Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassic Rock Presents Prog & others

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 05:41
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Dean, you know I would never ever say you are pompous! Why would you think that of me? I was merely trying to deviate the topic.  
I didn't for one moment think you were, (I have a much higher opinion of myselfWink) I was just curious to why you wanted to "break free from this pompous BS" Tongue
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 05:43
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I got to break free from this pompous B.S.  Queen - I Want To Break Free (High Quality) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM8Ss28zjcE&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwNCMWxAGZao-G4-sIKxA9T3&index=60 XXXXX
Who's being pompous? Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean here, but where is the BS?
Dean, you are my fav, hot fluffy pompous grumpy Big smile hug Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 05:44

Dean, you know I would never ever say you are pompous! Why would you think that of me? I was merely trying to deviate the topic.  
I didn't for one moment think you were, (I have a much higher opinion of myselfWink) I was just curious to why you wanted to "break free from this pompous BS" Tongue
hahaha you are quick lolol hahahaha LOLHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 05:56
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I've read through the last two or three pages of posts, and a couple of observations stood out for me:

1) As David pointed out, these days there are very probably more bands/artists than fans, which means that those bands/artists have to work very hard at attracting their potential audience's attention.

2) Unfortunately, as Dean wrote in his most recent post, far too many of those bands/artists have very little clue of how to spread the word. Anyone who has worked in a genre team here at PA, or written reviews on a regular basis, has spent a fair share of his/her time looking for information about a band/artist, and found there was very little available. Bandcamp is great, but it would be nice if the artists remembered to post at least ONE link to their website/Facebook page/blog/etc, instead of having the listener/reviewer hunt around the Internet for scraps of info. Sometimes it feels like a band/artist does not want to be found. I am all for promoting new music, but those whose music I am trying to promote should collaborate as well.

Finally, I cannot but endorse Angelo's remarks about the negativity of some recent threads. There isn't anything productive in mulling over and over how nasty the music industry is nowadays, or why the younger generations don't embrace prog. What about celebrating what we like for a change, instead of emphasizing every single negative aspect?
If there are more bands/artists than fans, I do not believe this it would be the end and a nightmare, I won't believe this and will keep sharing my enthusiasm to others. Common, to be honest we complain about pop artists and rap artists too but atleast they are united meanwhile all we do is snob our noses and bitch about others, Ouch
P.S. Endorse is big word, Raff. I rather prefer to say (instead saying I do not endorse) I disagree what you said about Angelo.

Edited by Kati - April 24 2015 at 06:01
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 05:58
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Although... a bigger web presence begins with the band's own pages, Dean, nothing wrong with that.
It does, but the sequence goes: 1st party presence (bandcamp, facebook, myspace, youtube-channel); solicited 2nd party presence (band listing sites, wikipedia, LastFM, PA); unsolicited 3rd party presence (blogs, fan pages, review-sites).

Often it stops dead at 1st party presence. Many assume that 2nd party presence, such as being listed here is enough. Few bands ever achieve 3rd party recognition even within the 2nd/3rd party domain of the PA. Adding a band here is not creating 3rd party interest in a band if no one ever reviews an album.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The incident that caused this childish rift between Svetonio and myself was over the inclusion of a band. He was getting hung-up over which subgenre the band should be placed in (Math or Eclectic). I said [if the subgenre is hard to decide then] it doesn't matter where the band goes because (and this is something I learnt from Mickey) we should "let the reviews speak for the music". So later when Austin said "IF they were passed to Math then let's just add them there"... Svetonio took this as an official acceptance of the band. So when I pointed out that the rest of the Math team would need to vote on the evaluation he replied with: "let the reviews speak for the music" ...I thought (and still think) that was a silly thing to say and I told him to stop being a four-letter word that begins with "d" and ends with "k". In the end (9 months later) the band was added to RIO/Avant. To date they have no reviews and only two ratings: by Svetonio and the band's guitarist. Stern Smile

Edited by Dean - April 24 2015 at 06:18
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:06
you both stop being silly Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:07

Finally, I cannot but endorse Angelo's remarks about the negativity of some recent threads. There isn't anything productive in mulling over and over how nasty the music industry is nowadays, or why the younger generations don't embrace prog. What about celebrating what we like for a change, instead of emphasizing every single negative aspect?

P.S. Endorse is big word, Raff. I rather prefer to say (instead saying I do not endorse) I disagree what you said about Angelo.
Ermm Raff said "I cannot BUT endorse" ... that means she has no choice BUT to agree with him. That is: Raff agrees with Angelo Wink
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:09

you both stop being silly Hug
Silly is as silly does.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:10

Ermm Raff said "I cannot BUT endorse" ... that means she has no choice BUT to agree with him. That is: Raff agrees with Angelo Wink
Dean, you see!!! I am a nincompoop, this is proof! Confused I completely misread it and now I feel not so good about myself bah Ouch
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:13
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:39

Dean, you see!!! I am a nincompoop, this is proof! Confused I completely misread it and now I feel not so good about myself bah Ouch

Don't worry about it, Sonia. Nincompoop's can be great fun

Also, in keeping with the arguments on this thread, it should be said that the web presence of the Nincompoop is a damned sight greater than the majority of Bandcramp suggestions brought to PA in recent months
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:40
lol, Lazland, well said.

