Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes it make sense to review very old albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does it make sense to review very old albums?
    Posted: April 29 2015 at 01:44
I think we have a fairly good mix of both old and new bands when it comes to reviewing. Sure most newbies start out with their alltime favourites, which often tend to be the classics, but then again that is the freedom you have as a member of PA. You are completely free to review whatever you feel like as long as you do it with gusto and respectfully.
There are so many new prog bands out there at the moment that I seriously ponder whether or not there are fans enough to go round.
I certainly do not agree with your archeology remark; mostly because I still am finding old school gems to add to my collection. If people didn't review these obscurities, I would probably never have gotten my hands on half of my prog collection. If you still can get your hands on a copy, then why not review it? Especially if it's one lf those that has slipped under the radar.

PA is not a promotional vehicle for the up and coming new bands - sure it can be, but in the end it is a lot of things to a lot of people....which is the way it should be.

Last but not least: we have A LOT of members on here who simply do not care for new prog. They come here to talk about the old days, which of course also is completely fine. People are free to use PA in whatever fashion they prefer.

P.S. If a band sounds like Floyd, chances are that reviewers will mention that. Same goes for any other band. I think many of us use wellknown bands as a point of reference. If you don't like that then you should definitely start reviewing some albums to show us how it's really done

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 29 2015 at 01:59
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 07:00
I actually like references to other bands in reviews. Or even individual musician comparisons (e.g. Banksian, Wakemanesque, etc.). I find it very helpful even though it isn't always accurate.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 07:50
Old. New. It's all good. I'm just a small town pizza lawyer.
Oh, it's all perfectly legal.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 08:57
Believe it or not, there are albums from a half a century ago that many of us don't know about.  There are still bands from the 60s and 70s submitted for evaluation.  Reviews give all of the members and visitors here a clue as to what the band or album sounds like.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 09:05
^Not to mention all those obscure 70s albums that already lay dormant inside the vastness of the PA database.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 09:12

I understand your premise... but age is not necessarily the concern. 
There are plenty under-exposed gems from the 70s that could use more reviews 
and there are certainly many 70s classics that suffer from review overkill. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 09:18
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Old. New. It's all good. I'm just a small town pizza lawyer.
Oh, it's all perfectly legal.

LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 09:22
I will say this though; I do prefer reviewers who write about the lesser known albums. I do this myself whenever I review, which isn't a hell of a lot these days. I don't personally need another review of Foxtrot or Relayer. 

- Douglas Adams
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:20
I love when people review old obscure albums I've never heard before. I check the front page of PA like 5-6 times a day. I love to keep up on stuff. If it weren't for these older reviews I would have never heard Il Balletto Di Bronzo, or Bubu Anabelas, or Selling England by the Pound... all some of my favorite 70's albums!

But I also want more modern stuff to be reviewed! :) Wooo!
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:24
It depends on whether we take the commercial or the artistic view of what music is.  If we think that music is really only relevant in the year in which it was produced, then we are simply engaging in a nostalgia trip.

But I remember when I first started listening to music, and realizing that the music from a decade or two before had something to offer me that wasn't on the radio.  And so, for me, Close to the Edge and Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Brain Salad Surgery and Foxtrot were music that was speaking to me as something new and amazing in 1991.

If this forum had been around at that time, I would have engaged with it as music that was currently relevant, the best available to listen to, something that speaks in the present.  I still feel that way.

It's still worth talking about Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue as something other than museum pieces as well.  They have something to say which Taylor Swift is not giving us.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:26

Hi,

Depends on the context. I do not have many reviews here, because I do not like the way they are used. They are hard to locate, and they are not listed behind the album/artist when you pull it. Meaning that if there were 100 reviews, they would be listed below, and they aren't, which kinda helps hide many reviews, some good, some bad ... but it's all a part of the process, and I accept it. As a comparison point, I have over 500 film reviews on foreign and art films. I do not do top ten films. My list of album reviews is over 150.

I think the oldest one I have done is KC's first album.

The rest of my reviews of albums will not be posted here, for lack of appreciation on the thoughts. Some folks here, would rather derail the threads with personal comments (not even jokes!!!) than accentuate and help the thread with an honest disagreement, instead of a dishonest comment on the threads. I'm not looking for fame or attention, I don't need it, but some folks think they are better than others, and like to show off their huge-ness!

