Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWorst concert you've ever seen?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 17:37
Must be Paradise Lost and Katatonia I saw 4-5 years back. Terrible sound and both bands appeared amateur and simplistic on their playing on stage (maybe the sound quality had its effects on this though). Bad night overall and went away disillusioned...
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 18:11
Ginger Baker's Air Force.  I walked out after about 35 minutes, I couldn't take it any more.  The ONLY concert I've ever done that.  Worst piece of dreck I ever heard in concert.  (and I've seen some sh*t bands live)

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 18:21
Type O Negative.  Great band on disc, mind-numbingly boring on stage.  (You know a band's in trouble when the only member who shows any signs of life at all is the keyboard player.)

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 18:57
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

Type O Negative.  Great band on disc, mind-numbingly boring on stage.  (You know a band's in trouble when the only member who shows any signs of life at all is the keyboard player.)

I saw them back in 1998 and thought them as animated as any gothic/doom meta band is likely to be. Wink

I did fall asleep during Cathedral's set at Bloodstock indoor - but in their defence it had been a long day of intense metal music after a 200 mile drive and I had drunk quite a lot of ale so not even they could stave-off the pull of Morpheus...
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 19:04
I saw Type O back in 97 during the October Rust tour. One of the best gigs I've ever attended. They even broke out the covers and did Cinnamon Girl, Black Sabbath and Light my Fire. They must've played 2 hours and 45 minutes before finishing off with a very intoxicated Pete Steele ripping all 4 strings out of his bass guitar with one big violent pull. The man was a bear. Enormous.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 19:59
Amy Winehouse in Belgrade, because she was drunk. Sadly, she died ten days after and it was her last show.

Edited by Svetonio - April 22 2015 at 20:00
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 20:02
Talking of falling asleep.........I know my kid will hate me for this. Opening act for DT on the ADToE Tour was Trivium (something like that). Hard thrashy metal, actually my wife thought they were pretty good!! There were about 100 people or so that only came to see them and then left....LOL!!

My son was OUT during their performance, grant it had been a long day for him, sitting in line and all, he was 12yr old time of this picture. Dude and we were like in the 4th row, no clue how he did this and he remembers nothing!! LOL

Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 20:11
Wink  Prolly not what you had in mind but 'N Sync in Milwaukee.  My daughter wanted to go in the worst way and so I took her but forgot earplugs.  The band wasn't loud but 12000 screaming tweens left me deaf for two days.  The opening act was a then unknown Britney Spears.  Never would have guessed what followed. 

Edited by Cailyn - April 22 2015 at 20:48
http://www.cailynmusic.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 20:26
I've generally had good luck with concerts but 3 stand out.

The Stranglers on the Feline tour at Newcastle, they got into a standoff with security and refused to play until security left. It lasted about 15 minutes until security gave up at left fearing ariot. The crowd proceeded to trash the place, awful.

The Toy Dolls played the Newcastle Student Union, they were a small time punk band who had a hit with a cover of Nellie the Elephant. They played a total of 6 songs of which 3 were Nellie the Elephant. Must of been a total of 30 minutes if that.

Magnum in Redcar, band were great but halfway through the set someone stole a guitar pedal off the stage. The band refused to play until it was returned, there was a good natured standoff with stuff being thrown for about 10 minutes. When we saw a turd in a plastic glass fly through the air we decided it was time to leave.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 22 2015 at 20:27
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 20:58
I was dragged to a Counting Crows concert at a local college. It was awful. Not least because I hate their music and the singer's voice. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2015 at 23:28