Sonia, thanks for defending me - despite the fact she agrees with me, Raff can look very threatening
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:52
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Don't worry about it, Sonia. Nincompoop's can be great fun

Also, in keeping with the arguments on this thread, it should be said that the web presence of the Nincompoop is a damned sight greater than the majority of Bandcramp suggestions brought to PA in recent months
Lazland, you are a magic, you give me (us) a beautiful happy feeling before we can think of anything good enough to reply to you , poof you disappear .... not fair, every time you appear you make us feel so special and think the world is wonderful and poof again you are gone lol you say the nicest things at the ones most down moments, awww thank you so much, not only for now but previous times and a few months back too Heart thank you very much,
Sonia
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 06:55

lol, Lazland, well said.

Sonia, thanks for defending me - despite the fact she agrees with me, Raff can look very threatening
Raff is intimidating because her knowledge is so much more than me Big smileHug
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 07:00
Prog today is where Punk was in 1981 - more bands than fans. We played to crowds of 10-15 people sometimes, all of whom were in bands themselves. Keep the faith, proggers. Maybe our Green Day is right around the corner.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 07:57
Green Day? Hmmm... glad I know what analogies are, because that would be a disaster, LOL

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 08:00

Green Day? Hmmm... glad I know what analogies are, because that would be a disaster, LOL

Green Day are Punk Rock, even the band describes themselves as such Stern Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 08:02
That was my point exactly...and miamiscot's as well ;-)
ISKC Rock Radio
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 08:04

Alas, many of the disagreements on the interwebs are the result of silly misunderstandings caused by people reading posts too quickly and reacting to what they think they read and not what was actually written. I am not immune from this, I too have been known to jump to the wrong conclusion over what I thought the other person said because I miss-read what they wrote. So, after 20 years of arguing on the internet, I try not to make snap knee-jerk replies and try to avoid attacking the person themselves; but again, I'm not immune - when frustrated by snippy posts I will give snippy replies, I'm not a machine, I have feelings and can be hurt as easily as anyone else. 

In one of my first ever BBS forum posts back in 1994 I typed "Br*t Pop" instead of "Brit Pop" because I thought it amusing to infer that it could mean Brit and Brat ... someone, un-offended by my cheap joke about Brit Pop, took exception to my improper use of the asterisk (*) and launched into a puerile attack on me personally and made what I can only assume he thought were clever remarks about Asterix being a Gaul not a Goth. A harsh lesson quickly learnt - if I behaved like a dick then I deserved to be called a dick but that doesn't grant anyone the right to be more of a dick in return. As abrasive as I am, I vowed never to become like that guy, so aside from some immature name-calling I've never made public personal attacks on anyone here, including Mr Svetonio Monopod. 

My first step towards that was the dumping of an anonymous screen-name to hide behind. The screen-name that Svetonio is so adverse to quoting in any post now is my real name. Similarly I use people's real names in any post I make (if I know it), I never call you "Kati" - it's always "Sonia", "Lazland" is "Steve" never "Laz", "Pedro" is never "Moshy" etc. etc. This is to remind me that the person behind the anonymous screen-name is a real person, just like me. They have feelings and emotions just like me, they get angry just me and they can get hurt, again, just like me. 

My second is to never post in haste or in anger.  Write-out the angry post by all means - it's very cathartic to vent your spleen - to see those angry words on a page -  but delete them, never post them.

When I write long-winded posts in response to something it is because I have taken the time to carefully read their post and consider every point they have made. If I do not understand the point then I ask for clarification and further explanation; conversely if I think the person has made an error then I will point that out to them and I'l try to do that without causing offence. Unfortunately some people are easily offended, they also have a habit of taking quotes out of context and deliberately miss-representing the opinion of others. I am never offended when people argue against me - that's healthy and acceptable. I do, however, take exception when people attack me instead of the points I am making, but my response is to either acknowledge the punch and continue without lowering myself to their level, or ignore it and walk away. I will not fight and squabble with people on the internet when they make it personal. Strong and heated discussion is not fighting, it is the expression of differing and conflicting opinion but it is not fighting, nor is it a reflection of animosity or spite. Personal attacks are.

I'll never go around hugging people because I'm British and we don't go in for that kind of thing, but I'll not kick them in the nether regions either. LOL

Edited by Dean - April 24 2015 at 08:10
What?
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 08:21
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

As for the reviews (as this is not only an archives site but also a reviews site), everyone is free to write a review on this website, and it is a great thing. However, in favor of trying to make that promotion of young bands bigger, each one's first review at PA, in my opinion, ought to be about a new band's debut album ( reviewer can chose any of them) that is with zero reviews, and then to write 500th review of Close to the Edge.
On that way, the new bands will get more reviews, and also at the site will be less albums without any review. Of course, this can not change the things regarding the site's promotion of new prog bands "absolutely" better, but it certainly can help imho.
It's a great idea, Svetonio Clap
Indeed there are so much of gorgeous debuts without a review and on the other side there are plenty of albums with hundreds of reviews. It's evidently that the newbies-reviewers are hurry to review mainly these famous albums with already a huge number of reviews. So i hope that the PA admins will take your proposal to serious consideration.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>