Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew from Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.
    Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:06
Hi everybody.

I've lurked around here for a bit (years, actually) and thought I'd finally jump in. About me. I'm a real person. I have a day job and a family. I love music. In fact, I listen to music all day, every day. The time has passed when I had a music-related job and played in several bands. My circle of friends drifted apart and I don't get to talk about music too much. At least not with real, live human beings. I like interacting with people who are passionate about their interests, especially the various subgenres of progressive rock. I'm into it all so "prog" is a good word that covers my bases. That's why I'm here. I want to talk about prog.

I'm extra fond of space rock, live music, anything experimental, jazz, psychedelia, wild freakouts, surf rock, steak ranchero from this one place, and the desert. I love Film (capital F). All languages and styles. So many good prog bands commissioned to score them, too! Aside from prog, movie scores are probably my second favorite type of music. I read science fiction, I'm into monsters, and I drink a whole lot of coffee. I stopped avidly collecting stuff and I'm happy about that. I no longer go fishing, but I think about it daily. I like building stuff. 

Hope to see you around! I look forward to hanging out in the forum. This site has always been a good place to go to read about my kind of thing.

Chris
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:12
Welcome.

As I see you're from Raleigh: Have you checked out the releases by Silber Records? While not exactly or always prog, they have a fair amount of artists dabbling in drones, experimental stuff, some psychedelic oriented material and similar stuff that will often be closely related to prog. Curious as that label is situated in your local area :-)
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:32
Hi Chris! Do you do ProgDay? Right in your neck of the woods in Chapel Hill ...

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:34
Chris, welcome to the site and mad props for the OK quip in your signature.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:15
Welcome Chris...or should I say Quasar. A great site as you seem to already know. I also have my fingers in the music industry although not nearly as much as I did 20 years ago. Hope you have more fun now that you've actually moved into the community.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:25
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Indeed! ProgDay rulesClap! We hope to see you there in September. In the meantime, a very warm welcomeBeer!
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 11:58
Thanks for the welcome and all the replies. This is a fun place.

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Welcome.

As I see you're from Raleigh: Have you checked out the releases by Silber Records? While not exactly or always prog, they have a fair amount of artists dabbling in drones, experimental stuff, some psychedelic oriented material and similar stuff that will often be closely related to prog. Curious as that label is situated in your local area :-)

Looking through their roster right now. My wife and I make music, they might like us.

Big smile I do now! We just moved to the area. Now I know where I'll be come September. Thanks! That looks like a beautiful place to be. September is the best weather in NC, IMO. Do they have press to cover it?

I'm curious, does the Raleigh or Wake County area have a prog scene?

Time to kill this pot of Peet's coffee and listen to some music!!

Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 12:41
If ypu're not a stranger to travel and doing things a bit on the spot, there's something called ROSfest going on in Gettyusburg, PA the coming weekend. See www.rosfest.com for details :-)
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 12:59
Originally posted by quasar k quasar k wrote:

Big smile I do now! We just moved to the area. Now I know where I'll be come September. Thanks! That looks like a beautiful place to be. September is the best weather in NC, IMO. Do they have press to cover it?

Here's the ProgDay website, where you can find a lot of info on past festivals, as well as practical tips for attending the next one: http://progday.net/. They are a bit behind schedule with the band announcements this year, but something is definitely going to happen on Labor Day weekend. If you want to read some impressions on the most recent editions of the festival, click on the first link in my signature (Progmistress), and search for "ProgDay".
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 16:13
Originally posted by quasar k quasar k wrote:

Welcome to the forum Chris.  I lived in the Raleigh area for a good number of years while married to the spawn of Satan. Not much of a prog scene per se.  However a lot of bands pass through.

Definitely make it to Progday.  The weather can be brutal, especially if you moved there from cooler climes.  Storeybrook Farms is beautiful but like an oven when the heat and humdity kick in.  However many (like us) are so attached to the festival we come every year.  As much for the people and the regulars that attend as for the music.  It is a definitely a .. oh what does Raff call it.. oh yeah.. small is beautiful.  Small chances of getting 'big names' but man alive the bands they do get (with exception of the occasional neo prog snoozer) are usually hot and happening.  GIving it their best for likely the largest crowds they have played to, or likely to play to. 