I had to look this up to see who the third band was.  The Big F?  Don't remember anything about them at all.  or DTM, really.  But Voivod was just really loud.  I don't remember any other details, just that I left very disappointed with the performance.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 19:24
For me, the most disappointing concert I've ever been to is the Steeleye Span in Gothenburg, don't remember the year.
Not only were they two hours late, but when they finally got on, they were so stoned they could hardly find their instruments, and Maddy couldn't stand up straight, had to hang on to the mic stand. It's the only time I've actually booed a performance, (if you could call it that).
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2015 at 21:18
Not really bad, but the time I was most disappointed was when I saw Coheed & Cambria opening for Alice In Chains and Jane's Addiction (so I wasn't too bummed with those two following).  Their drummer was sick and didn't perform, so they turned their show into an acoustic set.  Not much they really could've done, but I wanted to hear a hard-hitting, full on performance.  I love acoustic versions of other bands, but C&C isn't really one I want to hear that kind of thing. 
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 18:41
Never seen a truly bad band. I went to see Kings of Leon with my uncle, aunt, and cousin cause he had a spare ticket. They and the other supporting act weren't too bad, but Young the Giant were just very, very bland; very forgettable.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 20:40
A friend of mine and I went to see Lisa Loeb back in 1998 or so, hoping to see a swarm of cute girls wearing glasses. It turned out to be a total sausage fest. I only knew one song of hers (a minor hit that I can't recollect anymore) and her tunes were quite boring. We didn't stay long.

In 1997 I saw the Cranes perform. Unfortunately their new album had just come out that turned out to be a failed attempt at a more mainstream sound (called "4") and they played a lot of songs from it. What was worse though was the horrible acoustics of the venue...some club in Toronto...and the fact that the singer's microphone kept blasting feedback. Really annoying. Rasputina opened and were far more enjoyable and whose style actually worked better acoustically in that awful place.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:04
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Talking of falling asleep.........I know my kid will hate me for this. Opening act for DT on the ADToE Tour was Trivium (something like that). Hard thrashy metal, actually my wife thought they were pretty good!! There were about 100 people or so that only came to see them and then left....LOL!!

My son was OUT during their performance, grant it had been a long day for him, sitting in line and all, he was 12yr old time of this picture. Dude and we were like in the 4th row, no clue how he did this and he remembers nothing!! LOL

Aw man, you missed out. I saw them on that tour in Cincinnati, and one of the KC Projekcts opened for DT there.

On a sidenote, nobody has listed Dream Theater as their worst concert ever, or at least not the Dream Theater part of the concert. LOL
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Aw man, you missed out. I saw them on that tour in Cincinnati, and one of the KC Projekcts opened for DT there.

Was that the tour in 2012? If so I was there for the Projekct set, hung around for 3 DT tracks and left, pretty awful but not my thing and I wasn't there for them. It was the day after Nearfest and I was tired from the drive to Cincinnati.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - April 26 2015 at 09:23
Ian

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:55
Micky and I walked out of the Dream Theater set at the the Merriweather Post Pavilion (ProgNation 2010) after a mere three songs. It felt like being bludgeoned over the head for a straight half an hour, and any notion of finally "getting" them when seeing them on stage was dispelled by that experience.

However, if I have to mention the worst concert experience of the past few years, this dubious award goes to UK's abysmal set at NEARfest 2012. Though  know many will disagree with me, that was an awful way to end the festival's glorious history. Besides the almost 2-and-a-half-hour wait for their set to start, the performance itself was so subpar that even "Starless" (one of my favourite songs of all time) felt like torture.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:03
Sadly, Metallica's "Justice" show in '88 was a mess.  I think they were pretty drunk and the sound was dreadful. 

Honorable mention to the Dead in '86.  Jerry's health was poor and the stadium sound was bad enough to just walk out on, which we did. 

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:37
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

However, if I have to mention the worst concert experience of the past few years, this dubious award goes to UK's abysmal set at NEARfest 2012. Though  know many will disagree with me, that was an awful way to end the festival's glorious history. Besides the almost 2-and-a-half-hour wait for their set to start, the performance itself was so subpar that even "Starless" (one of my favourite songs of all time) felt like torture.

Alex would agree with you, she was so fed up with the wait for them to finally start she still grumbles about it 3 years later, it took a little of the edge off her first festival. I actually enjoyed UK's performance but I'd expected the horrendous delay given Jobson did the same thing two years earlier. I'm not particularly a fan of UK covers of KC tracks despite Wetton's presence.  
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>