Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Circus (Mel Collins 60's band),a must JR addition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCircus (Mel Collins 60's band),a must JR addition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Circus (Mel Collins 60's band),a must JR addition
    Posted: April 25 2015 at 05:12
I came to progarchives to see the ratings and suddenly I was like Dead
mel collins,the legendary saxophonist of golden prog era,launched his first band in 69 called Circus and released a lovely sounding album which is in Jazz Fusion genre.this album is a caress for ears

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Collins

I couldn't find a youtube link though but here's the cover art if you were interested

Edited by katatonia - April 25 2015 at 05:15
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:16
Hmm, interesting. I've had this LP for years, don't listen to it much. Always struck me as a late-60's Proto-Prog album, surprised they aren't included yet. Mel's work is the finest point, actually, I just pulled this out. Sheesus, I haven't spun this for years. Pleasures Of A Lifetime and II B.S. are the pick of the bunch, with their extended Norwegian Wood being pretty decent. I think the fact they covered Monday Monday, turns me off this album (oh how I loathe this song).
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 08:40
There is a thread discussing this band in the Prog Recommendations/Featured Albums forum from January 2006: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17186, and they have been suggested here twice before too: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20260 (March 2006), a thread which  which gave the impression that the band was about to be added - and again in March 2014: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97405, where Dean was the only respondent, and he confirmed that they were more or less cleared for inclusion 9 years ago, but that no one could be arsed to add them. LOL

Edit: The old full album link on YouTube has gone to its final resting place, but here's a few sample tracks from it:

Or you can hear the whole 8-track album as a playlist uploaded by the same user: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OptrxDA06X8&list=PLSfcMCoJF4NcuMJvcdY2GiPp61r_Coxmp. Smile

Edited by yam yam - April 25 2015 at 08:53
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:17
yea.good points guys.I think the reason they covered Monday Monday is cuz some bands do such stuff during their initial albums,as opeth did.but as I saw they were Rejected!!!!it's hard to believe the rejection,this band is really something,Collins was an element of jazz fusion himself in that era,Doug Ferguson of camel left when by the addition of Mel Collins he smelled a Jazz Fusion direction.I think there are plenty of clues though!!plz correct me if I'm wrong
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 03:51
They were suggested in the early days when it was a bit harder to keep track of band suggestions probably. I'll bring it to the team to check out, but it if they were indeed accepted and just forgotten then we can add them I guess.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 07:12
JR/Fusion or Proto-Prog ?? I'm curious.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 07:53
For JR/F.
katatonia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 00:34
loads of thanx guys.yea sure for JR,it would be an excellent addition to any collection
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:39
Well, it looks like I will give my album a spin this eve. It's been too long. Mel is one of the ( if not THE) most prolific sax/flute player in the bizz. His stellar efforts on Rick Wright's first solo venture almost overshadows Rick himself !! It's that good.
Righty-oh. Just wrapped up listening to this - first time in at least 8 years. It is an innocent slab of late-60's Jazz-Rock, with some Pop sensibilities. It's actually better than I recall.
O.K. - even Monday Monday is pleasant enough, though I really don't like this song. The very brief track, Goodnight John Morgan, is such a beautiful little cocktail lounge-jazz ditty, and Norwegian Wood is quite a superb rendition. Pleasures, and II BS are tremendous - worth the album alone, some nice jazzy jamming and psych touches. The remaining tracks are more Pop oriented but actually quite good, Mel's flute soloing in Don't Make Promises, is top-notch.
Well, a mini-review right there.
Oh, and yes - JR/Fusion definitely, not Proto or any other sub.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 27 2015 at 02:45
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 03:38
 Post Reply Post Reply