Topic ClosedDiscover Joey Alexander

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discover Joey Alexander
    Posted: May 13 2015 at 05:15

Dear Friends in Music

Please welcome to Your world, Motéma's recording artist, and my Little Big (or my Big Little) friend, the most amazing, 12 years old Indonesian jazz piano prodigy, now residing in the world's jazz capital, New York City -  JOEY ALEXANDER.

Joey has his debut album "My Favorite Things" featuring Larry Grenadier (Stan Getz, Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny), Ulysses Owens Jr. (Kurt Elling, Wynton Marsalis, Christian McBride), Russell Hall (bass), Sammy Miller (drums) and Alphonso Horne (trumpet). Official worldwide release date; May 12, 2015.

If You haven't heard his name by now, please memorize this name: JOEY ALEXANDER. Joey is one of today's most impressive musicians I am aware of.And again, he is only 12 years old (in June), and wow! I feel very honored to know Joey, to be friend with his great parents Danny and Fara, and it was an immense privilege for being able to organe Joey's first ever full performances in the USA, at the Paul Robeson Center For The Arts in Pricneton, NJ on May 4 and  at ShapeShifter Lab in Brooklyn, New York City on May 7 of 2014. ​

If the word “genius” still means anything, it applies to this prodigy.”  "(Joey) plays with breathtaking precocity and mastery of several decades of piano style."  — DownBeat Magazine

“Technically fluent and harmonically astute.”  — The New York Times

“Magnificent not only for the child’s virtuosity - plenty of prodigies have outsized chops - but for the maturity and perception he brought.”  — Jazz Time

"Wynton Marsalis and Herbie Hancock set Joey Alexander on a path to make some serious waves here in the U.S."  — The JazzLine

For all inquiries about the publicity and more, please contact Joey's record label:
(Motéma is NYC based jazz and world music label that has in their roster artists such as Ginger Baker, Arturo O'Farrill, Joe Locke, Charnett Moffett, Eldar Djangirov, Feoff Keezer, Marc Cary, Monty Alexander, Rufus Reid, Randy Weston, Will Calhoun and many others​.)

For all booking worldwide, please contact Joey's booking agency:
IMN - International Music Network www.imnworld.com/artists​
(IMN is a premier jazz and world music booking agency that has in their roster artists such as Wayne Shorter, Joe Lovano, John Scofild, McCoy Tyner, Danilo Perez, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette, Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso, Milton Nascimento, Avishai Cohen, Ladysmth Black Mambazo,Youssou N'Dour  and many others​.)

An extraordinary and uniquely gifted young pianist from Indonesia (born in 2003), Joey Alexander marks his recording debut with the release of *My Favorite Things* (May 12, 2015). Joey brings a delicate, profound and soulful touch to his own interpretation of such classics as My Favorite ThingsGiant Stepsand Over the Rainbow and showcases his talents as an arranger, composer and bandleader. Joey Alexander taught himself to play piano by listening with his father to classic jazz albums. An amateur musician, Alexander’s father soon recognized his son’s gift for jazz, as his technique and ability to grasp complicated musical concepts was beyond someone of his years. Due to the lack of jazz education where he lived, Alexander began attending jam sessions with senior musicians. From there, his musical intuition flourished, as did his love of playing jazz. In recognition of his talent, UNESCO invited Alexander to play solo piano in honor of his jazz idol Herbie Hancock, who provides enthusiastic support to Alexander’s budding career. Through festival appearances and awards for his improvisational brilliance, the world has taken notice of this phenomenal and exciting pianist with the astonishing technique and soulful sound.

For upcoming Joey's performance, please chek his website:

And above all, please get Joey's debut album, Joey is one of a kind.
On Amazon (CD) or iTunes (Digital, including 2 bonus tracks)

MoonJune Records is home for many amazing contemporary Indonesian progressive jazz and fusion artists which I promote gradually since 2007, such as Dewa Budjana, Dwiki Dharmawan, Tohpati, Riza Arshad's simakDialog, Tesla Manaf, I Know You Well Miss Clara, Agam Hamzah & Ligro, and more to come. And I am more than happy to see more and more In donesian musicians in different genres being more and more known around the world, it is an amazing country, full of amazing people and amazingly talented msuciians in all genres,a nd definitely Joey Alexander is possibly one of the Indonesian's greatest talents.
As they say in Indonesia, SUKSES MAS JOEY!

Yours truly
Leonardo/MoonJune

Edited by Svetonio - May 13 2015 at 06:11
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 06:51
Do you own stock in MoonJune records? Wouldn't it suffice to simply put a YouTube video up rather than a wall of text and oversized images? Dude is 12 and can play, great! I'll wait till he's 21, got drunk and got laid to see how he turns out.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 11:16
This should be moved to Get The Word Out ... it's nothing more than an unsolicited Advertisement.

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 21:15
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Do you own stock in MoonJune records? Wouldn't it suffice to simply put a YouTube video up rather than a wall of text and oversized images? Dude is 12 and can play, great! I'll wait till he's 21, got drunk and got laid to see how he turns out.
He plays really great, you no need to wait that he get 21. Everything you need is just to click and hear it. He's a sensation, actually. And it seems that I'm not the only one who think so.  http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4162

Edited by Svetonio - May 13 2015 at 21:36
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 01:19
Ermm I see John knows to file such things under "Press Releases" Wink
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 03:28

Joey Alexander, an 11-Year-Old Jazz Sensation Who Hardly Clears the Piano’s Sightlines

By NATE CHINEN

The cheers rang loud and long for Joey Alexander after he had played his last delicate piano chord in a recent sold-out set at Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola in Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/arts/music/joey-alexander-an-11-year-old-jazz-sensation-who-hardly-clears-the-pianos-sightlines.html?_r=0

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 10:41
Mozart was little more than a carnival sideshow while his father paraded him about when he was young. It wasn't until he became a man and left his father that Mozart wrote his most important works. This kid is being paraded about like a jazz novelty for crowds of zoo-goers come to look at the clever little monkey play tricks. Leave him alone and let him grow up.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply