Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tull's  Minstrel Reissue - The Paris Concert Disc
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTull's Minstrel Reissue - The Paris Concert Disc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tull's Minstrel Reissue - The Paris Concert Disc
    Posted: May 05 2015 at 19:44
Holy moly....

First, this has for decades been one of my absolute favorite Tull albums

This reissue is fantastic - the new tracks are interesting, and the wilson remix is superb, of course, but thats not the thing that has my jaw on the floor

The 1975 Paris concert disc, remasted by Jakko, is unbelievably stunning!  This is the Tull live disc I have craved.  Bursting Out is great, but this is, in my opinion, leaps and bounds better.  The drums are astounding, and having a Jeffrey live album is great.  I have long wanted to hear the band at its peak (well, my opinion), and cursed that live albums from the Thick-Minstrel era did not exist.  I can only fervently hope there are more jewels like this somewhere waiting in the wings...

i'll do a real review at some point, but just had to sing the praises......

Anyone else as jazzed as I am for this live disc?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 16:27
Just got it today but haven't had chance to listen yet. Looking forward to hearing it even more after your enthusiastic post. Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 22:04
I haven't got Minstrel in the Gallery yet, so I think this is the perfect oportunity for getting it. By the way, is the new Passion Play reissue with the Chateau Disaster worth getting really, or might I just go with a cheaper single disc version? (I definitley don't have such a doubt about which version of Minstrel to get, though).
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 01:33

The Passion Play box gets the highest recommendation from me, but there is the usual caveat concerning this particular album; it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

But if you like PP in general, this is one of the best box-sets-deluxe-remix-remaster-reeverything-and-then-somes I've come across.

I find this particular Chateau release to be something special, in that as opposed to previous editions (20-year box, Nightcap version); this seems to be the real and final thing now.

The sequence and flow is different, there are parts added that haven't been released before (starting with the intro, for instance), and some instruments (flute, mainly) that had been added especially for the Nightcap version have been dropped again. A bit of a shock at first, if you're accustomed to those passages. According to the booklet, those parts had been added to the Nightcap version by Anderson because otherwise those sections sounded unfinished, and personally I think that was correct. I miss some of these elements, but they are few and very far between.

Apart from that though, this is the definite version that anyone could wish for and well worth the price.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 16:56
There are no unreleased tracks on this are there?
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 17:09
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

There are no unreleased tracks on this are there?
Not from the studio (all the songs, like "Summerday Sands", were on other compilations). There is the whole 1975 Paris concert -- which sounds incredibly good, better, I think, than Bursting Out -- and some BBC versions of songs ("Aqualung", "Minstrel In The Gallery" and "Cold Wind To Valhalla"), as well as three nice outtakes ("Requiem", "Grace" and "One White Duck") that are a worthwhile listen. Really good remix. You can catch some of it on YouTube.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 17:14
"Anyone else as jazzed as I am for this live disc?" - I AM!!!

Sincerely, I did not expected this live album in the remix. And having a live presentation with that good quality was something really pleasent.

These days I was talking to a friend and commenting about the remixes and this new boxes of JT. One thing is for sure, we are re-discovering a band. I mean, the full Chateau D'Isaster tapes (with great written material explaining a lot of APP universe), the orchestral tracks from War Child plus the script of the movie that never was and now a live album. We're having a chance to study Jethro Tull year by year, album by album!

2016 and 2017 will be even better, I suppose. I am hoping that the TV special for "Too old for..." will be fully remastered and realesed, and for the "Songs From the Wood", the box could came with the Hippodrome presentation! Have you imagined that?

Oh, boy!
 Post Reply Post Reply