Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArc for symphonic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arc for symphonic
    Posted: April 30 2015 at 10:43
Here's another case where I'm searching our database only to find that another obscure 70's gem has flown under our radar.

Arc is a french band who released their only album in 1980, this might not be the most symphonic band you'll hear because they have other mild directions as well, but still this one fits well among other french symphonic bands like Synopsis and the likes.

I'll just go ahead and take this suggestion directly to the team but I just thought I'll bring this out to the open for others that might be interested.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 15:34
Thanks Sagi!  Approve

Pity all collabs didn't post their findings in the public forums - especially for an obscurity such as this...For one thing it opens up the possibility that a former band member (or friend of) might spot the thread and provide us with background info that wouldn't otherwise have been available.

The YouTube sample of the album uploaded by ProgLine actually contains some misleading info - he states that Jean-Louis Decourchelle was a second keyboardist with the band, whereas on the back of the CD inlay it credits him with 'régie lumières' which I think means that he looked after the lighting...presumably when the band played live (his brother Bertrand took care of recording and mixing duties).

The info I found is as follows:

Arc was a French prog band who released a single album "Maquette" in 1980. Their music is a serious attempt to recreate the dramatic French language and prog music of Ange, Mona Lisa, or Synopsis with great vocals and keyboards. This is a typical French form of rock and is a fantastic addition for lovers of French progressive rock. Five long tracks with impressive swathes of guitar and keyboard. The original LP was pressed only 500 times, and is very rare. A copy was sold in the 90s for more than 500 €.

1977-1980
Serge Ferrand / lead vocals (ex Exhibition / Cascade / Psaume Rouge)
Patrick Loiseau / guitar, backing vocals (ex Troubles)
Jean-Francois Mesuron  / bass, backing vocals
Jean-Louis Besnard / keyboards
Frederic Morice / drums (ex Troubles / Cascade)

Francis Poulet / lead vocals (ex Mona Lisa)
Patrick Loiseau / guitar, backing vocals
Jean-Francois Mesuron / bass, backing vocals
Jean-Louis Besnard / keyboards
Frederic Morice / drums

1. Quand (7:10)
2. Oraison Funebre (6:04)
3. Ami (9:51)
4. Souffle Colore (11:50)
5. Les Cites (10:28)

Recorded and mixed between 5th October 1979 and 30th March 1980, with a CD re-release by Tachika Records, Japan, KO 80.0413 (http://www.discogs.com/ARC-Maquette/master/803073).

Further info:- Serge Ferrand continues to perform solo accompanied by soundtracks. Patrick Loiseau plays today in a sixties covers band The Roaders.  Jean-Louis Besnard continues in the country-blues duo YOYO (and also Solo). Frederic Morice is in a band called X RAY POP.

http://france-heavy-rock.over-blog.com/article-arc-1977-1980-114979648.html. The page contains some decent band pics, but they all have 'FranceHeavyRock' written across them, so their use on our site might not be possible...but there is always

or

Smile

Edit: This band was suggested for inclusion here again on 11th December 2016: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109643.

I have included some further links in this later thread giving info about the record label which was apparently responsible for the album's release (Le Kiosque d'Orphée).

Edited by yam yam - January 01 2017 at 13:58
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 21:46
Sounds a bit cheesy like Mona Lisa wannabes

But IMO is the borderline between Symph and Neo

I voted YES

Iván

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 04:35
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Sounds a bit cheesy like Mona Lisa wannabes

But IMO is the borderline between Symph and Neo

I voted YES

Iván

Agreed, it is another borderline case, but me too am inclined to say YES.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 06:54
I'm am right with you guys. A bit heavy on the fromage, borderline but it does fit.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 08:43
It is a YES vote from me. Arc are Symphonic due to the over emphasis on keyboards and YESish vocals. I like it in a guilty pleasure kind of way.
 Post Reply Post Reply