Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHackett Genesis Revisited Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [50.00%]
3 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hackett Genesis Revisited Live
    Posted: April 28 2015 at 21:59
So, for some weird reason Steve decided to release two times an album from his Genesis Revisited tour. Since I haven't yet gotten any of them, and do want to get one, which would you say is better? And why?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 08:24
Owning both I think there are good song performances on both---There are moments on Albert Hall that may not sound as relaxed as Hammersmith--(for example; Firth solo sounds better on Hammersmith) -because Royal ALbert Hall was a big deal and nerves may come into it a little but it;s a minor criticism ---if you can't get both check out the set list and see what extra songs you have to own.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:11
Hammersmith because of Steve Rothery's appearance.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:15
Hammersmith is essential.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 22:56
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Owning both I think there are good song performances on both---There are moments on Albert Hall that may not sound as relaxed as Hammersmith--(for example; Firth solo sounds better on Hammersmith) -because Royal ALbert Hall was a big deal and nerves may come into it a little but it;s a minor criticism ---if you can't get both check out the set list and see what extra songs you have to own.

Well, I could have both... but I feel it would be overkilling it, and I would rather spend the money of the second one on some other album... I still got lot's of them I want to get.

And about the set list, well, that's the problem, they are nearly the same. But I'll just give it a try. I can do without Carpet Crawlers. I can definitley do without the Giant Hogweed. I do like Horizons, but if it's not included I don't mind too much (I already have it on Tokyo Tapes, anyway, as well as the original, of course). I guess it would be nice to have the version of I Know what I Like with Ray Wilson. I would definitley like to have the version of Firth of Fifth with John Wetton, since I do have the one on Tokyo Tapes, in which I really like how he sings... but many parts of the performance vary too much from the original, and even though it might be interesting, the original arrangements are just too perfect to be messed around that way. I can do without Ripples. I might do without Fountain of Salmacis, for I don't really like that one so much, but that's one song that I think that with some slight changes of performance it might be fixed for me... I guess it would be a toss of a coin.

On the other way, I can do without Chamber of 32 doors. Suposedly I could do without The Lamia... but though I don't like the original so much, the version on Genesis Revisited II is really wonderful: the new vocals plus the extra guitar solo make all the difference. Shadow of the Hierophant is really wonderful and that one I guess I would miss... even if the versions I have heard on the GR album (and I think on the Rails live album too?) just don't sound as good... Sally Olfield's fragile voice is just charming and not easy to duplicate, and the final section, even though perhaps with a stronger performance and louder guitars and whatever... it just looses it's ominous feel. Blood on the Rooftops I can do without. Entangled I do like too and would miss. Eleventh Earl of Mar I don't really care much about.

Oh well, it the end there are indeed many songs missing between one album and the other. However, it would seem my decission would have to be between Having Firth of Fifth with Wetton on vocals and the possibility of Fountain of Salmacis on a version I might actually like, or having some other version of Shadow of the Hierophant and possibly another version of The Lamia that I might like too (plus having Entangled too). Still not sure which one I might like better... eventually I do might end up getting both.
 Post Reply Post Reply