Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (142)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [18.18%]
2 [18.18%]
1 [9.09%]
6 [54.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (142)
    Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:28
0.720 Aleacion : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GinXWlMBHH4

Mars Everywhere : Industrial Sabotage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDQV1o9p4s

The Middle-Earth Band : The Thoughtful Bride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIEuQee3kdU

Yeti : The Man With the Lamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYEafrHVWpo
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:30

Dusted Reviews

Artist: Yeti

Album: The Man with the Lamp

Label: Little Mafia

Review date: Mar. 20, 2006

This limited-edition, one-sided LP is perhaps the last release from Fort Worth's Yeti, following the unfortunate passing away of keyboardist extraordinaire Doug Ferguson. There are rumors that the band may continue, but for now this beautiful release is a fitting tribute. The small image here doesn't do justice to the psychedelic screenprinting on the B side.

The fact that Yeti's name is rendered in a clear rip-off of the Yes logo will correctly lead you to the conclusion that the band's got its prog on, but thankfully not in any Yes-type way. The single, extended song here moves through several passages, most of them heavy like a truck. The foursome get lost in some stoned-brain jams, then suddenly careen into intricate moves and perfectly synchronized changes, but not in any über-technical "look at us" way. It's all steps in a journey, and when they hit the gas pedal, it's into outer space with a goddamn killer groove.

Ferguson's synths and Mellotron are usually the focus, and as I can attest from jamming with him, he was a master. Whether it's whooshing synths, warbling Mellotron, or keyboards a la ELP, it's stellar work. But this isn't to say that the other three don't pull their weight. Eric Harris' guitar is essential, both in the crunching, heavy fuzz jams and in the Mahavishnu-inspired portions. Tommy Atkins on bass and Jon Teague on drums, like any prog-related rhythm section, have to be precise, and keep the framework together, without getting bogged down into technicalities.

Yeti existed at the nexus of heavy rock (Neurosis, Tarantula Hawk), heavy psych (SubArachnoid Space, Bardo Pond), and new prog (of which there is precious little over which to get excited). Throw in some obvious debts to Sun Ra and fusion Miles Davis, and you have an utterly unique band. It'll be damn hard to find a lead keyboardist like Ferguson if the band does continue, but if they succeed, there'll be a number of us waiting for the results. In the meantime, as this is a limited edition, you'd be wise to move fast.

By Mason Jones

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 13:52
The 0.720 Aleacion album is a hidden gem that gets frequent spins in our home!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:10
yeah man... great album.  discovered amusingly during one of Ivan's late night symphonic death-marches we used to enjoy. LOL Completely by accident as it sure as hell is not symphonic. I listened to them thinking it was another group I was assigned to screening.. loved it however and saw it hadn't been added here so the Folksies approved and they got added.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 14:29
I agree with both of you.  Clap

Mexican Duck? by StarFrostedHeart
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 15:56
^ damn man.. that is one sexy ass duck..  if I wasn't happily married.. I'd hit it
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 16:06
LOL
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 16:17
That 0.720 Aleacion choice is an excellent album, but I'm just too much of a psychead and an industrial person to pass up on that Mars Everywhere release. Brilliant combination of noisy industrial and beautiful, spacey rock and electronics.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 16:41
Thumbs Up a great album, Kelvin. Space fusion ?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 16:58
^ Going into Side Two, it does get some of those elements.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 17:11
Mars Everywhere rule!!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 17:54
So much visitors ! What's happening ? The duck-hunting is opened ? 

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 18:47
All new to me, however, I thought the Yeti band was the same one listed here on PA (I know them). It's not, completely different group. I love this Yeti and that's what I voted for.

I really liked the 0.720 Aleacion and Mars Everywhere as well. One of the better polls.Clap
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 00:53
Thanks very much Darryl Hug

Notes from Discogs about that long Yeti single :

Recorded by YETI in the bunker II: Fort Worth, TX in early 2000 

Promotion info... 
Yeti operated from Halloween 1998 until Easter 2005. In this time we released two albums: Things to Come in 2000 (featuring OHM's Doug Ferguson, who left Earth in 2002, on synths and keys) and Volume-Obliteration-Transcendence in 2004, did 1 1/2 tours, performed at ProgDay 2001, played with countless incredible bands, met and worked with heroes and influences, and celebrated Chaos in all Her forms. This single-sided 12" was originally submitted to be a split 12" with Subarachnoid Space. Hand-numbered and limited to 300.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 02:29