The real charm though is meeting the bands, drinking a beer (or 4 or 5) with them and going out to eat with them or socializing at the hotel after the day is over. A small intimate festival. You'll love it.  Like a mini Woodstock, minus the brown acid and young naked chicks.  We just get the obligatory haze of pot smoke and half naked older women LOLLOL

Hope to see you there. First 6 pack is on me!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 16:54
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

If ypu're not a stranger to travel and doing things a bit on the spot, there's something called ROSfest going on in Gettyusburg, PA the coming weekend. See www.rosfest.com for details :-)

In my former life, I did anything within 500 miles on a few hours notice. Now with the wifey and bairn... things is different! I'm happy its what I signed up for. But Gettysburg is great, actually one of my favorite places in the US. I've been there a few times. I'll keep it on the radar for another year.

Quote Here's the ProgDay website, where you can find a lot of info on past festivals, as well as practical tips for attending the next one: http://progday.net/. They are a bit behind schedule with the band announcements this year, but something is definitely going to happen on Labor Day weekend. If you want to read some impressions on the most recent editions of the festival, click on the first link in my signature (Progmistress), and search for "ProgDay".

I'll check out your signature links right now, though the first thing I did when I saw the festival was mentioned was Googled it. And after lunch today, it turns out that the whole fam is going.

No stranger to central NC Labor Day weather, which is why I really like September. July and early August are another story. Sweet lord, THAT'S some heat. I spent 27 years in South Florida, though, so it's a hair better up here at that time.

Quote Definitely make it to Progday.  The weather can be brutal, especially if you moved there from cooler climes.  Storeybrook Farms is beautiful but like an oven when the heat and humdity kick in.  However many (like us) are so attached to the festival we come every year.  As much for the people and the regulars that attend as for the music.  It is a definitely a .. oh what does Raff call it.. oh yeah.. small is beautiful.  Small chances of getting 'big names' but man alive the bands they do get (with exception of the occasional neo prog snoozer) are usually hot and happening.  GIving it their best for likely the largest crowds they have played to, or likely to play to.  

The real charm though is meeting the bands, drinking a beer (or 4 or 5) with them and going out to eat with them or socializing at the hotel after the day is over. A small intimate festival. You'll love it.  Like a mini Woodstock, minus the brown acid and young naked chicks.  We just get the obligatory haze of pot smoke and half naked older women LOLLOL 

That's what the site made it out like, too. Good description. We're excited. Daughter loves music and they'll probably mosey around while I go up front. She said if they want to leave, she'll text and go find something else to do until it's over. I used to do lots of festivals when I was youger, the whole camping-beer-buy-chemical-entertainment-on-the-parking-lot bit. It was fun. Thank god that time of my life was all pre-cell phone camera. Big smile Too old for that crap now! But I'm game for the food court and music any day. This one looks exciting. I like discovering new music, too.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:25
lol. I sort of embellish the Woodstock vibe..a ..bit..

it is a very.. VERY family orientated environment. Lots of families, young children, older children, families. Your daughter will fit right in.  In fact the two real movers and shakers and sort of the faces of it are women, Deb and Helaine.  So yeah, it is like Woodstock, though more of a Disney version of it. Lot of peace and love, flowers balloons and community spirit in the air.

The main organizer, Michael Bennett is a local and is infamous for late bookings announcements.  I think we got a clue yesterday of a majorly popular current band that may be there, but I can say anything.  Even though they don't announce that far in advance, they generally always book really good bands. Interesting bands.  What prog festival has the balls to have a leather clad metal band CLOSE the festival.. and yet have everyone dancing and completely loving it. 

It is an experience. Do try to make it if you can.  Make it once, and you'll be a lifer.

Edited by micky - April 26 2015 at 17:26
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:44
If you're in touch with the Progday folks Micky, have them check out Circuline (New York based band I think) and Autumn Above (from Massachusetts if I recall correctly). For the more experimental side Ben Levin Group might be a good fit. None of them big names obviously, but all of them bands I suspect should go down rather well.
Websites I work with:

My profile on Mixcloud:
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:56
likely too late for this year. I'll definitely mention them to the movers shakers and deciders who decide such things for what good that might do.  Thumbs Up Remember.. I'm just Raff's husband. LOL the ultimate hanger on in prog high society..
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2015 at 01:43
Welcome! Beer
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply