Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Side Of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dark Side Of the Moon
    Posted: May 03 2015 at 22:58
Sitting here tonight spinning a bunch of vinyl and I pulled this one out and put it in the "on deck circle", it's up next up. Thumbs Up
I started thinking about the very first time I heard this album, I believe it was 1974 and I was about 10yrs old, over at an uncle's house and he played it. Being that young nothing hit me musically really but the sounds are what caught my ears, spacey and strange is what I remember. I think about a year later I received my first copy and had to play it on my dad's stereo as I did not have my own then Cry.

Most of my memories of playing this album are a few years later when I finally had my own system and headphones, and yes falling asleep many times waking up to the tick-tick-tick of the needle in the run out groove.

I have no idea how many times I have spun this album since 1974, quickly thinking I would have to guess close to 2,000 times in the past 40yrs.

Can you remember specifically your very first time hearing this album in its entirety?
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 23:12
In the womb, 1985 Big smile
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2015 at 23:14
I think the first time I heard it in it's entirety was when I was just on my computer listening to music. I can't remember when I first heard any of the songs though.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 03:27
I bought it in 1979 when I was 15. A boy at school told me that Pink Floyd were a great band. At this time I had never even heard of them. I remember that in a Biology lesson we watched a science programme on the television and the theme music to the programme was part of the intro to 'Time' (the bit just after all of the alarm clocks go off). The boy said,'That's Pink Floyd'. To me it sounded so atmospheric and different, that it made me determined to get the album. I had to go a couple of weeks without eating any lunch as I kept the money that my mother had given me to buy school dinner tickets. When I bought the album for about £3 (from a small record shop in Ludlow), I sat in the dining room at home (strangely this is where we kept our small Pye record player - I wouldn't have my own record player until I had left school and could afford one) and listened to the album all the way through with rapt attention. This was one of those life changing moments for me. It made me realise that there was a different world of music beyond the chart fodder on the radio. It started me on a journey of musical exploration that has been one of the most satisfying avenues in my life. So 'Dark Side of the Moon' was a hugely important album for me. The first listen was something of a milestone in my life.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 08:54
I was living by myself in a studio apt back then in 1973 at college at IU....probably heard it first at my friend Dan's house just down the block from where I lived. We spent a lot of time that year 'smoking' and listening to the albums that came out and of course the earlier ones. I really can't recall any specific memories about that album then but they say if you can recall those days then you weren't having enough fun.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:15
Not sure when I first heard it in entirety but I think it was around 1977 or 1978 (I know I was in Jr. High) when I really got into it as an album.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:17
March 1st 1973. Geek

1st time I heard it played live was October 21st 1972.

Edited by Dean - May 04 2015 at 11:23
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 11:45
Early 90s I guess.  I think my gen and younger probably won't have as much sentimental attachment.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 12:07
This is probably the first prog album, with the exception of Rush, that I got to know really well.  It was the late 1980s  (high school) for me, even though my dad owned a copy from soon after it was released.

Again, probably too late for a sentimental attachment.  Still love Time and Money, Brain Damage and Eclipse.
More heavy prog, please!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 13:22
I don't know that I have any sentimental attachment to the album, other than it's one of those that I have been playing for over half my life, simply because I like the album very much. I don't have any emotional connection to any of the songs.....ie did not name any of my kids after the band, album or songs LOL.

I have many memories of falling asleep to many albums as a teen in my room with headphones on, I do believe its a brilliant album and probably will play it monthly for the rest of my life....Time will tell.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 13:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

March 1st 1973. Geek

1st time I heard it played live was October 21st 1972.

Cool!!! Did they play it live on tour before releasing the album?
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 13:58
it was actually while playing Ratchet & Clank (the original) on the PS2 that i used to have. i usually play albums while actual gameplay takes place. however it wasn't till a couple of weeks (maybe a month?) later that i fully understood the album itself. a f**king masterpiece, ladies and gentlemen, a f**king masterpiece. Big smile
Progrockdude
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 14:35
Heard it first in 1973 (at a friend's house with controlled substances), and from what I recollect it was great from the first listen (much like the Zeppelin, Tull and Yes albums from that era). I didn't need a learning curve or several listens to enjoy it.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 14:59
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

it was actually while playing Ratchet & Clank (the original) on the PS2 that i used to have. i usually play albums while actual gameplay takes place. however it wasn't till a couple of weeks (maybe a month?) later that i fully understood the album itself. a f**king masterpiece, ladies and gentlemen, a f**king masterpiece. Big smile

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loves listening to music while playing video games. LOL The other day I was blasting Pantera 'Cowboys in Hell' while playing Quake II.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 18:16
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Funny, I was playing Ratchet & Clank 2 on the PS2 the first time I listened to The Wall Tongue

I don't recall the first time I listened to DSOTM since the first album I listened from them was the Echoes compilation, that had most of the songs, so when I listened to the full album it hadn't the same impact. I recall the first time I listened to Time though, it was magical Approve The album still sounds great after a few hundred plays Thumbs Up
garfunkel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 19:14
Last year when I found it (I was surprised) in my dad's cassette case, probably late August or early September.  WOW! All I knew at the time was that getting high with DSOTM/Pink Floyd was a thing.  I really thought Pink Floyd was just for stoners!

So yep, I was introduced to prog last year with this video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGLMntx2lPc
I like all things roads and I was watching this video, when From The Beginning plays.  It sounded odd, it was different then regular classic rock I'd heard before, mostly the synthesizer caught me.  I looked up the song and I immediately listened to Trilogy. It sounded great!  I found my dad's DSOTM, Fragile, Best of Alan Parsons Project. Great stuff.  After looking up things on ProgArchives I've found great music.
Gentle Giant, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, VdGG
I love Prog!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 22:34
Originally posted by garfunkel garfunkel wrote:

Last year when I found it (I was surprised) in my dad's cassette case, probably late August or early September.  WOW! All I knew at the time was that getting high with DSOTM/Pink Floyd was a thing.  I really thought Pink Floyd was just for stoners!

So yep, I was introduced to prog last year with this video. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGLMntx2lPc
I like all things roads and I was watching this video, when From The Beginning plays.  It sounded odd, it was different then regular classic rock I'd heard before, mostly the synthesizer caught me.  I looked up the song and I immediately listened to Trilogy. It sounded great!  I found my dad's DSOTM, Fragile, Best of Alan Parsons Project. Great stuff.  After looking up things on ProgArchives I've found great music.
Gentle Giant, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, VdGG
I love Prog!

Nice!! Welcome to PA......It's never to late to start listening to great music, especially the Floyd and Dark Side of the Moon.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 01:49
1992 or 1993
My older brother was often listening to it but it did not click with me instantly like WYWH and Animals did (at that time). Once it did and blew my mind, made me look for more albums from them.
This album (and some other 70s prog and 70s hard rock + some Marillion) chased away my The Doors fanboyism from my late high school times. LOL

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 02:48
In the mid-seventies I heard Floyd at different places. I think one of my older brothers had it back then, but I can't tell if I heard it in its entirety. At school parties Floyd could be heard too.

As an active listener it must have been somewhere in the 1980's or 1990's that I tried out the album. I was disappointed at first, didn't like it as much as Wish You Were Here, but it's now in my top 5 of favorite albums, possibly even my top 3. 
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 20:26
I was 14, listening on the floor of my friend John's bedroom. It was a Saturday afternoon. He's a few years older than me, he and his brothers had some Pink Floyd cassettes and t-shirts. It was like a religion to them, they were shicked and awed that I had never heard anything by Pink Floyd before. The music blew me away, like watching a really good movie. There was nothing else like it in my musical universe at that time.
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>