Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Green Children (Italy) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Green Children (Italy) for Prog Folk
    Posted: April 29 2015 at 20:05
The Green Children is a female fronted band from Italy. They were released a full lenght album (cd) Awakening on Mellow Records in 1993, re-issued in 1998. The Green Children are Laura Migliore - vocals, Niccolo Guinta - bass, Rinaldo Doro - dulcimer, Celtic harp, bagpipes, hurdy gurdy, tin whistle, violin, piano, keyboards, vocals, Massimo Marina - drums, Claudio Decastelli - guitar, mandolin, twelve-string guitar.

Bandcamp link:

Edited by Komandant Shamal - April 30 2015 at 04:55
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 00:01
Some info about them in Italian in this book (Musica a Torino 1991: rock, pop, jazz, folk).

If anyone would like to translate it for us...Embarrassed

Edit: This isn't in text format, it's just an image - so I couldn't use google translate. Cry

Edited by yam yam - April 30 2015 at 00:22
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 01:12
komandant: There comes a responsibility when you are suggesting this many bands for PA. We tend to look through gaps and whatnot when members just post the odd band for inclusion, but you have really made a lot of these by now.
*Admin hat on* we would like to see you spend more time with each of these suggestions before posting them. That means writing your own bio, providing pictures of the band as well as your own thoughts on why the band should be here.
When you pass on this amount of acts to our teams, it's only natural that you lend a helping hand in the proces
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 04:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

That means writing your own bio,  
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 05:14
This recent attitude of your's is quickly getting old (reminds me of someone though).
If you want to play Svetonio and suggest this many acts for inclusion, then you better be ready to follow the guidelines to the t, and yes we do ask for a bio written by the suggester. In most cases we overlook it, but when members start throwing every bandcamp act at us with a 'prog' sticker attached to it, then we expect them to do their bit.

P.S. The fact that you just laughed in my face, when I tried to explain you something about this system, in a friendly tone no less, doesn't exactly look good. It also makes me very suspicious of you - mostly because you jumped straight to the bit that Svetonio always has had a problem with. Something is fishy about you, but you probably know that eh.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 30 2015 at 05:22
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 05:38
@Guldbamsen, with all due respect, I think that this time you picked the wrong thread for your objections. This is a band with a physical cd officially released on well-know prog label.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 05:43
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

@Guldbamsen, with all due respect, I think that this time you picked the wrong thread for your objections. This is a band with a physical cd officially released on well-know prog label.
You've missed the point of Guldbamsen's post.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 05:45
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Some info about them in Italian in this book (Musica a Torino 1991: rock, pop, jazz, folk).

If anyone would like to translate it for us...Embarrassed

Edit: This isn't in text format, it's just an image - so I couldn't use google translate. Cry
Thank you for the screenshot, I hope that someone will translate it.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 05:48
Hi David,

I think he laughed because this expression you used:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

That means writing your own bio,  

looks like you wanted him to write HIS bio not the band's bio. We know what you meant though. Wink
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 06:00
Thanks AlanBeer

I wasn't objecting against the band but against the way you post your suggestions. We normally don't grill people when they "forget" to add a bio, pictures or a reason as to why they think X band should be on PA, but, again, when members start doing these machinegun suggestions, we tend to follow the guidelines to the letter.
Why? Because we're a small community of people who simply aren't equipped for these kinds of suggestion waves, and we need all the help we can get.

None of us gets paid for what we do. We come here in our spare time. There are folks here who do nothing but work in the wings adding artists and albums, doing eval work - scouring the net for info on some impossibly obscure band. You don't see them in the forum because they simply haven't got the time to visit. I do not think it's because they don't want to be there.

Ever since you and Svetonio joined our board we've seen a demoralising dropout of team members. I personally gather that's down to the amount of work left on their doorstep each and every time they logged onto the site. 

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 06:02
Nahh Bartek, that dog don't hunt.

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 10:56

GREEN CHILDREN
I Green Children si formano agli inizi dell'89. Da subito il Ioro intento è quello di ricercare nuove sonorità, innestando su una base ritmica basso-batteria-chitarra elettrica di impostazione rock la voce femminile e strumenti acustico solitamente utilizzati in ambito folk quali il dulcimer (strumento a corde tipico della zona dei monti Appalacchi, negli States), il tin whistle (flautino diritto in metallo), l'arpa celtica, il mandolino. L'esordio su vinile 6 dell'aprile 1990 con un 45 giri prodotto dall etichetta torinese Drums contenente due inediti, Paper Dream e Green Children. Nel gennaio del '91 il gruppo ha terminato le registrazioni del primo lp. The awakening (Il risveglio - sempre per la torinese Drums) la cui uscita è prevista per marzo '91. La realizzazione del nuovo vinile ha visto l'introduzione nelle sonorità del gruppo del pianoforte e di strumenti acustici quali la ghironda, la cornamusa scozzese ed il violino (tutti suonati da Rinaldo Doro ex Sick Rose). Parallelamente alla formazione elettrica i Green Children stanno inoltre lavorando su un repertorio acustico comprendente anche brani tradizionali da ballo e non dell'area celtica.

Laura MIGLIORE, voce
Rinaldo DORO, dulcimer, pianoforte, arpa celtica, tin whistle
Claudio DECASTELLI, chitarra elettrica, mandolino 12 corda
Niccolò GIUNTA, basso
Massimo MARINA, batteria

Agenzta Band Stand via Bognanco 5. 10152 Torino, tel. 011/323792.4363163, fax 4362995

GREEN CHILDREN
The Green Children were formed at the beginning of 1989. Immediately the intention was to search for new sounds - grafting on a rhythmic bass-drums-guitar rock setting against the female voice and acoustic instruments more usually used in the field of folk - like the dulcimer (stringed instrument typical of the area around ​​the Appalachian mountains in the United States), the tin whistle, the Celtic harp, and the mandolin. The vinyl debut was on 6th April 1990, with a 45 produced by the label 'Turin Drums' containing two new songs, 'Paper Dream' and 'Green Children'. In January '91 the group finished recording the first lp 'The Awakening' (exclusively for the Turin Drums label), the release of which was originally planned for March '91. The recording of the new vinyl saw the introduction of new sounds on top of the more usual piano and acoustic instruments - such as the hurdy-gurdy, the Scottish bagpipe, and violin (all played by Rinaldo Doro, formerly of Sick Rose). Alongside the formation of the 'electric' band, the Green Children were also working on an acoustic repertoire, which included traditional songs and Celtic dance music.

Laura MIGLIORE / vocals
Rinaldo DORO / dulcimer, piano, Celtic harp, tin whistle
Claudio DECASTELLI / electric guitar, mandolin 12 string
Niccolò GIUNTA / bass
Massimo MARINA / drums

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 11:12
^^^^ Thank you again Thumbs Up
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 19:31
A little uneven, sometimes more like pop, sometimes folk rock. But the instrumentation is right for Prog Folk and I think that's the way they lean. I posted this to our list for a formal review; hopefully will have an answer within the week.

Thanks for the recommendation
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 14:57
These guys have been approved for Prog Folk and I'll work on adding them this week.

Thanks!

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 15:34
These guys have been approved and added.  If anyone can find a band photo please forward it to me or post it yourself.

Thanks!

Albert Camus
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2015 at 17:18
^  Might be worth contacting Rinaldo Doro, who seemed to be a major part of the band. He has lots of photos on his facebook page, and might have some of The Green Children stashed away somewhere: https://www.facebook.com/rinaldo.doro. If all else fails, perhaps just use a photo of him on his own? Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 00:29

Many thanks @ClemofNazareth @Yam Yam.

I'm afraid it's not possible to find a pic of that whole band at web in this moment. Only solution in this moment is Yam Yam's proposal.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - May 17 2015 at 00:39
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2015 at 15:22
Okay, thanks for the replies.  I sent him a message so we'll see if he responds.

Albert Camus
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 04:35
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

GREEN CHILDREN
I Green Children si formano agli inizi dell'89. Da subito il Ioro intento è quello di ricercare nuove sonorità, innestando su una base ritmica basso-batteria-chitarra elettrica di impostazione rock la voce femminile e strumenti acustico solitamente utilizzati in ambito folk quali il dulcimer (strumento a corde tipico della zona dei monti Appalacchi, negli States), il tin whistle (flautino diritto in metallo), l'arpa celtica, il mandolino. L'esordio su vinile 6 dell'aprile 1990 con un 45 giri prodotto dall etichetta torinese Drums contenente due inediti, Paper Dream e Green Children. Nel gennaio del '91 il gruppo ha terminato le registrazioni del primo lp. The awakening (Il risveglio - sempre per la torinese Drums) la cui uscita è prevista per marzo '91. La realizzazione del nuovo vinile ha visto l'introduzione nelle sonorità del gruppo del pianoforte e di strumenti acustici quali la ghironda, la cornamusa scozzese ed il violino (tutti suonati da Rinaldo Doro ex Sick Rose). Parallelamente alla formazione elettrica i Green Children stanno inoltre lavorando su un repertorio acustico comprendente anche brani tradizionali da ballo e non dell'area celtica.

Laura MIGLIORE, voce
Rinaldo DORO, dulcimer, pianoforte, arpa celtica, tin whistle
Claudio DECASTELLI, chitarra elettrica, mandolino 12 corda
Niccolò GIUNTA, basso
Massimo MARINA, batteria

Agenzta Band Stand via Bognanco 5. 10152 Torino, tel. 011/323792.4363163, fax 4362995

GREEN CHILDREN
The Green Children were formed at the beginning of 1989. Immediately the intention was to search for new sounds - grafting on a rhythmic bass-drums-guitar rock setting against the female voice and acoustic instruments more usually used in the field of folk - like the dulcimer (stringed instrument typical of the area around ​​the Appalachian mountains in the United States), the tin whistle, the Celtic harp, and the mandolin. The vinyl debut was on 6th April 1990, with a 45 produced by the label 'Turin Drums' containing two new songs, 'Paper Dream' and 'Green Children'. In January '91 the group finished recording the first lp 'The Awakening' (exclusively for the Turin Drums label), the release of which was originally planned for March '91. The recording of the new vinyl saw the introduction of new sounds on top of the more usual piano and acoustic instruments - such as the hurdy-gurdy, the Scottish bagpipe, and violin (all played by Rinaldo Doro, formerly of Sick Rose). Alongside the formation of the 'electric' band, the Green Children were also working on an acoustic repertoire, which included traditional songs and Celtic dance music.

Laura MIGLIORE / vocals
Rinaldo DORO / dulcimer, piano, Celtic harp, tin whistle
Claudio DECASTELLI / electric guitar, mandolin 12 string
Niccolò GIUNTA / bass
Massimo MARINA / drums

Excellent translation
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply