Topic ClosedConcerts you regret attending

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concerts you regret attending
    Posted: April 24 2015 at 14:03
(As suggested by Dark Elf)

Maybe someone was having an off night, is past it, or you got talked into it by someone?  List any concerts you may have been to that you have since regretted attending.

Mine worst concert ever was seeing the Decembrists three or four years ago. My husband got the tickets and talked me into going. I thought I was going to expire from hipster pretension overload.  It was dreadful.  And I couldn't walk out because it was in another city and we only had one car.

Edited by emigre80 - April 24 2015 at 14:04
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 15:39
This is a good one, thread-wise. I saw Petey Gabriel headline with The Fixx and El Flock del Seagulls at San Diego State Univ. back in the early '80s, and it was about my fourth time attending one of his shows. Even with Larry Fast as a member of his band, his prancing about the stage was more than a little annoying. He avoided all of his second album (my favorite [Thank you, Mr. Fripp]), and encored with Biko. And both supporting acts were quite enjoyable to this non-fan. I just felt this tremendous let down as this was the guy who once fronted Genesis!

Edited by Rednight - April 25 2015 at 18:23
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 16:22
My concert night with Judas Priest was a night of hell for me. I made two mistakes, joining in with the partying idiots on the bus to the concert and drinking 6 beers before arriving, and taking two hits of acid. When Priest finally came on, I was starting to feel hungover from the alcohol, and tripping on the acid. The band's volume was intolerable, especially with the substance abuse I was stupid enough to take part in, and I couldn't remember where the bus was, so I just endured the situation, but it was ghastly. I told myself on that night in October of 1982 that I would never do such a dumb thing again, and I have stuck to that.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 17:10
1993: my father took my brothers and I to see U2 in Marseille, in the huge Velodrome stadium. One of the most boring concert I can remember...

2009: German free jazz veteran Peter Brötzmann playing in Poitiers (west of France) with saxophonists Ken Vandermark and Mats Gustafson.
Nothing but a battle of "Proooown! Bwwaaaa! Pweeee!". It became tiresome and boring after the first 15 minutes. Then, Grandpa Brötzmann told his musicians to shut up and let him play alone for five minutes in a less than corteous manner. He did a ten-minutes clarinet solo, still in the same style. The concert ended, Vandermark and Gustafson rushed to the bakcstages, Brötzmann coming alone to the bar.
A charming evening.

2010: I discover Cynic (and French tech-death-metal band Gorod) on stage. Despite the good reputation of the band, I was utterly disappointed: I had the feeling of hearing Pat Metheny with a heavier guitar sound and some loud drums.
Not to mention Gorod, which seem to be in a "SEE OUR AWESOME SKILLS" mode: they played their most brutal and most technical pieces, and I was far from being moved...

Last Autumn, I went to a small venue in order to see the cult French thrash/death-metal band Witches (first a nearly all-woman band, back in 1986!), but I didn't know that they had to cancel their appearance because their guitarist broke both legs... The other "big" band (Psychobolia) also cancelled, having been offered a more interesting gig outside of Paris.
The three remaining bands were... average and not very convicing. I came back without buying any merchandising.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 17:53
Yes/Styx around 2011 - Due to the fact that Yes got overshadowed by Styx and Yes played a very good show in 2010 with more energy and with a son of Wakeman. Geoff Downes and Alan White were really disappointing this tour and the setlist was very predictable. Overall, a mediocre concert and far from the experience I had when I saw them in 2004 with the classic lineup.

Transatlantic in 2014 -  A risk buying a ticket 2 hours away from home without knowing their upcoming album. The Kaleidoscope album is uninspired and loaded with predictable/cringe-worthy Neal Morse melodies all over the place and a pathetic evangelical christian mindset that heavily differed from the attitude (still Christian) they had before. The sheer length of the concert and the overwhelming spirit of 'PROG PROG!!!' was surprisingly a problem for me. Too much of a good thing can bother me I guess. I enjoyed the first hour quite a lot, but by the time they played the last album's title track, I started getting bored. By the time the massive encore hit, my mind was elsewhere and I was pummeled to much with loud, heavy, PROOOGG! music. I then realized the over-the-top PROGGG! music near the end of each epic now appears to become yet another 'I found God' testimony, maybe because of the right-wing opening song about devils and healers (good instrumental stuff there though). Meh

Edited by Zitro - April 24 2015 at 17:56
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 18:32
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 22:55
The Rolling Stones in Philadelphia in the late 80s on tour that was touted as their final farewell tour. I don't think it turned out to be their final tour, though. I can't remember the year. It was a long drive to get there. We were a little late. The sound was awful. You couldn't hear the lows, mids and highs altogether at once in any given spot.

