Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 06:55
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

I believe you but it's not some special revelation that someone would be flattered by amazement as you probably expected, and i will explain you why. If you said that Roger Dean did do CttE front cover with aerosol car paints, it's ok, why not, but If i say that an aibrush was used at this cover of an album by Smak released in 1980.....

:: insert pointless cover image here ::

.....then everybody can see that effectivelly it's the same thing on that kind of covers ie that "big" difference in used technique is invisible on the final product. 

:: insert pointless cover image here :: 

Ermm

The Close to the Edge cover was not painted with an airbrush. Roger Dean didn't even own an airbrush at that time, his first airbrushed cover was Yessongs. The CttE inner cover was painted using cans of aerosol car enamel paint (See Views by Roger Dean page 105) - he wasn't happy with the final picture and you don't have to look that closely at it to see that the masking and spraying wasn't that great. 
So, you were saying?...
Roger Dean used cans of car enamel paints because he didnt own yet an airbrush at that time as you read or he didn't know yet how to use that instrument on the right way as i speculated [with an aerosol can of paint it couldnt happen that, like airbrush if you dont know to handle well, begin to bleed the paint unevenly and that sh*t, this is the most important thing, cannot be fixed anymore, and all work could be destroyed in a blink of eye] but it doesnt matter actually because of his intention.
His intention was to use aerosol can enamel paint just for an effect - to blending one color to another like a smoke, or as Italians would say, to make sfumato. 
Effectively, it's the same thing if he did it with an airbrush instead of the cans of aerosol enamel paint because the difference of those techniques is invisible at the final product ie CttE album jacket. Thats what i said.

The picture on the inside of the gatefold was painted using cans of aerosol paint - the sky - the lake - the rocks - the waterfalls - the clouds & mist - the islands - all painted using cans of aerosol paint, the fine-detail and outlining was done by over-painting in ink. Got that? He didn't use aerosol cans  for "effect"; he used them to make figurative art - the Octopus cover for Gentle Giant was car enamel, as were the first two Greenslade covers, the Mowtown Scarab and Osibisa Woyaya.

It is harder to do than using an airbrush because the nozzle and the airflow cannot be adjusted nor can they be regulated, it takes great technique and ability to make even the simplest composite images using them. Roger Dean perfected his technique over many years and was exceptionally good at it, however I can tell that CttE inner cover was not painted with an airbrush. If you cannot that does not concern me.

I repeat for the umpteenth time: His first airbrushed artwork was for Yessongs - the floating islands in space ("escape") was car enamel and the rest ("arrival", "awakening", "pathways") were all airbrush, his technique on those paintings shows that he knew how to use the instrument.

For painting "sky", "clouds" and so on, with above mentioned sfumato effect, for young Roger Dean it was easier to do it with aerosol car enamel paints because in that case the jet is already set by manufacturer. With aibrush, it's much more diffucult to do it, because the painter have to control the jet and yet to avoid bleeding of paint what often happen [what knows damn well anyone who ever have been a hobby modeler of small aicrafts that have to be painted in a camouflage colors]. But the aerosol car enamel paint is inferior because you cant use it for small details [and yet on LP jacket sized piece of paper - when you hold an album jacket of Yes done by Roger Dean, it's the real size of an original Roger Dean work on paper - it's not a wall where graffiti artists are painting their big images] and also because the paints cannot be mixed in favor to get a several shades of one color. When you prepare paint for airbrush you can make a hue, and you can painting the details but you must be very, very skillful in that, and you need a time to practice that.
That's why Roger Dean's works from 70s are combination, though magnificent, of aerosol car enamel / guache(s) done with an airbrush (his skies, clouds, haze, etc.) and  watercolors done with "normal" brushes for the small details.
BTW, Roger Dean as a young man was an industrial designer, not a painter. So he designed his floating islands, he didnt "just find" these forms while eg he was painting his visions with oil on canvas as eg Salvador Dali did.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 12:10

For painting "sky", "clouds" and so on, with above mentioned sfumato effect, for young Roger Dean it was easier to do it with aerosol car enamel paints because in that case the jet is already set by manufacturer. With aibrush, it's much more diffucult to do it, because the painter have to control the jet and yet to avoid bleeding of paint what often happen [what knows damn well anyone who ever have been a hobby modeler of small aicrafts that have to be painted in a camouflage colors]. But the aerosol car enamel paint is inferior because you cant use it for small details [and yet on LP jacket sized piece of paper - when you hold an album jacket of Yes done by Roger Dean, it's the real size of an original Roger Dean work on paper - it's not a wall where graffiti artists are painting their big images] and also because the paints cannot be mixed in favor to get a several shades of one color. When you prepare paint for airbrush you can make a hue, and you can painting the details but you must be very, very skillful in that, and you need a time to practice that.
That's why Roger Dean's works from 70s are combination, though magnificent, of aerosol car enamel / guache(s) done with an airbrush (his skies, clouds, haze, etc.) and  watercolors done with "normal" brushes for the small details.
BTW, Roger Dean as a young man was an industrial designer, not a painter. So he designed his floating islands, he didnt "just find" these forms while eg he was painting his visions with oil on canvas as eg Salvador Dali did.

