Topic Closed70s The Who Vs 10cc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which act your prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [76.19%]
10 [23.81%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s The Who Vs 10cc
    Posted: April 30 2015 at 23:59
"70s The Who" means that the voters should forget for a moment that 60s The Who, and also post-Moon era The Who.
Please vote.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:03
The Who, and it is not even close from a galactic perspective. Pick an album, Who's Next or Quadrophenia, and you've obliterated anything 10cc ever released. This is one odd match-up though, Svetty.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:49

I like Who's Next , The Who By Numbers and Quadrophenia than anything by 10CC that I've heard. 10CC were a very clever pop group that made listening to radio a little easier at the time. I am fond of them but The Who are legends.

Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:45
Both great English bands, both very arty, NEVER prog imo... Voted The Who due to "Who's Next" at the first place.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - May 01 2015 at 02:46
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 02:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The Who, and it is not even close from a galactic perspective. Pick an album, Who's Next or Quadrophenia, and you've obliterated anything 10cc ever released. This is one odd match-up though, Svetty.

This.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 03:55

You didn't understood the poll question, Elffy LOL
The poll question is "which act you prefer", not "which band released more worthy albums for the History of 70s Rock" LOL

Edited by Svetonio - May 01 2015 at 04:01
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:07

Seconded.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like Who's Next , The Who By Numbers and Quadrophenia than anything by 10CC that I've heard. 10CC were a very clever pop group that made listening to radio a little easier at the time. I am fond of them but The Who are legends.

This. I like 10cc but I like The Who more.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

This.

This plus one---but not a huge fan of either but Quad is cool.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:33
I like the Who, but I LOVE 10cc... Kevin Godley's voice is possibly the most angelic voice in rock.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:35
Even if The Who By Numbers was the only album they put out in the 70's, 10cc still doesn't come close.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 12:39
The Who by some distance.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 13:50
THE WHO
Progrockdude
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 14:25

For me, Sheet Music and The Original Soundtrack obliterate anything The Who did in the 70s for quality, and were reasonably close in terms of commercial success. Both are perfectly crafted art rock albums and are far more progressive than anything The Who did.

The Who were NEVER classed as a prog band in the 70s - indeed, until punk reared its ugly head, they were the absolute antithesis of prog. 10CC were the definitive art rock band, and art rock was indisputably classed as prog.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 20:24
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

(...)

(...)

The Who were NEVER classed as a prog band in the 70s - indeed, until punk reared its ugly head, they were the absolute antithesis of prog. (...)

Clap
Although The Who were recorded a few proggy songs for Quadrophenia (imo, that's those two instrumentals and Doctor Jimmy) you're right - they were an antithesis of prog in 70s 'till punk hysteria.

Edited by Svetonio - May 01 2015 at 20:28
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 20:33
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Even if The Who By Numbers was the only album they put out in the 70's, 10cc still doesn't come close.
By Numbers is my fav album by The Who. I love all the songs, production, album cover, and also I prefer that Nicky Hopkins' majestical piano work more than Pete Townshend's synths on Quadrophenia.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 20:42
^ I love The Who By Numbers too, but for Nicky Hopkins' piano, you can't beat 'Getting In Tune' from Who's Next. I used to listen to that song on repeat again and again!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 21:12
10cc by an extremely wide margin, the song-writing combinations (Godley/Creme, Gouldman/Stewart, Stewart/Creme and Gouldman/Creme) created some of the most lyrically and musically "smart" Art Rock of that time - the only other Art Rock band who could match or even top them was Sparks. Both those bands were skilled in making that clever artiness (art for art's sake) appear as easily digestible pop music (see: I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor from Deceptive Bends). 

Also, I dislike practically everything The Who did in the 70s compared to their (late) 60s magnificence - in the 70s they stopped being a Pop-Art / Art Rock band and just became another posing Rock band. (IMO)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for future info: Neither are Prog bands so this poll should have been started in General Music Discussions and a PM sent to an Admin requesting it to be moved to the Proto Prog and Prog Related lounge.
What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 02:54
^LOL talk about over egging it

Baba O'Riley is easily one of the best prog tracks I've ever heard and actually the very thing that got me interested in the genre. Quad is a massive album in scope if nothing else and rivals The Wall, pre dating it by a few years I think. The Who By Numbers was a record of a guy writing intensely personal stuff. 'Posing' eh? Really I expect better from you Dean. 10CC were fun but then bringing Sparks into it as wellEmbarrassed
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 04:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^LOL talk about over egging it

Baba O'Riley is easily one of the best prog tracks I've ever heard and actually the very thing that got me interested in the genre. Quad is a massive album in scope if nothing else and rivals The Wall, pre dating it by a few years I think. The Who By Numbers was a record of a guy writing intensely personal stuff. 'Posing' eh? Really I expect better from you Dean. 10CC were fun but then bringing Sparks into it as wellEmbarrassed
How Dare You? Have a different opinion to me by all means but Who Are You telling me what I can and cannot like? Better? I couldn't give a flying fart whether you expect better of me or not, the OP asked for which we prefer and I answered it truthfully. Your reprimand reeks of musical snobbery and I have no time for that kind of elitism, one thing I really enjoy about being me is ignoring peer-pressure to like the same music that the "cool kids" like and I have been enjoying that simple pleasure from an early age. Therefore I prefer 10cc (and Sparks) to everything The Who did in the 1970 including Quadrophenia and Who's Next ... I heard By Numbers once back in the 70s and I simply didn't like it - I couldn't give a crap about how personal it was or how stoned Townshend was or how pissed Moon was - I didn't like it therefore I do not prefer it to anything 10CC did. Similarly I don't care how massive you think Quadrophenia is in scope or whether it pre-dates and/or rivals The Wall and frankly those are completely and utterly irrelevant "observations" - I found it dull and unengaging to my personal tastes therefore I don't prefer it to anything that 10cc did. On balance I probably prefer Sparks to 10cc or The Who because their music and lyrics were more avant-garde and yes, of course 10cc and Sparks were fun, who said that music has to be not-fun? 

Yes, I thought The Who in the 1970s had become just another posing Rock band just like Led Zepp'lin and Bad Company (sorry, I don't either of like them much either). 

You are entitled to dismiss Pop Music and can even look down your nose at those of us who see more in it than the superficial that you apparently do but I don't believe you need to feel embarrassed on my behalf or be disappointed by my inability to achieve your lofty expectations.

As for Baba O'bloody Riley - it is not a Prog track by any stretch of the imagination but just for once rather than explain to you how and why it isn't I throw the floor open to you to explain how and why is... 

Edited by Dean - May 02 2015 at 05:39
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>