Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can you identify "the shape of things to come"?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan you identify "the shape of things to come"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 23:26
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I used to listen to Stone Trek - making it's way KOME and KSJO(?) - but don't remember that track (though it was 30+ years ago). Hadn't thought about that in ages...

Anyway, if you are feeling nostalgic, found a guy streaming old tapes of Stone Trek (plus music he thinks would be played on Stone Trek) at

http://www.progtrek.com/
Stone Trek started my journey in progressive rock between '89 and '91.  But I had no idea it lasted so long!

Edited by infocat - May 07 2015 at 23:27
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 06:23
Has there ever been a better reason for PA to allow 60 sec. mp3 clips to be posted much like the way we can add images? And please do not get me started on copyright crap. 60 sec. not a whole song.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
steveha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2015 at 21:57
I first started listening to Stone Trek in 1980 or 1981.  At some point in the late 80's Stone Trek moved from KOME to KSJO (IIRC) and then later moved back to KOME.  I moved away from Silicon Valley in 1990 so I couldn't listen to Stone Trek anymore but I know that at some point KOME went away and a different radio station took over... IIRC that was KFOX.  Greg Stone kept working for KFOX, as just another DJ.  Eventually, for whatever reason, KFOX started allowing him to do Stone Trek again, and he ran for a while (and I believe it was multiple nights per week!).  And then, sadly, KFOX laid Greg Stone off and that was the end of Stone Trek.  (As I understand it, KFOX is now relying more on computers to play music without human DJs, and just having DJs for a few times during the day, like the morning shows.)

I am not sure what Greg Stone is doing these days.  I wish he could do Stone Trek as some sort of Internet streaming thing or podcast, but I don't know how he could do that and make any money.  (The big recording labels have figured out by now that there is money in the Internet and they are trying to get as much money as possible out of Spotify, Pandora, and everyone.  My guess is that the royalties would wipe out Greg Stone's profits before he made any.  But I wish that wasn't the case; I wish he could just keep on doing his thing and that I could use the Internet to listen to it.)

Greg Stone had a very long run with Stone Trek, and I am personally grateful that he exposed me to progressive rock and jazz fusion.  He had a huge impact on my enjoyment of music, an impact that continues to this day.  I don't only listen to prog and fusion but that's a huge chunk of my music library and I still listen to it pretty much every day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12