands on radio. Hug
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:03
I subscribe to Prog magazine and find that it provides excellent coverage of a wide range of prog and prog-related artists. There are often articles on the classic bands (Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Tull,Crimson etc). However, the magazine also focuses strongly on new artists also. It is through this magazine that I first found out about artists such as Haken, Sanguine Hum, Amplifier etc. The magazine gets the balance about right between old and new. It also covers a wide range of the sub genres of prog, with perhaps a slight leaning in favour of prog metal.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:16
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I subscribe to Prog magazine and find that it provides excellent coverage of a wide range of prog and prog-related artists. There are often articles on the classic bands (Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Tull,Crimson etc). However, the magazine also focuses strongly on new artists also. It is through this magazine that I first found out about artists such as Haken, Sanguine Hum, Amplifier etc. The magazine gets the balance about right between old and new. It also covers a wide range of the sub genres of prog, with perhaps a slight leaning in favour of prog metal.
Green Shield, these New artists on there most have paid for that tiny spot of publicity. ErmmHug
A band I am closely connected to also have appeared on there two years ago, they paid too of course. Wink

Edited by Kati - April 18 2015 at 03:18
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 03:21
Quite disturbing to me that I know or am aware of all bands on here Stern Smilehttps://prog.teamrock.com/features/
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 04:40
My complain with the mag is that they cover 95% of the time with only UK bands (i know is a English mag but a little more diversity could be great) ... and the albums review most of the time i don't like it.
Still Wakeman articles are always fun to read.

my opinion is that best prog magazine was PROGRESSION
Without a doubt ( i still have a copy with the flower kings on the cover, try to top that      

Edited by martinprog77 - April 18 2015 at 04:41
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 04:46
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

My complain with the mag is that they cover 95% of the time with only UK bands (i know is a English mag but a little more diversity could be great) ... and the albums review most of the time i don't like it.
Still Wakeman articles are always fun to read.

my opinion is that best prog magazine was PROGRESSION
Without a doubt ( i still have a copy with the flower kings on the cover, try to top that      
Hahaha Martinprog, I love TFK's too. Did you know that they had a tourbus with artwork designed by Ed Unitsky (the fish kind of design) first time they took it on the road they crashed against a moose, that bus was a complete ride off, luckily none of the bandmembers got hurt, but aww I feel bad for the stupid moose tho' Ouch
hug Hug
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 04:58
Oh those crazy prog musicians .i didn't know that thanks for the data
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 05:20
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Oh those crazy prog musicians .i didn't know that thanks for the data
It is an odd funny true story yes Big smile you are most welcome Hug
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 05:22

RichardH,

I don't remember seeing Metallica in Prog, when was that?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 05:32
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

RichardH,

I don't remember seeing Metallica in Prog, when was that?
Wow hello Chopper!!! Shocked long time no see Big smileHug
Here are a few https://prog.teamrock.com/search/?search-term=metallica
Don Quito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 07:05
Hi to everyone,

I found PA the most complete source of progressive rock, but there are still more bands out there that deserve to be in.

I always check at every years critic's choices from Prog Rock Magazine and most of the bands mentioned are in PA (i.e. Opeth, Anathema, Bigelf, Amplifier, Knifeworld, Mastodon, North Atlantic Oscillation, The Pineapple Thief, etc.), but others such as Katatonia, Tame Impala, Bruce Soord, Scott Walker, among many others, really deserve to be in Prog Archives data base.

Edited by Don Quito - April 18 2015 at 07:13
KEEP THE PROMISE YOU MADE
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 08:36
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

A agree. I get it and it's brilliant.

As for Planet Rock's "One Man and his Prog", I listen every week (twice) and love it. Sure, Darren Reddick is American and loves Dream Theater and Rush, but he plays tons of other stuff, modern, obscure and classic. 
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:03
It's very focused on the UK, classic bands and modern 'mainstream' bands. It typically doesn't do a lot Avant, Electronic or the edges of the scene. I'm not really surprised as it's trying to sell copies and focuses on its core demographic. Typically I buy it when its got something that interests me but otherwise don't bother. Last one I bought was the King Crimson special. I'll probably buy the current one as it's got a big Canterbury article. The copies I buy usually have a lot of Sid Smith's writing in them. I doubt I'll ever see a review of the RIO Festival in it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:15
I subscribed for a year, and after a few issues found myself not reading the magazine. Quite honestly, I found it to be pretty cheesy, and darn expensive for what you got. The layout absolutely drove me nuts - way too much like a fanzine targeted at a teenage audience.

The articles on classic groups and albums were, however, by-in-large pretty good and interesting. I didn't really gather a lot of information on new groups through the magazine, and much prefer the PA format for doing so.
I had no idea the new groups paid for coverage in the magazine. I now feel just like little Ralphie in a 'Christmas Story' finding out that Annie's important secret message is actually an Ovaltine advertisement Cry
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 09:48
Great to have other people's perspectives inc. positive ones. As per above, I quote myself:"Has anyone had a good positive experience with them?"
This is an open discussion topic, although I personally do not see much benefits or help in promoting new unknown artists, some disagree with me. This is an interesting topic and open for debate, I would love for everyone to share their experiences on here. Big hug to everyone,
 Hug

Edited by Kati - April 18 2015 at 10:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>