Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Album Trilogy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which band/performer had the best "trilogy"?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.14%]
13 [15.48%]
17 [20.24%]
27 [32.14%]
7 [8.33%]
11 [13.10%]
3 [3.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 13:29
I'm glad to see the Gong trilogy is not a protest or joke vote.
I don't want to get into production speak as obviously, Gong lose on that front. But as a narrative, their three albums were a story that have stood better than double and triple albums of one story by other bands.
The Radio Gnome Trilogy could not have been performed and recorded all three albums at once and then released over the months and years.
The Radio Gnome Trilogy show how the bad developed and grew in strength having months in-between the recording and tours.
I'm hoping the trilogy will get re-evaluated soon. Even if it doesn't, I still rate that trilogy the highest, so it's there at least for me and others!
And even if the story goes mental in "You" the fact they stretched the story that far shows them to be as important as Pink Floyd. 
Now imagine Roger Waters using a trilogy to build his wall and was recording it over three years with a band who's line up keeps changing.

I also believe Daevid over the invisible foam mattress that prevented him from getting onto stage, although I've got no physical proof myself of this happening!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 22:40
OK, I understand what you wanted to do here (though at least I don't understand why the King Crimson one would be a trilogy and not the other ones, but I guess you just read an article I didn't). However, apart from the other list of "trilogies" that was presented also (which I guess I could understand why you don't want to consider them trilogies... but at least musically they do have a lot on common, making them as much a trilogy as Jethro Tull's one, I guess), I'd like to think about the Pink Floyd "Dark Side, WYWH, Animals" as a trilogy... and perhaps the early Mike Oldfield albums too... though those are 4, and I wouldn't finde a reason to leave any of those out. However, you could indeed include a "Pink Floyd" trilogy (almost)... once I read about Waters saying he considers "Dark Side", "The Wall" and "Amused to Death" as a sort of trilogy (I guess given that they are all his conceptual babies). Also, from Oldfield, you could consider the Tubular bells ones as a trilogy.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:26
Voted for Gong, the only actual trilogy among the choices. Fantastic creation.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 01:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

OK, I understand what you wanted to do here (though at least I don't understand why the King Crimson one would be a trilogy and not the other ones, but I guess you just read an article I didn't). However, apart from the other list of "trilogies" that was presented also (which I guess I could understand why you don't want to consider them trilogies... but at least musically they do have a lot on common, making them as much a trilogy as Jethro Tull's one, I guess), I'd like to think about the Pink Floyd "Dark Side, WYWH, Animals" as a trilogy... and perhaps the early Mike Oldfield albums too... though those are 4, and I wouldn't finde a reason to leave any of those out. However, you could indeed include a "Pink Floyd" trilogy (almost)... once I read about Waters saying he considers "Dark Side", "The Wall" and "Amused to Death" as a sort of trilogy (I guess given that they are all his conceptual babies). Also, from Oldfield, you could consider the Tubular bells ones as a trilogy.

My thought would be that you should vote or not, and then make your own poll for whatever it is you make up in your head.

Pink Floyd's DSotM, WYWH and Animals have never, ever, been or will be considered a trilogy by anyone but you. Jethro Tull's "Folk-Rock" trilogy has been referred to as such since their release. Each has folk music as a base and each has an environmental theme: Songs from the Wood (woods, forests), Heavy Horses (field and farm) and Storm Watch (the sea).

Again, did you even bother to vote or are you more interested in nitpicking someone else's poll?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chrijom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 02:23
Zero the Hero!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 02:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

My thought would be that you should vote or not, and then make your own poll for whatever it is you make up in your head.

Pink Floyd's DSotM, WYWH and Animals have never, ever, been or will be considered a trilogy by anyone but you. Jethro Tull's "Folk-Rock" trilogy has been referred to as such since their release. Each has folk music as a base and each has an environmental theme: Songs from the Wood (woods, forests), Heavy Horses (field and farm) and Storm Watch (the sea).

Again, did you even bother to vote or are you more interested in nitpicking someone else's poll?

Not true as I also mentioned it earlier

btw the discussion of what is a 'trilogy' is far more interesting than the poll itself . You were always leaving yourself open to being questioned . Anyway the poll continues and any discussion regardless of what its about will keep the poll going.

Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 03:00

I tend to regard the Pink Floyd albums as a trilogy of sorts. DSOTM marked quite a transition, beginning a stylistically different era for Floyd. The Wall began a different era (seeing a marginalisation of Rick Wright). I suppose in this thread a trilogy can only be regarded as such if it is deemed to be so by Dark Elf. So it is pointless referring to other trilogies unless you want to be rudely dismissed as 'nit-picking' someone else's poll (the hypocrisy is staggering - don't you think).
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:18
The Who - Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:13
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I tend to regard the Pink Floyd albums as a trilogy of sorts. DSOTM marked quite a transition, beginning a stylistically different era for Floyd. The Wall began a different era (seeing a marginalisation of Rick Wright). I suppose in this thread a trilogy can only be regarded as such if it is deemed to be so by Dark Elf. So it is pointless referring to other trilogies unless you want to be rudely dismissed as 'nit-picking' someone else's poll (the hypocrisy is staggering - don't you think).
I guess I should have titled the poll "Not Albums That I Believe Are Trilogies, But Trilogies As Noted By Critics Or The Bands Themselves". I didn't simply pull these trilogies out of a hat or simply pick the bestest three albums in a row from favorite bands. There is at least a nominal bit of research here, not simply a flatulent opinion based on personal preference:

Davie Bowie - Berlin Trilogy: Google "Berlin Trilogy". Enough said.

Jethro Tull - Folk-rock Trilogy: As I stated previously, "Each has folk music as a base and each has an environmental theme: Songs from the Wood (woods, forests), Heavy Horses (field and farm) and Storm Watch (the sea)," and I didn't simply make up the references regarding it being a trilogy.

Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy: The band themselves refer to the three albums as such.

King Crimson - The "John Wetton" Trilogy: The three albums, released in 1973-74, are stylistically, compositionally and lyrically completely different than their predecessor (Islands) and the follow up (Discipline), Peter Sinfield has no part in the compositions, the power trio (Fripp, Bruford, Wetton) is constant, there is a reliance on more jazz improvisation and metal elements than the previous albums and the follow up. The albums SaBB and Red are logical extensions of the sound of LTiA; in fact, Red is the culmination of ideas first presented in LTiA.

Riverside - Reality Dream Trilogy: Again, the band itself refers to the three albums as such, and they also packaged the three together for sale under that title.

Rush - The Fear Trilogy: There is a song series running in inverse order through the three albums. Part I: "The Enemy Within" (from 1984's Grace Under Pressure), Part II: "The Weapon" (from 1982's Signals), and Part III: "Witch Hunt" (from 1981's Moving Pictures).

Frank Zappa - Jazz Trilogy: Not sequential, but all jazz-fusion and each related per Zappa (in fact, if you look at the Waka/Jawaka album cover you will see a sink and the faucets have the words "HOT" and "RATS").

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 26 2015 at 10:21
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:01
To add to the Jethro Tull trilogy, I think the albums were also meant to represent different phases of time.

Songs from the Wood - The lyrics are mainly based on folklore and old tales.

Heavy Horses - While the style from the previous album carried over pretty evidently, there is a shift to a more current, present, in-the-now subject matter.

Stormwatch - This time, the lyrics focus on the future, and especially some global economical issues that were relevant at the time.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 22:17

Hey, no need to get angry here. Polls are not only for voting, but also for discussing. I'm afraid I don't feel comfortable voting because there are many options I don't know at all, and I do understand if you won't consider the Pink Floyd and early Mike Oldfield as trilogies (though, as far as I understood your reasons for including the King Crimson Trilogy, this ones would apply on similar basis). But I gave a very valid argument for the Roger Waters trilogy (and the Tubular Bells one doesn't really need explanation). However, I do understand if you didn't want to put any of them because whether you don't like them, you didn't think about them, or know about them, or you just didn't feel like doing so. I'm not critizising your choices, just giving some ideas of my own. If you don't like discussions on your polls, you could make them without comments enabled... but then they wouldn't last a day before they fade into oblivion.
windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 11:15
I think it's unjust to put these King Crimson albums in a poll like this. I guess, it would be a hard task to find 3 any albums from any band to beat so called 'Wetton trilogy'. So I restrained myself from voting KC, therefore Gong is the best out of 6 options left, by large margin.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123