Puddle of Mud concert in Lawton, 2007. A niece asked me to take her. It was crap music only slightly better than Nickelback, which she also liked. I've had tinitis ever since.
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 00:30
McBusted/Backstreet Boys. Because the Backstreet Boys didn't bother performing. Angry
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 18:05
Hi,

A few, but not many.

1. Walked out of Iggy and the Stooges at the Whiskey a Go Go. Had gone to see Babe Ruth and Janita Hahn made Iggy look like an idiot! He's matured some ... but still silly!

2. Rolling Stones. Too loud and out of tune, in Seattle

3. Ozric Tentacles in Portland on a Free Show for something or other. I had warned this band in their website that they should be careful and not allow locals to run a board in concert. Sure enough an idiot was there, and the keyboards were down and out 5 times, Ed's rig went down a couple of times, and typical for Portland that only knows grunge and rock'n'roll, the music sounded horrible. I walked after 45 minutes ... it was one of the worst concerts I have ever seen, and the 4th time I had seen this band!!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 18:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

3. Ozric Tentacles in Portland on a Free Show for something or other. I had warned this band in their website that they should be careful and not allow locals to run a board in concert. Sure enough an idiot was there, and the keyboards were down and out 5 times, Ed's rig went down a couple of times, and typical for Portland that only knows grunge and rock'n'roll, the music sounded horrible. I walked after 45 minutes ... it was one of the worst concerts I have ever seen, and the 4th time I had seen this band!!!!
Then it must be true: prophets go unheard in their own land. Cue the apocalyptic musical accompaniment!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 20:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Then it must be true: prophets go unheard in their own land. Cue the apocalyptic musical accompaniment!

I shouldn't enjoy this so much but I do LOL
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I'm like chocolate that way. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 22:12

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I'm like chocolate that way. Wink
[/QUOTE]

Exactly like chocolate. Except in all material manifestations.Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:49
hmm... can't say I regret anything I've seen.. even the sh*tty ones have had an entertainment value all their own. Walking out in style, getting thrown out or simply passing out...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 18:27
I'm fairly picky about who I go see so I don't have any regrets.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 18:38
Probably I only regret the cost of some of the mediocre concerts I've been to. Eric Clapton on the Pilgrim tour was boring and expensive. We sat in the back and listened to other people's conversations. Likewise my single experience seeing the Rolling Stones.

Then I saw U2 on the Popmart tour - Joe Robbie Stadium, 1997. That one was fun but there was just one hangup -- in spite of having tickets, we almost didn't get in. Pulling up, there's a sign that says, "PARKING $25." We didn't have any money. No bank cards, no cash, nada. The gate guy was a card. Instead of letting us go past (attendance was 42,778 at $25 per car - do the math) he asks us if we have a joint. We did... so if I could do that all over again I probably wouldn't have the joint on me. But I would just turn of the ignition and ask what he thinks I'm supposed to do. Years later, I discover local mogul Wayne Huizenga reaps the stadium parking and commissary at 100%. Highway robbery!
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 10:16
Bon Jovi, New Jersey tour.  Purely because they decided that LOAP should be acoustic, sitting on stools.  NOT ON MY FIRST (and last) GIG GUYS!!!!

Not really regretted though, as the magnificent Dan Reed Network were fabulous in supportThumbs Up
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 10:46
Bon Jovi? You mean the chap who sings like a little girl? Never understood any appeal seen by his fans. I've witnessed as a toddler better garage bands at the fair than Blon Blow-vi.

Edited by Rednight - April 27 2015 at 10:49
windycrawford View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 11:27
Black Sabbath June 1 2014 in Moscow. Unbelievably loud, I mean, to the extremes. And the crowd, you know...
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:04
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Bon Jovi? You mean the chap who sings like a little girl? Never understood any appeal seen by his fans. I've witnessed as a toddler better garage bands at the fair than Blon Blow-vi.

Listen: I was young, I hadn't discovered Genesis.....OuchLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>