FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFive most important purchases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Five most important purchases
    Posted: May 06 2015 at 04:43
Actually got this idea whilst writing out the latest edition of Pick Only One (check it out now if you haven't already). So basically just live five or whatever albums that you consider the most important purchases you've made. The albums that changed your life. 

Mine would be:

- Michael Jackson - Dangerous This album pretty much got me started at a young age with my passion for music. 

- Kiss - Destroyer At the age of 12 this introduced me to rock music and generally harder forms of music. 

- Megadeth - Risk Also at the age of 12, this confirmed that my Kiss purchase wasn't a one-off and pretty much kicked the door for me liking metal, taking up guitar and generally getting serious about music.

- Metallica - And Justice for All Pretty much the same as above. In the height of the Nu Metal trend, this got me into the idea of more complex compositions, dynamics etc. 

- Dream Theater - Images and Words Introduced me properly to Prog music. Demonstrated how you can blend different genres, and how to look "outside the box" when composing. Went from being a "metalhead" to loving music of any genre.

Edited by Valarius - May 06 2015 at 04:47
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 06:47
Bob Dylan - Tell Tale Signs

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon

Neil Young - Harvest Moon

Joni Mitchell - Hejira

probably.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 07:28
Two for me -
Billion Dollar Babies - the first album I ever bought
Genesis Live - the first prog album I ever bought
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 07:33
This sort of list will take some thought........there are so many albums that made a massive impact on me over the years. Probably could pick 5 major purchases for each 'chapter' of my life.
Earliy on, 5 that come to mind immediately are :
CARAVAN - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
DINO VALENTE - S/T
KHAN - Space Shanty
VDGG - Pawn Hearts
PETER HAMMILL - Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night
..................but there's just so many more...........
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 09:52

Very tough choice... as Tom pointed out.....and my list would change weekly. There were so many in those early days that had a huge impact on me. These are still a few of my all time favorites, which I bought when they first came out,  though I could easily list another dozen or so that had the same impact as those I listed.

Beatles- Sgt Pepper
Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed
The Who- Who's Next
Led Zep- 2nd LP
King Crimson- ITCOTCK/... tied with Yes- The Yes Album ...(these 2 really cemented my interest in prog rock even though I had been listening to other proto prog bands before for several years.)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:05
Rush - 2112
Yes - Fragile
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 2
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:38
Pink Floyd - DSotM - Was given to me for my first birthday. Still have the same one today, 29 years later.
Renaissance - Novella - My favourite album from age 7-12.
Gorillaz - Demon Days - Revived my music loving hobby.
Sublime - 40oz. To Freedom - Favourite album of the 90's.
Gentle Giant - Octopus - Current favourite album.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:47
Would have to be a list of albums that got me into their respective genres:

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd - Got me into prog and classic rock

Pink Flag - Wire - Helped me get into punk/post-punk/related beyond the obvious choices

My War - Black Flag - Ensured I could listen to most HC, which also helped me prepare for the extreme metal genres

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco - Convinced me that the indie bands could pull off greatness

The Second Annual Report - Throbbing Gristle - Blew my mind, allowed industrial to really grab me
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 11:38
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - Not my first prog album, but the first that so totally blew me away, never had I heard keyboards played in such on way on that second side epic.

Klaus Schulze - Blackdance - Again, not my first electronic album, but oddly considering it's quite a challenging and difficult album, this was the first Electronic album that clicked with me. Electronic, as well as ambient and drone styles of music are hugely important to me now, I listen to them every single day.

Porcupine Tree - Signify - proof that modern prog was going to be just fine, and not just slavishly remaking the vintage symphonic sounds of old.

Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast - an indie pop/rock/alt.country stunner, when Sweet was still in his wounded angry jerk phase, and he plastered Richard Lloyd and Robert Quine's noisy lead guitar work all over it! Just amazing melodies and harmonies!

The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat - yes really! Some of my friends on here know that I'm also obsessed in girl bands, and this album is pop-music perfection. I now have a nice collection of 50's/60's girl band compilations and related albums, as well as some trashy punky girl one as well that I wouldn't have come to love without this peppy little album!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - May 06 2015 at 11:39
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 12:00
Johnny Cash - American Recordings IV
Cash was the first artist that as a kid (10ish) i feel in love with. I remember watching the television when Hurt came on. Something about how rigid his voice was, the dreariness of the video, and the pounding of the piano at the end made me want to grab the album. Because of the nature of the American Recordings series, many of the songs being covers, not only did this album introduce me to my first "Favorite Artist", but it also got me in the habit of investigating music. 

Rush - Moving Pictures
From what i can remember this was the first proggy album i got into. 
I listened to Tom Sawyer on Rockband and was blown away by the drums. I've never payed attention to musicianship at this level before. So i dove into the band and began my introduction to classic prog. 

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
The album that brought my musical tastes to the contemporary scene. The alt-rock tendencies, musicianship, lyricism and the styles of songs just grabbed me. It was catchy, creative, and really kept my attention.

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
An album that connected with me on an unprecedented level. I'd been listening to varying eras of indie by this time, but listening in the same way as my prog music. The Queen is Dead changed how i listened to a lot of music. The lyricism, the change of pace for the instrumentation, the quirk, was all a new thing for me. Emotion was key here. It is all about timing. 

-------------
For my 5th album i could have picked The Beatles - 1. A nice collection of their pop greatest hits that again focused my listening and emphasized the importance of music on me. BUT to greater represent my current listening i have to go with... 