I fail to see the point you are attempting to make here - you have added absolutely nothing to what I have already said. If you want to agree with me then go ahead and agree with me but this is just getting ridiculous now. 

And sorry... your playing with plastic toy models does not qualify you to discuss airbrush and aerosol can painting techniques at the level Roger Dean worked at. From what you have written here there is now little doubt in my mind that you know nothing of either technique other than what you quickly read on the internet today.

Are we finished now? Can we go back to talking about whether there is or ever will be a modern classic prog album?
What?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 20:29
^I think the landscape will have to change. How can there be consensus on what's a classic when everyone (hyperbole alert) is listening to music through ear buds and no one buys stuff. By what social mechanism would something evolve into a classic?
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 20:36
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

^I think the landscape will have to change. How can there be consensus on what's a classic when everyone (hyperbole alert) is listening to music through ear buds and no one buys stuff. By what social mechanism would something evolve into a classic?

Well said--agree 100%. It's a new world out there.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 02:18
Seems to me that for a record to be a classic:
People who  aren't music fans have to be aware of it one (or more) decades after its release.

I don't get the complaints about modern technology. Doesn't stuff like spotify make it easier to track popularity? A real modern classic shall eventually be played by radio stations after it has become popular on free services like spotify.

OK Computer, maybe images and words?
Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 04:43
As 'prog' is a term retrospectively applied to a style of rock music from the early to mid 1970s, then no, there will never be a modern prog classic. The question is paradoxical. Can anyone name an album from the last 30 years that can be regarded as a prog classic in the same sense that 'Close to the Edge' is? I suspect not.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 08:58
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

As 'prog' is a term retrospectively applied to a style of rock music from the early to mid 1970s

If you believe it goes this way, then none of RIO, prog metal or modern prog albums would be 'prog'. For me, this is nothing but superstition. Ther are myriads of albums released after 1977 which are no less 'prog' than CttE (and perhaps even more 'prog' than any Yes album). Univers Zero is enough to mention.

You can view 70's prog as a kind of subgenre (call it, for example, 'classic prog' or so), but it doesn't give you a right to call other prog subgenres not being 'prog'. The very structure of ProgArchives imples that.
This night wounds time.
429diablo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:25
I think the potential is there for a modern classic in prog.  It's just a matter of a band pulling an eclectic variety of influences together into a singular, identifiable sound that transcends genre.  It's a height that most bands never reach, and a status that should not be just given out to anything that comes along.

If a modern classic comes around though, I certainly don't think it's going to sound anything like Yes, Genesis, Camel, Gentle Giant, or even King Crimson and VDGG.  Nor would i want it to necessarily.  But it will change the way people look at the music in general, if it truly is a classic. 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 13:19
Every decade is likely to produce some album that will eventually be considered as a classic, and since Prog is a long-living scene there will be some albums from each decade that will in time be considered classic Prog albums, but they will not be similar to CttE.

I guess that a true classic must have some element of novelty, something that sets it apart from what had already been done and from what its contemporary bands are doing. So modern classics must be coming from modern Prog subgenres, and likely not from retro-Prog.

I guess that albums like The Wall, Script From A Jester's Tear (or perhaps Misplaced Childhood), Images And Words, Hybris, De-Loused or Still Life are already considered "classics" by many Prog fans. So I have no doubt that some albums from the 2000's and the current decade will be considered classics within 15 or 20 years. In a way comparable to CttE? That I do not know...

Edited by Gerinski - May 04 2015 at 13:20
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 20:15
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Every decade is likely to produce some album that will eventually be considered as a classic, and since Prog is a long-living scene there will be some albums from each decade that will in time be considered classic Prog albums, but they will not be similar to CttE.

Ok, I'll take the bait. 

In my mind, classic means that it has to have impact beyond the true believers of the genre. If it doesn't do that, we're just arguing amongst ourselves (which we're doing) about things that in the greater scheme don't really have impact. One could argue, I guess, that greater impact will be gleaned by the unwashed masses at some point in the indeterminate future, but I don't buy it. 

