Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmphyrite S/T (1973)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amphyrite S/T (1973)
    Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:16
Floating around YouTube this month I discovered Amphyrite, a French group who left one LP in 1973. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isX-dIxLiVU

The Wayside Music had this to say on their sales page, CD from Garden of Delights:

"The French trio Amphyrite was from Villefranche-sur-Saône, a town close to Lyon. They played an entirely instrumental progressive rock with electric guitar, bass, and drums, which reminds a bit of the early Guru Guru. Their sound, not calm and contemplative like Ash Ra Tempel, is in a constant flickering movement. Their one and only LP "Amphyrite" (Les Disques Le Maintec Bernard KO/750707) was released in 200 copies on a very small label in 1973. Today the LP has a collectors' value of 1000 €. Hans Pokora lists it with the highest possible rating of six units. In 2003, the LP was re-released legally on Amber Soundroom; the 500 copies are sold out since long. The CD here on hand has a substantial booklet in German, English, and French, with an extensive band story, including label repros and photographs of the band."

I love this music and was compelled to share it. It's raw and simple acid rock, and more interesting musically. The drummer is fairly aggressive which carries the pieces well. It sounds like it was recorded with two overhead microphones and reminds me heavily of a band I was once in called Nero. Nero is no more! Neither is Amphyrite. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:18
Here is the cover. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 08:06
Interesting album.....sounds like it should have been done a little earlier than 73...more like 69 or 70... hard edged psych or acid rock. Reminds me at times of T2 , Andromeda, and other proggy blues tinged  rock bands from the early days. Could have done without the drum solo towards the end but a lot of people like those.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:33
Yes! It does remind me of Andromeda. Another gutsy trio, also a little like Suck but of course no vocals. They're really rough around the edges lime German Oak. I thought I sounded earlier but I think I thought that because of the garage quality of the audio.
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:35
Regarding the review from Wayside... Are they hearing the same Ash Ra Tempel? First is hardly calm or contemplative.
 Post Reply Post Reply