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
An album i got to hear only because of Prog Archives. I had no idea what Post-Rock or Math-Rock was and i thought the band name was funny. I grabbed this album and was just stunned at what i was listening to. A unique instrumental experience that was both emotional on a level as well as just some loud rock to get me going. This album began my love of both genres and was one of the big explorations that PA began. 

Edited by Horizons - May 06 2015 at 12:01
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 12:43
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
Elvis Costello - Blood and Chocolate
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Keith Jarrett - La Scala

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - May 06 2015 at 15:27
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 05:50
ELP - Emerson Lake and Palmer (this kicked it off for my walk through the prog forest)
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King (It was the logical folllow-up once I was initiated)
Deep Purple - Fireball (It just rocked in so many ways)
Thomas Dolby - The Golden Days of Wireless - (finally some 80's music that didn't make me puke)
Paul McCartney - Ram (it was the one of the first full albums i ever bought, up until then it was just 45's of cool songs)

Edited by JD - June 16 2015 at 17:49
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 05:58
These are not necessarily my absolute favourite albums, but they are responsible for my current infatuation with music:

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Type O Negative - October Rust
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Ravel - Bolero
Michael Jackson - Bad

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 06:15
VdGG - H to He, First time I heard them and was immediately captivated
ELP - BSS, loved this one in my youth
Gong - Camembert Electric, my introduction to all things gong, canturbury, etc
Kevin Ayers - Whatevershebringswesing, because it is epic on every level
Frank Zappa - Grand Wazoo, as this got me started on all things Frank
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 06:19
Crime Of The Century >> my very first album bought (two orthree days after its release in Canada >> there was a shop next to my school and the artwork just told me to go for it, not having heard a minute of it. Every song was written for this schoolboy in a strange anglophone province (Ontario) >> this album helped me tremendously in life, and not just in improving my English >> still in my top 5....in the same frame of thought, Dark Side OTM >> my second album bought (few weeks later) >> needless to say this reinforced my alienation that I'd just discovered  >> still in my top 10 >> these first two albums lead me to TAAB, SEBTP, ITCOTCK, ITLOG&P, etc....

Rainbow Rising >> a direct plunge in intelligent heavy metal (as opposed to Status Quo or UFO). Of course I knew of Zep, Purople and Sabbath; but this one really did me in alongside Sad Wings Of Destiny

Bat Out Of Hell >> if COTC had alienated me at age 11, BOOH made me back intoa "normal teen" (14 at the time), as this was another album specifically written for me. loved that overblown quality >> still in my top 100 >> in the same frame of mind, I might even add London Calling, which struck me hard (its no-future message), but not pernamently

Reflection >> Pentangle's fifth album brought this dude to realize that folk-rock could also be soooo titally cool.

Caravanserai >> I'd bought the first three Santana during the 70's, but this one, I only got in the early 80's, and was responsible for my dive in JR/F... and a few years later in jazz itself (via the CS&MCL's Love Devotion, Surrender >> still in my top 5

Bitches Brew & A Love Supreme, >> both for the plunge in jazz, in which I got (almost) totally out of the rock realm for six or seven years in the late 80's

Let Love Rule, Sex Blood Sugar Magik & Hybris >> A plunge back in rock music from the early 90's onwards

Edited by Sean Trane - June 16 2015 at 06:22
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 06:30
The Smiths - Singles
CMX - Dinosaurus Stereophonicus
Yes - Fragile
R.E.M. - Eponymous
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 06:37
Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

VdGG - H to He, First time I heard them and was immediately captivated

Same here: 8 hours bus ride, cd player, nighttime...listened on repeat for the whole ride. Was just Amazing!   
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2015 at 07:17
Rainbow - Rising - In my early teens, kicked me in the ass and got me interested in music as more than wallpaper, drove me to Sabbath, Zep, Purple, Maiden, Saxon, Priest, Motorhead, etc, etc
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - 1st album I really got obsessed with played on repeat endlessly (my brother and sister consequently hated it at the time)
King Crimson - LTiA - 1st real "WTF" album, no idea music could be made like that and opened my ears to a much broader palette of music
Cheer-Accident - Fear Draws Misfortune / Miriodor - Avanti! - Got these two at the same time and they really kicked off my exploration of all things Avant, different, difficult & started the current obsession with exploring new and old musc. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 12:30
The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Pink Floyd
Got me into alternative music of the 1960s and 1970s.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
If there was an album in ELP's output that debunks the notion that their music was worthless junk, this was it. One of the finest debuts in rock history.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Got me into heavy metal.

Red - King Crimson
I remember listening to some of the tracks and thinking that it could have been made today.

It's A Beautiful Day (vinyl) - It's A Beautiful Day
I heard stories on how Matthew Katz did a subpar remix when he re-released on his label. I found a Columbia copy on vinyl years ago and burned it to my computer recently. Probably the most valuable album in my collection and a fine record to boot.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2015 at 18:15
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat - yes really! Some of my friends on here know that I'm also obsessed in girl bands, and this album is pop-music perfection. I now have a nice collection of 50's/60's girl band compilations and related albums, as well as some trashy punky girl one as well that I wouldn't have come to love without this peppy little album!

I love the Go-Gos!!  Was the first (and probably only) guy at my college in Montana to own 'Beauty and the Beat' when it came out, and I have everything they've ever done including the solo stuff and a handful of bootleg concerts.  IMHO Belinda Carlisle was a seriously underrated singer who would have had a stellar solo career if she'd had better material to work with.  Was out for a run yesterday and had "Kissing Asphalt" and "Unforgiven" on the playlist.  Great tunes!

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>