Edited by moshkito - April 29 2015 at 10:26
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:31
Bands are continually being reevaluated over time. Albums that were panned or ignored when they were first released suddenly become huge hits decades later (Nick Drake comes to mind as an artist who sold millions of albums 20, 30 or 40 years after his death). Conversely, big-selling rock bands of the 70s, like Foghat and Nazareth, are generally panned today. Tastes change, therefore reviewing older material remains pertinent.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:41
Wait moshkito, the reviews are all there when you click on an album? Im confused haha
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The rest of my reviews of albums will not be posted here, for lack of appreciation on the thoughts. Some folks here, would rather derail the threads with personal comments (not even jokes!!!) than accentuate and help the thread with an honest disagreement, instead of a dishonest comment on the threads. I'm not looking for fame or attention, I don't need it, but some folks think they are better than others, and like to show off their huge-ness!

Congratulations, you have passed the point of making ironic statements and entered into a parallel universe of such bizarre paradox that not even Spock and Captain Kirk would follow you.

P.S. I have emboldened the phrases where your pedrociousness has gone off the moshticity meter.

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 29 2015 at 11:19
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 12:52
As I like to say, good music is good music, no matter when it was produced.  The advantage of the music biz these days is that not only do we have access to plenty of new artists, but also to the music of old artists.  Some of them are well known, such as Yes or Genesis, while others are obscure, such as Asia Minor or Gracious! (the exclamation point is part of the name).  If the music is good, if you like the music, what does it matter when it was made?  And you don't have to like it even if virtually everybody is saying you should.  That is one of the beauties of our era in time.  Almost nothing is lost.  If the latest releases don't interest you, there are older ones that might.  Or vice-versa.  So, yes, emphatically, it makes sense to review very old albums.  People new to Prog can use those reviews to explore and possibly find something they really like as opposed to what they may be expected to like by peers and music execs.  For example, I just posted one from 1976 - Floating World by Jade Warrior.  I gave it five stars.  Everybody should listen to it, but I know not everybody will like it.  That's okay.  I don't care for most of the Prog Metal albums that are so common these days.  And I am fine with that too.  By the way, I am in my mid fifties.  The world of Prog is much wider and diverse than most of us realize.  Fortunately, we have the means to explore that world to our heart's content, and we are not obligated to like or even appreciate everything we hear.  If we don't like the older or newer stuff, that is our prerogative.  We don't have to limit ourselves artificially, and for that I am extremely glad.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:02
It makes sense to review ANY UNREVIEWED album. From my part, I'd be happy if musical journalism (I don't mean PA here, it is definitely better than most other web resources in this regard) shifted to exposing the unexposed from overexposing the exposed.

Edited by Thandrus - April 29 2015 at 13:04
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:34
Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

It makes sense to review ANY UNREVIEWED album. From my part, I'd be happy if musical journalism (I don't mean PA here, it is definitely better than most other web resources in this regard) shifted to exposing the unexposed from overexposing the exposed.

While I agree with what you say here Thandrus, the one important thing that I think you're glossing over is that we, the Prog Archives, have no control over what the users of the site review.  Others have said this earlier in the thread, but I think it bears repearing.  You have people that focus on newer bands but you have just as many who want to review the music that they're most familliar with.  Shoot, I think I reviewed Selling England when I started here, I was probably the 857th review of it, but it was what got me started.  I think if we, as a site, start dictating what our new reviewers can or cannot review, then we're going to drive away any potential new members.

I go with this theory, review what you'd like to review, if you want a specific album to get a bit of pubilcity, write a review yourself.  That's the beauty of this website, everyone has the ability to change it and add to it.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 13:44
Personally I enjoy most reviews, regardless of album age. Quite often there is an unusual view based on either personal taste or reviewer experience/age that reveals a new and interesting angle.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 14:03
Why not give everyone the chance?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2015 at 15:12
I don't know of any music genre that does not entail some backward glancing as a genre must have had a supposed set of catalysts in order for it to be developed and established. Metal would be the easiest example outside of Prog with factions still arguing 45 years after the fact as to who was it's most influential artist, which runs the gambit from Led Zeppelin to Vanilla Fudge to Black Sabbath.

It's simply a part of the music listening experience. Also, as PA reviewer Lazland (Steve) once pointed out to me, it's a great way for budding album reviewers to hone their writing skills by focusing on older and better known albums first. As for my own two cents, I feel that the older albums are the benchmark for Prog excellence and reviewing the former will help one to decide how to review and, very importantly, how to rate the latter.

I personally review albums that are usually overlooked or are on the fringe, but that doesn't mean that older album reviews do not serve an important purpose.

Edited by SteveG - April 29 2015 at 15:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>