Middle-Earth Band - The Thoughtful Bride

SKU 19-Rok 087
There are a lot of lesser-known albums reissued, but really seldom do you stumble across one that is (a) totally unknown and (b) a total stunner. This is one of those. This Finnish jazz and beyond album was released in 1980. Led by pianist Arto Koskinen, who spent much of the 1970s studying music in India, this album reflects the eastern influence through and through. The album features tamboura, guitar, soprano sax/flute and drums/percussion in addition to the leader's piano, and it will remind you of a whole lot of things (Popol Vuh, Piirpauke, Between, some ECM jazz of the same period), but mostly it will (very quietly) hugely impress you with it's wonderful, understated, trippy vibe and great sounds. Hugely and highly recommended.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 10:02
0.720 Aleacion 0.720 Aleacion album cover

0.720 Aleacion-0.720 Aleacion 
Mexico is famous for it's psych scene of the late 60s into the early 70s, releasing some real classics very late in the day, after psychedelia had faded from much of the rest of the world. While it is lesser known, Mexico also had a very good progressive rock scene in the early to late 80s, after progressive rock had faded from much of the rest of the world! This was always one of my favorites of the releases from that time. It's a sort of semi-acoustic folky prog with nice acoustic guitar work (sometimes giving it a "The Long Hello" quality) mixed with violin, piano, Mexican folk percussion and other folk instruments. 17 short tracks, all filled with a real charm! Every now and then I rediscover this one on the shelf, pull it out to give it a spin and it always wins me over one more time. If you don't know this, it's unique and nice and recommended! 
"0.720 Aleación was a one album group that arose from the dust of the great Mexico City earthquake of 1985. They appear to have been together just to record a self titled album and a latter performed at benefits for the victims. The group consisted of Job Hernandez on bass, Carlos Castro on drums, Abraham Vinas on flute, Carlos Torres on violin, and Eduardo Zamarripa on guitar. The styles were described by the band themselves as a hodgepodge of Canterbury, Krautrock, Spanish, Italian and French prog. The overriding influence comes from, again in the bands words, their indigenous roots. The band left only one recording to us, their magnificent and quite moving self titled album. It is highly recommended as a folk prog album with lots of influences from continental Europe thrown in as well."-progarchives.com [Sol & Deneb]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 15:56

Mike McLatchey30-September-2002Overview

The window on Mars Everywhere that is Industrial Sabotage is actually a small snapshot of the approximately half decade that the group existed in its many formations. Formed in the mid 70s, the group evolved from a two-man electronic live act into a progressive space rock, rotating cast of musicians for their only true album, while leaving enough archival rarities for two 90 minute casettes, both of which were released in the mid 90s.

Industrial Sabotage was one of the gems of the American label Random Radar, a label in its own right maybe the only one in the early 80s still putting out consistent work in various progressive fields. Even for such a diverse catalog, Mars Everywhere were quite iconoclastic, creating an album of improvisational music that married the space rock style with electronics. On one hand Mars Everywhere shared a similar inspiration to groups like Gong, Far East Family Band, and Hawkwind while on the other it was electronic masters like Tangerine Dream or Conrad Schnitzler who provided the influence. Ernie Falcone's change in line up to include drums and bass on a more regular basis altered the sound of the band to bring it closer to the krautrock inspirations of yesteryear. The sound is generally improvisationally based, although the presence of song titles on here that were several years old give witness to an improvisational method with guideposts, an approach that would cause pieces like "Attack of the Giant Squid" to vary from performance to performance. For an early 80s album, Industrial Sabotage seems quite anachronistic, looking back to the early 70s and the dawn of the analog synthesizer for primary inspiration, while not losing a bit of unabashed, groundbreaking experimentation in the process. Perhaps it was the early years of Mars Everywhere that set the stage for the album, what is basically a collection of pieces from various permutations of the line-up (that all include founder Falcone, bassist Greg Yaskovich and multi-instrumentalist Barney Jones), as the move to more rock-oriented song structures did not bring with it any sense of the conventional. There are plenty of effected saxes, wailing guitar solos, scuttling electronics and cosmic space outs to appeal to any fan of psychedelic, experimental rock.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 01:46
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

All new to me, however, I thought the Yeti band was the same one listed here on PA (I know them). It's not, completely different group. I love this Yeti and that's what I voted for.
Darryl, yes it is the same band. I only have their debut Things To Come which is a great album, but I didn't know of this recording, I mean come on how many bands are called Yeti and have the same kind of music? Tongue
So apparently this is from a single which isn't included in the archives, the lineup is also the same.

Anyway I ended up voting for Yeti but these were all excellent Mr. duck! I especially enjoyed Mars Everywhere Thumbs Up
Pierre, If you enjoyed this Yeti video check out their debut on utube, recommended.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 02:37
You're right, Sag. Thanks HugI had not paid attention on Darryl's remark. I have their first album on Cd, but I think that I prefer this later Lp. Damm I really need to buy a turnable ! Wacko
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 02:44
Turntable is a must for the prog fan Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>