Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes it make sense to review very old albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 16:48
It always makes sense to review 'older' albums - they are generally more familiar and understood so useful analyses can be offered, and it also brings to the attention of the younger, more 'modern' orientated crowd the importance of these albums. Nothing is without purpose when it comes to reviews.
kenoalbumreview View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 23:29
I find it really hard to write about older albums. I feel like everything is said that is needed to be said. That's why I try to focus more on newer prog rock bands on my blog, with an occasional shout-out to some older material. I agree, we should give some more love to these newer bands!
Don't forget to check out my rock/metal music blog! Please share with those who will enjoy!
http://kenoalbumreview.wordpress.com
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:22
Absolutely. A lot of gems slip past the radar. Does it make sense to review Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Pepper for the zillionth time? Nope, but not everyone knows Comus First Utterance or Cardiacs The Seaside and those two aren't written about nearly as much. Smile

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

But...I can't get rid of my CDs! I still have 78s in the house!

I still have about 10 78s left over from the '80s. There's this one titled (I think) "Send Me an Angel" by a group that sounded like New Wave Scorpions. As this small cache is buried in the back of my garage somewhere, would anyone please tell me the name of this group?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 10:50
^ I believe the band is called 'Real Life'. My sis has the album called 'Heart Land' - it's produced by Steve Hillage (!!), and not a bad slab of 80's New-Wave. I heard it not long ago. I still prefer Kajagoogoo over them.
gooner666 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 13:19
That is what is so great about prog. There are TONS of stuff that I havent heard yet. Good music is timeless. Why deny music solely on its age?

Edited by gooner666 - May 08 2015 at 13:20
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 14:32
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

But...I can't get rid of my CDs! I still have 78s in the house!

I still have about 10 78s left over from the '80s. There's this one titled (I think) "Send Me an Angel" by a group that sounded like New Wave Scorpions. As this small cache is buried in the back of my garage somewhere, would anyone please tell me the name of this group?

Wow, I had forgotten that song!  "New Wave Scorpions" is not a bad descriptor.  AKA 80s rock.  :)
More heavy prog, please!
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 13:48
I've always felt that because art should be timeless (although there are certain obvious issues with leaving that statement on such a general level), the quality of the music has nothing to do with the age.

...It's like used cars:
"Hey, is your car used or new?"
"New to me!"

Except wear and tear doesn't happen to music unless there is severe overkill (over-reviewing or over-playing. like on mainstream radio). So review whatever the heck you want to review! For older bands I've never heard of I love discovering an older gem and saying, "Dang, that was an awesome moment in music history, even if it was under-publicized." And I like hearing about new bands and thinking to myself "Crap, these guys rule--maybe I'll get a chance to see them live!"

Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 00:39
It's a bit like learning history in school... if you don't review the old (or at least listen to them and form your opinion if you don't feel like writing it down), you'll never be a able to say something sensible about the new stuff you are reviewing. At least not as far as influences in style, technique etc. are concerned. 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 15:10
I'd like to think that proggers would come to trust the opinion of certain reviewers and perhaps buy some of the older prog based on their recommendation.  I've gone back and gave another listen to some of the artists I overlooked in the past due to a well-written review by someone I admire and discovered that I had made a mistake in judging them by one cut that got overplayed on the radio.  My hope is that some young person 50 years from now will read one of my reviews and decide to give one of my favorite bands a fair spin.  Otherwise all that great music is in jeopardy of fading into the ether.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Sunflower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:07
  ... all that great music is in jeopardy of fading into the ether.

Chicapah

That's true, exactly what I'm sure we prog lovers don't want happening. There's a reason its called a classic.
Like any great composer, Stravinsky, etc.
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:16
late to the thread...  but the recent album and artist polls are proof positive that even 'classic' albums are artists are still being discovered on the site.

While I agree whole-heartedly with Raff and other that modern/current artists need the exposure FAR more than these old artists and albums...it is a brutal survival of the fittest for their shares of the listening pie out there. The name of this site is education and information. It is first and foremost a review and database site. Even today people are still learning of the classic man.  You can't make people review and promote the new stuff, so if people want to review the old stuff.. more power to them. They still do serve purpose
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 19:34
Reviewing an old album can make it brand new to certain listeners, or sometimes even to yourself.  That's pretty cool.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 21:15
not as cool as this..LOL I just spent 10 minutes staring into infinity while looking at this....

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 21:20
Is that Dali ?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 21:22
I think so.. I just noticed Brian has it as an avatart...  I was looking up the page at people's post and it hit me..
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 21:55
Interesting topic but i often find myself viewing classic albums in a different way than many others because of the time i spent on a radioactive planet inhabited by hamster squids. I enjoy reading reviews of classic albums as well as new bands. PA rocks! Progressively, of course. Guldbamsen's first comment on here is spot on
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 21:57
Are you wearing a tinfoil helmet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123