Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 18:08
I don't any of their stuff after Future Days, is any of it worth looking at?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 18:53
Soon over babaluma (1975) and Unlimited Edition (1976) are very good 
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 19:02
Or if u count Lost Tapes. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 19:32
Definitely many Can albums are worth looking into. I've seen the fairly low majority ratings for albums like `Flow Motion', `Saw Delight' and the self titled 1979 album on here, but those are all very worthwhile albums, full of an amazing variety of ideas. Perhaps I'm a little more forgiving of them because I heard those ones before their classic albums like `Future Days', 'Tago Mago' etc.

But it's easy to understand why there may be a bit of snobbery from more traditional prog fans towards them. I guess to some, Can are too messy, noisy, schizophrenic and `weird'. Meh, their loss!

I actually wonder if the members of Can would hate being associated alongside `prog' bands?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 19:36
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Soon over babaluma (1975) and Unlimited Edition (1976) are very good 

Yep.

Pretyy much anything from Monster Movie to Soon Over Babaluma is essential for Can-heads. Landed has it's moments (mainly Vernal Equinox and Unfinished) but the rest is average at best.

For non studio works, Unlimited Edition, The Lost Tapes, and Box Music is equally as essential as the studio albums IMO. Delay 68 is a fun addition if you are a fan of their early stuff.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 21:42
Saw Delight is an excellent album, for what it's worth. It has the biggie - Animal Waves, Proto-trance and World elements blending together, Kraut-style. Rosko is a very funky bassist, very different from Holger's monstrous groove. Speaking of which, Holger is on fire throughout Vernal Equinox.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2015 at 23:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Saw Delight is an excellent album, for what it's worth. It has the biggie - Animal Waves, Proto-trance and World elements blending together, Kraut-style. Rosko is a very funky bassist, very different from Holger's monstrous groove. Speaking of which, Holger is on fire throughout Vernal Equinox.

Opinions of the later stuff is all over the map - I don't like Landed or Soon After Babaluma very much whereas some people love them. I love Saw Delight and Can (the one with the wrench with "All Gates Open," "Safe," "Sunday Jam," and "EFS No. 99 'Can Can'" being my favorite songs) - Rosko Gee is definitely a huge part of it!
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 00:08
Terrific band, love the Tago - Ege - Future trilogy to pieces.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 02:20
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Opinions of the later stuff is all over the map - I don't like Landed or
Soon After Babaluma very much whereas some people love them. I love Saw Delight and Can (the one with the
wrench with "All Gates Open," "Safe," "Sunday Jam," and "EFS No. 99 'Can
Can'" being my favorite songs) - Rosko Gee is definitely a huge part of
it!
Sodom is up there as well
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 07:47
Can are great. The track that blew my mind on the BBC thing was Mighty Girl - what a tune. It sounds like )they have did themselves) unfinished, but I would like to add the reference Steve Hackett here. What a piece, could be something from him.

My fav pick is Flow Motion. Sweeping orchestral synths, wah guitar a la Graffiti era Page, a superb reggae groove damned if I know what's not to like here. Bit like Saw Delight and other later efforts that are not as highly regarded... why??  Same with Soon Over Babaluma is this one too much of a challenge for the Ege Bamyasi fans who stop around Future Days?

I've quite a lot of bootlegs (audience derision on one) but interesting content on all.

They're not a pop band (disco hit aside - most amusing occurrence -of all things to happen!) but once you click into these guys (guitar fans do please FFS note how good Michael Karoli IS) then their world opens up. For the record I rate Karoli on roughly the same level as Akkerman, Page, Hackett and Gilmour. Miight throw in equivalences to Latimer as well... The things is that Can are not a guitar oriented band but a sonic one (like Pink Floyd without the song structures) so don't be misled by the references . But when he does... oh boy...

Look, one of their most rated albums Tago Mago is actually not one of my favourites (subjectively speaking), Oh well too bad. never mind (it's quite superb just not one of my first picks - it may be yours, great). But if you want or are into something that is not the norm (whatever that is in prog rock) then Can's where you go. Might take a few listens (this is prog) and it might happen who knows when, but it's the sort of thing that when it does, makes you go OMFG...)

Bit like what happened when I finally got into Magma...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 18:16
^ Well said, on ALL counts !!
Quantum Physics is a piece that sounds like nothing else in the world, galaxy.....universe even.
I once sent an e-mail to Holger asking him of this piece - he replied, I printed his response out but buggered if I know where I've stored it. I'll have to go 'digging' amongst my piles of stuff and see if I can find it. It was quite amusing actually.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 17:24
Soon Over Babaluma is my personal Can favourite, hell of an album!
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 20:28
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

I don't any of their stuff after Future Days, is any of it worth looking at?

I think Landed has some good songs on it, haven't really heard much beyond that album though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12