What album raises to the level of "classic" from the 90's and the 00's? From the 90's I think one could make the case that something like OK Computer is a classic. And on this point, we argue mightly whether or not this is even Prog. From the 00's what is your choice? I can't think of any highly rated PA album from the 00's that has had impact beyond our small group. Personally, I know of no one who has ever heard anything released in the last 15 years that was ranked highly on PA, and my guess is outside of our small group, I never will.

The days of thinking our Prog heroes are creating masterworks that will be embraced by a large audience and recognized as "classics" are over.

In the end, does this bother me. Not really. We should enjoy what we have, support the artists who are willing to create something we love, that is well outside the mainstream, and know worry about whether or not we are supporting music that was created for the future.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 09:02
From a different perspective, when was the last "landmark" jazz album? Anyone? How about the last truly great classical composition? Has anyone really made a blues album in the last 30-40 years that stands out from anything accomplished previously?

So why would one think that a "prog-rock" album would suddenly fall from the sky today and eclipse albums like Close to the Edge or Dark Side of the Moon or Thick as a Brick? We are still referring to and revering those albums 40+ years after their release. These were huge hits then and people (not just crusty old farts) are still buying remasters/remixes/new digital technologies of these albums today.

I won't be here 40 years from now (the insurance actuarial tables work against me), but it seems to me music in general and how music is listened to has become so fragmented, so iTune-single-downloadable, that the album format and long compositions are fading fast from public consciousness. It may not seem so on our little prog island, where we stack our CDs in formidable walls like a bastion of lost hope in a sea of musical sputum; but the island is sinking, foundering in a compositional climate change with an inevitability that is evident. To me, at least.

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 05 2015 at 09:03
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 09:14
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

From a different perspective, when was the last "landmark" jazz album? Anyone? How about the last truly great classical composition? Has anyone really made a blues album in the last 30-40 years that stands out from anything accomplished previously?

So why would one think that a "prog-rock" album would suddenly fall from the sky today and eclipse albums like Close to the Edge or Dark Side of the Moon or Thick as a Brick? We are still referring to and revering those albums 40+ years after their release. These were huge hits then and people (not just crusty old farts) are still buying remasters/remixes/new digital technologies of these albums today.

I won't be here 40 years from now (the insurance actuarial tables work against me), but it seems to me music in general and how music is listened to has become so fragmented, so iTune-single-downloadable, that the album format and long compositions are fading fast from public consciousness. It may not seem so on our little prog island, where we stack our CDs in formidable walls like a bastion of lost hope in a sea of musical sputum; but the island is sinking, foundering in a compositional climate change with an inevitability that is evident. To me, at least.

Dark Elf said it much better than I did. I couldn't agree more...
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 10:58
To those of us that were not there to experience the 60s, 70s, or 80s, albums like Deloused in the Comatorium, California by Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's In Glorius Times,  eclipse those very records you guys speak of.

But this is most likely because those speak more closely to me. Those records represent what is going through my head. Those records completely changed music for me. And they are far different from the albums you guys are speaking about, so I believe they could have a similar wave of influence on music in the future.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 11:15
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

To those of us that were not there to experience the 60s, 70s, or 80s, albums like Deloused in the Comatorium, California by Mr Bungle, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's In Glorius Times,  eclipse those very records you guys speak of.

But this is most likely because those speak more closely to me. Those records represent what is going through my head. Those records completely changed music for me. And they are far different from the albums you guys are speaking about, so I believe they could have a similar wave of influence on music in the future.
Ah, no. They may be important to you personally but that does not make them Classic albums per se. 
What?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:10
But maybe Thick As A Brick doesn't mean anything to me and I don't see it as a classic... Dark Side of the Moon? Wish You Were Here? Not classics.

So what you're saying is that my opinion doesn't actually matter and since generally everyone else decides what is a classic album there's no chance that Anything else will ever be a classic because everyone else says so? Haha

Im quite confused here
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:33

But maybe Thick As A Brick doesn't mean anything to me and I don't see it as a classic... Dark Side of the Moon? Wish You Were Here? Not classics.

So what you're saying is that my opinion doesn't actually matter and since generally everyone else decides what is a classic album there's no chance that Anything else will ever be a classic because everyone else says so? Haha

Im quite confused here

So I see. Try Wikipedia for a definition of Classic.
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 13:50

Im quite confused here
Yes, you are confused, and I don't think I can help you with your discombobulation.

