Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWill the future generation view prog ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will the future generation view prog ...
    Posted: April 18 2015 at 19:30
Will the future generation view prog the same way we view classical music? That is, we know it's good stuff, really well-written, but very few of us actually listen to it.Tongue
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 20:06
I think rather the way we view jazz - "good stuff, really well-written, but very few of us actually listen to it".
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 20:09
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Will the future generation view prog the same way we view classical music? That is, we know it's good stuff, really well-written, but very few of us actually listen to it.Tongue

My younger brother says he thinks I enjoy prog the way some people enjoy William Shatner's music - ironically, and for the cheese. I fear that the way he hears prog is the way alot of young people hear it. (Of course, I could always be wrong...)Confused
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 21:17

Your question better applies with regards to the Classical Music from the XVIII and XIX centuries, I guess I've read in PA Forum many folks talking about modern and contemporary composers, not to say those classical that directly influenced prog musicians, particularly the ones publicly known as their sources of inspiration.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 21:23
I think the next generation will only be seeing music that is digitally made and won't be able to see music as instrumentally. Prog would blow there mins because there minds wouldn't be open for it. It might be a good thing. As for us prog heads, we can show our children this stuff and maybe they will really like it. Maybe they would want to make their own prog rock and maybe we can make a comeback. Living in this digital age, kids don't want to listen to prog except some like myself. I don't know what to expect from the next generation and anything can happen
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 22:28
It's not a generational thing, it's a personal preference thing. The same way that there are "young people" who like Elvis or Sha Na Na or Deep Purple. Tastes are tastes and the era one is raised in has only a minor influence in the matter.So future generations will view Prog the same way they view everything, as something from the past that may or may not resonate with them no matter what the genre.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 11:36

Let's go back 100 years.

We do not know any "popular music", or have heard any of it, to know anything or to be able to compare it to something else. BUT, we know the names of many classical composers!

The 1950's and 1960's and then the media, made "popular music" a major proponent of music and its history ... what you and I don't know is how it will all be remembered and how it will influence the history of "classical" music.

This is one of the reasons why I request and would like to see better and more critical discussions and even a periodical that stands out (which would in a big place like this one!) that would help bridge the gap and show that there is "popular music" that is very different and approaches the quality and design of a lot of classical music works and composers, albeit this time it's a "band" and not necessarily a "composer" ... but the members make a "composer".

Make sure you send me an email in 50 years so I have a better idea!

I think that what we consider "progressive music" might not be "directly" known but its effects will be felt and possibly even entered as a generic form and example of how things went from point A to point B. But all this, I think, can only happen if its design, form and conceptualization goes beyond it being "pop music" ... which is the part that scares me, since (even here) we tend to label and discuss things more in relation to its fame/topten value than we do the music itself.

Hopefully, and it is my hope, and I think everyone's here, it will be "found" that there is a lot more in all this ... that will have an appeal for historians ... but yes, I do see pieces by YES, PINK FLOYD, and many others done as orchestral pieces in the next generation, or at least for how long it is remembered ... which you and I can say that happened to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc, etc ... other wise the music would have died.

I don't think that any of us wants that!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

It's not a generational thing, it's a personal preference thing. The same way that there are "young people" who like Elvis or Sha Na Na or Deep Purple. Tastes are tastes and the era one is raised in has only a minor influence in the matter.So future generations will view Prog the same way they view everything, as something from the past that may or may not resonate with them no matter what the genre.

Exactly.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 12:00
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Let's go back 100 years.

We do not know any "popular music", or have heard any of it, to know anything or to be able to compare it to something else. BUT, we know the names of many classical composers!

The 1950's and 1960's and then the media, made "popular music" a major proponent of music and its history ... what you and I don't know is how it will all be remembered and how it will influence the history of "classical" music.

Once again, your doltish rhetoric meant to fit your narrow point of view is not born out by the truth. In fact, your tripe is so out of kilter that one wonders if you know anything about music at all.

Let's see, 100 years ago. Popular music is flourishing while your ancestors obviously lived in a cave.

Irving Berlin. Tin Pan Alley. W.C. Handy wrote "St Louis Blues". Dixieland has spread from New Orleans to Chicago and New York. Britain is full of popular wartime melodies. People somehow learn to exist with just popular music to listen to.

Shut the front door, you're letting in a draft.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 19 2015 at 12:08
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 14:37
I've pondered on that subject for many years now, and my conclusion is that, no matter how much I speculate about it, only time will tell. I would love that the whole progressive spectrum of music gets appreciated by future generations, but there's no way we can for-see what the future holds, and how people will see our music.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 16:16
I doubt if it will be widely appreciated.  How many of us actively listen to barbershop quartet music, which used to be hugely popular?  

There will always be a small segment of society who will go "retro" however.  Think about listening to forty year old classic prog from the 1970s' today.

If we listened to forty year old music in the early 1970s, I think our contemporaries would have thought we were nuts.  "Boogie-Woogie-Bugle Boy of Company B"??  That would have killed them in the college dorm!  
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 12:56
How we view classical music??????

Is there a particular view?  

You say very few of us listen to classical music but you will find that far more people listen to classical music than listen to prog.

I'm not being obtuse - I just don't understand the question.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 13:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

There will always be a small segment of society who will go "retro" however.  Think about listening to forty year old classic prog from the 1970s' today.

If we listened to forty year old music in the early 1970s, I think our contemporaries would have thought we were nuts.  "Boogie-Woogie-Bugle Boy of Company B"??  That would have killed them in the college dorm!  
That's not necessarily true, C. In the 70s, my friends and I were listening to Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Leadbelly and other bluesmen from the 20s and 30s, and no one tried to kill me. I think Keith Richards and Eric Clapton did the same in the 60s, did they not?

EDIT: From a different angle, would any band from the 1960s ever have considered that people would still be buying their albums 50 years or more later? And not just old fanatics, but young people as well? "Hope I die before I get old!" Wink

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 21 2015 at 13:48
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 15:49
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

How we view classical music??????

Is there a particular view?  

You say very few of us listen to classical music but you will find that far more people listen to classical music than listen to prog.

I'm not being obtuse - I just don't understand the question.

I would say that far more people nowadays listen to Jazz (and its derivations even more) than listen to Classical Music, which for me is in serious danger of becoming a simple academic exercise, perhaps the exception of the rule being the pre-war and post-war Art Music.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 21:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

That's not necessarily true, C. In the 70s, my friends and I were listening to Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Leadbelly and other bluesmen from the 20s and 30s, and no one tried to kill me. I think Keith Richards and Eric Clapton did the same in the 60s, did they not?

EDIT: From a different angle, would any band from the 1960s ever have considered that people would still be buying their albums 50 years or more later? And not just old fanatics, but young people as well? "Hope I die before I get old!" Wink

Hey, thanks for that!  Yeah, I certainly did listen to a bit of classical in the 70s, I was very fond of ballets.  

However, in my circle, it was basically all prog, all the time!  We didn't even really listen to the hard rock (Led Zep, Deep Purple etc.) all that much.  Yes, Genesis, ELP and KC were in nearly constant rotation.  Amazing that we never tired of it!  

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 21:44
^that pretty much describes things when I got into prog...

Never go into ballets.  Huge Debussy fan though.

They probably won't.  We will likely all be extinct.  At least I figure the odds be 50-50... at a minimum.

About the same time I got into prog I started paying attention to jazz and classical.  There is also a little appreciation of some bluegrass. 

How exactly do we view classical?  For me there's some really good stuff and stuff I am just indifferent to.  As long as recorded media or streaming or cloud or whatever means of getting the music to your ears or possibly even drilled directly into your head survives, old music will survive and be appreciated by future generations (as long as we manage to keep from killing all of ourselves off)...

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 21 2015 at 21:56
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 16:04
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 16:52
What is going on here the past few months? Why is everyone being so nostalgic and emotional? 'Our music is not being heard by the young', 'the old bands should promote the new ones', 'the youth of today does not appreciate music if it's not electronically created'... Can't we just enjoy and discuss the music itself - that would lead to content that shows up in Google searches and make some of the young wonder about the music instead of looking at yet another drivel thread from the old geezers.... 

Sorry. I let myself go. I'll get my coat.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 18:10
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Can't we just enjoy and discuss the music itself - that would lead to content that shows up in Google searches and make some of the young wonder about the music instead of looking at yet another drivel thread from the old geezers.... 

Old geezer? Do you have a coat like this:

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 19:57
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Can't we just enjoy and discuss the music itself - that would lead to content that shows up in Google searches and make some of the young wonder about the music instead of looking at yet another drivel thread from the old geezers.... 

Old geezer? Do you have a coat like this:

LOL  Pass me another dog-end, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>