FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP rip off Deep Purple?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Would be some irony as the live version of Space Trucking borrows from The Nice - Rondo ( also borrowed by Genesis for The Knife). The Nice in turn borrowed from Brubeck who in turn borrowed from Mozart. Ah now I've got it , everyone rips off Mozart!Wink

LOL LOL    Thumbs Up

P.S.: There is even a famous brasilian Funk group that ripped off Mozart's too, but of course the number of varied borrowings are astonishing bigger than we can imagine in the world of music.

Edited by Rick Robson - April 25 2015 at 07:08

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:08
Originally posted by windycrawford windycrawford wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Does that mean Floyd ripped off Cindy Lauper - I hear similarities between Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Learning To Fly, or I must be brain damaged. Whenever I hear that Lauper tune at work, I instantly start humming Learning To Fly.......
Lol there is similarity for real, so this might be Pink Floyd 'borrowing' from Cindy. Even if so, I won't get heart attack from it, since Floyd post-Wall era is certainly not among the best creations of prog.
And ofc i don't rly accuse ELP  of ripping off Purple, its just a kind of provocative topic name Big smile

Byw, please could you tell me who others amongst the 'Big 5' that post '79 are certainly not among the best creations of prog?

windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:22
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by windycrawford windycrawford wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Does that mean Floyd ripped off Cindy Lauper - I hear similarities between Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Learning To Fly, or I must be brain damaged. Whenever I hear that Lauper tune at work, I instantly start humming Learning To Fly.......
Lol there is similarity for real, so this might be Pink Floyd 'borrowing' from Cindy. Even if so, I won't get heart attack from it, since Floyd post-Wall era is certainly not among the best creations of prog.
And ofc i don't rly accuse ELP  of ripping off Purple, its just a kind of provocative topic name Big smile

Byw, please could you tell me who others amongst the 'Big 5' that post '79 are certainly not among the best creations of prog?

Well, King Crimson Discipline is adorable work imo, not pure prog by definition though. "Three of a perfect pair" is quite good as well.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:37
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

LOL that should've been the first reply, then the thread would've stopped.

When has the use of logic ever stopped a thread?

More than once... sometimes logic is so overpowering it leaves the participants baffled and speechless. But, it happens more often in real life than on a forum, that's true. Wink

Edited by Angelo - April 25 2015 at 06:38
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:39
Funny, Crimso dipped their feet into New-Wave waters in the 80's, and all 3 albums are wonderful.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:49
Yep... they left the pre-defined pattern that was enforced upon prog in the '70s and became great again.

Edited by Angelo - April 25 2015 at 06:49
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 07:05
I highly recommend Absent Lovers live album, if u haven't heard alrdy, which i consider the ultimate masterwork of 80-s Crimso
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 08:16
Funny how the ELP/Purple discussion veered off into Crimso territory
We Proggers just don't know when to stop....
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 09:13

Would be some irony as the live version of Space Trucking borrows from The Nice - Rondo ( also borrowed by Genesis for The Knife). The Nice in turn borrowed from Brubeck who in turn borrowed from Mozart. Ah now I've got it , everyone rips off Mozart!Wink

Next challenge: were Mozart tunes ripoffs from unknown baroque/renaissance masters? Wink
Let's all check the Bach/Palestrina back catalogue to find out LOL
defectinggrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:39
How about Child in Time and the opening of Bombay Calling by It's A Beautiful Day? The IABD album was released a year earlier than In Rock.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:52
Originally posted by defectinggrey defectinggrey wrote:

How about Child in Time and the opening of Bombay Calling by It's A Beautiful Day? The IABD album was released a year earlier than In Rock.

This is one of those "well known facts" and Gillian has acknowledged that musically it is based upon Bombay Calling (thou' he'd never heard the original when he wrote the lyrics) - IABD returned the 'compliment' by basing one of their songs (Don & Dewey) on Purple's Wring That Neck - which is probably how all these rip-off and plagiarism claims should be resolved instead wasting time and money in court with a judge who knows nothing about music.
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:53

The IABD song is a cover of the original 'Bombay Calling' written by jazz musician Vince Wallace in 1962. I couldn't find the original on Youtube, but here's Vince in 1974. The theme starts around the 1:50 mark:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 12:02
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Next challenge: were Mozart tunes ripoffs from unknown baroque/renaissance masters? Wink
Let's all check the Bach/Palestrina back catalogue to find out LOL

OK man, let's begin - I've already heard people wondering about this, I guess because Mozart was also a MASTER in creating hooking melodies quite accessible for everyone: singable - small ranges, in a major key, and a well-shaped melody; memorable - a lot of repetition in it, which helps make a song stick in the brain; and interesting - both for musicians like Mozart because of its implied harmonies, and for the listener, because the melody has f.ex. inherent tension in it.

Not only Mozart, but many classical musicians had often lifted tunes from each other, and this will always be found in music, forever, if you dig a little into classical you will understand better how common it was - they also even publicly mentioned different sorts of ripoffs in their own well-known Variations, which I often enjoy even more than the originals. Just an example, when Franz Liszt first performed a melody called "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman", he openly admitted he was not the melody’s maker, but had heard it in the work of another grand master, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Many people still believe that Mozart composed this tune, but what is true is that Mozart wrote twelve variations on the theme (also called Ah vous dirai-je, Maman), some time between 1782 and 1786, while he was staying in Paris. However. Mozart was himself knocking off the melody from a song called Le Faux Pas, whose first line was "Ah! vous dirai-je, Maman".

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 12:15
I don't know about Deep Purple, but I know ELP ripped off Yes's 'Roundabout' on 'In the Beginning'.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 15:37
Talking about rip offs; anyone recognizes this tune ;

Even the most revered songwriters do it, without giving credit where credit is due,  apparently. LOL

defectinggrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 16:02
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This is one of those "well known facts" and Gillian has acknowledged that musically it is based upon Bombay Calling (thou' he'd never heard the original when he wrote the lyrics) - IABD returned the 'compliment' by basing one of their songs (Don & Dewey) on Purple's Wring That Neck - which is probably how all these rip-off and plagiarism claims should be resolved instead wasting time and money in court with a judge who knows nothing about music.

In fairness, it wasn't a well known fact to me but you learn something new every day!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 02:22
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I don't know about Deep Purple, but I know ELP ripped off Yes's 'Roundabout' on 'In the Beginning'.

Something that never occurred to me even though I've heard those tunes a thousand times. There is some similarity granted but nothing that screams 'rip off' in fact I know it isn't!
You will always hear things that appear to be ripped off. For instance Rush appeared to rip off Be Bop Deluxe quite a lot , that stop start thing was not originated by Rush. However no one cares about this. Its just a stylistic approach. Bands influenced other bands. That's how music evolves. No one works in a vacuum.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:57

Something that never occurred to me even though I've heard those tunes a thousand times. There is some similarity granted but nothing that screams 'rip off' in fact I know it isn't!
You will always hear things that appear to be ripped off. For instance Rush appeared to rip off Be Bop Deluxe quite a lot , that stop start thing was not originated by Rush. However no one cares about this. Its just a stylistic approach. Bands influenced other bands. That's how music evolves. No one works in a vacuum.

Yeah, but when I heard it the intro sounded exactly like the acoustic intro of Roundabout. I don't really care too much though, I hate ELP so it's not like I'm ever going to listen to them again. LOL
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:23

oh phew, I thought I was the only one.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:52
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

oh phew, I thought I was the only one.

I'm glad I'm not the only one as well. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>