Let us forget the fact that the albums that have been bandied about in the last few posts (Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here) all charted in the top ten upon their release in both the UK and the US (so they were publically popular), and that critics in general praised the albums as groundbreaking or special (so they were critically well-received also); instead, let's just stay closer to home amongst rabid prog-heads: all four of the albums are listed in the top ten of Prog-Archives Progressive Rock Top Albums list with ratings of 4.59 or greater (in fact, the top two are CttE and TAAB, WYWH is fourth and DSotM is seventh).

So, there is a consensus among prog fanatics, there was a consensus amongst critics and the normally stupid record-buying public also bought millions of the albums. Granted, naming albums "classics" and "masterpieces" is certainly subjective, but one can use objective data to derive basic criteria that bolsters certain opinions.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 14:06
A classic is an outstanding example of a particular style, something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality. The word can be anadjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of English literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature, design, technology, or other cultural artifacts.

So... basically... 

Deloused in the Comatorium- Brought prog into a modern context and truly brought something new to the table. Used odd key mutations and modal mutations but attached an accessible hook-based context to it while also stretching a little into traditional prog territory. It has a particular quality and could be considered a cultural artifact, as it opened up AN ENTIRE GENERATION to prog rock due to the bands original success with At The Drive-In. In fact, the list of modern bands directly influenced by the Mars Volta are just as great as any other prog band. I have met countless modern musicians that claim this album changed their life and helped change the shape of prog rock for years afterwards. It also brought back the idea of bringing punk energy to prog rock.

Explain to me how that is not classic? Unless... you don't see it as an outstanding example of prog rock? And then... suddenly that would mean that maybe the idea of something being a classic is truly just opinion.

California- Focused in Mr Bungle's usually spastic songwriting into focused songs. Used the most advanced recording technologies available at the time to create an album that has a consistent flow yet stretches over more genres than most bands perform throughout their entire lifetime. Not only did it satirize some of those genres, but it presented them in a light that made them better than most more serious renditions of them. The production is as about as perfect as it could be. This album also helped establish Mr Bungle as the most formidable avant-garde metal-stylized act, and transformed music for many people. In fact, there are countless bands that rip off this sorta thing to this day. Not to mention Mike Patton's influence on the modern vocal performance world.

If you need me to list the bands that are directly influenced by this group, I can do that as well. It is quite long and I'm sure many of my avant-metal friends here would agree. How is that not a modern classic?

Unless of course, the idea of something being a classic has everything to do with opinion. Then, we are all just arguing our specific perspectives and no one older than 50 would be able to consider any modern albums "classic' because they've already made mental associations with what 'classic' is.

And then are we saying something isn't classic because everything prog that is post 1974 is all too derivative of the past to be considered classic? Are we trying to say that because something has a particular production quality that it is not considered timeless?

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's In Glorius Times I could less consider it a classic because it's honestly just too f**king weird for 99.9% of people and I would consider that to be something that is personal for me.

Edited by Smurph - May 05 2015 at 14:06
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 14:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Let us forget the fact that the albums that have been bandied about in the last few posts (Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here) all charted in the top ten upon their release in both the UK and the US (so they were publically popular), and that critics in general praised the albums as groundbreaking or special (so they were critically well-received also); instead, let's just stay closer to home amongst rabid prog-heads: all four of the albums are listed in the top ten of Prog-Archives Progressive Rock Top Albums list with ratings of 4.59 or greater (in fact, the top two are CttE and TAAB, WYWH is fourth and DSotM is seventh).

So, there is a consensus among prog fanatics, there was a consensus amongst critics and the normally stupid record-buying public also bought millions of the albums. Granted, naming albums "classics" and "masterpieces" is certainly subjective, but one can use objective data to derive basic criteria that bolsters certain opinions.

But for anything truly modern to break ground and do something new, it pretty much has to be polarizing in some way so there are going to be dissenting opinions on it.

Oh and also the only people that hated Deloused that were professional critics were like Pitchfork and we all know they are pretty awful. LOL

I don't mean to be argumentative. I just am seriously confused... potentially i'm talking about something that we aren't talking about or I'm not. I don't know anymore. What is life?

Edited by Smurph - May 05 2015 at 14:23
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Well, it seems like IQ's 'The Road of Bones' has become a new classic. I know I think it's an amazing album. Maybe not in a top 10 list, but I have seen it gather a high amount of praise.

For me, it is a real modern classic and one of the best albums ever released (I think the bonus disc is even better than the main one!). I thought it was the best album of 2014 by miles, but then along comes Steve Rothery with Ghosts of Pripyat and throws me completely. For me, these two are exceptional in any era.

In 2015, we have Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase, which is miles better than TRTRTS and again, close to exceptional. And finally, Steve Hackett releases Wolflight, which is another astonishing album (except for the cover art).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>