Topic Closed2015 NFL Season Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

That was frustrating.  As close as the whole game was, you just felt like the Broncos were in complete control, complete with the usual stupid mistakes from the Lions. 
I think that the time has come to jettison Stafford and go back to square one on the quarterback position.  He should be reaching his peak at this point in his career and yet he is still merely average at best.  Fortunately for me, I had no desire to even turn this game on and at 0 and 3 and in Seattle next week, I know that this year is not the year to jump on the bandwagon.

It does seem, now with the gift of 20/20 hindsight we can have, Staff may not have been anything more than a solid QB, lucky to have the greatest physically gifted WR of his era to throw the ball too. It IS crazy to me that given him, plus Golden Tate and all the physical talent and good defense Detroit just never managed to turn the corner. Shame because I was pulling for them always but maybe the Stafford Window has indeed closed. 

I'd say the Steelers could be OK if they run Bell and Williams a ton, still got Brown but yeah Vick is just used up now. Greatly talented team around him, maybe can do fine but who knows if he'll even stay healthy.

Speaking of the Pats, I said this before the season: Pats fans needed to just be quiet. Besides the fact they're coming off a 4th SB win in 13 years, I said that they would pull another 2007...use the whole "us vs the world/we been wronged" thing and run up the score and go for the total kill every week. Sure enough...
And they're schedule doesn't look very scary defensively. 
The Jets have a damn good defense, and some decent weapons, just a volatile QB  Buffalo seems legit but clearly is no match, Miami is a garbage fire. NE has another easy ticket to the AFC title game. 

Edited by JJLehto - September 28 2015 at 14:43
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 17:20

That was frustrating.  As close as the whole game was, you just felt like the Broncos were in complete control, complete with the usual stupid mistakes from the Lions. 
I think that the time has come to jettison Stafford and go back to square one on the quarterback position.  He should be reaching his peak at this point in his career and yet he is still merely average at best.  Fortunately for me, I had no desire to even turn this game on and at 0 and 3 and in Seattle next week, I know that this year is not the year to jump on the bandwagon.

I would usually agree with that, but the offense as a whole is a mess.  Absolutely no run game and Stafford is under constant pressure, due to the fact that our O line is complete garbage.  Couple that with Joe Lombardi being a terribly conservative OC with horrible play calling, and you have the Lions currently.  With guys like Stafford, Johnson, Tate and Abdullah (hell, even Riddick), where the hell are the big plays at?  I don't think they've attempted anything this year for 30+ yards.  Stafford has made mistakes, but it can't all rest on his shoulders.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 17:23

I would usually agree with that, but the offense as a whole is a mess.  Absolutely no run game and Stafford is under constant pressure, due to the fact that our O line is complete garbage.  Couple that with Joe Lombardi being a terribly conservative OC with horrible play calling, and you have the Lions currently.  With guys like Stafford, Johnson, Tate and Abdullah (hell, even Riddick), where the hell are the big plays at?  I don't think they've attempted anything this year for 30+ yards.  Stafford has made mistakes, but it can't all rest on his shoulders.  
How as an OC can you defend running Joique Bell 10 times? Ten rushes 6 friggin' yards. Hey Denver, can you guess what the Lions are going to do on first down? I can! LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 17:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

How as an OC can you defend running Joique Bell 10 times? Ten rushes 6 friggin' yards. Hey Denver, can you guess what the Lions are going to do on first down? I can! LOL

Exactly!  Bell is a great guy and I like him, but he's just not a great RB.  Again, though, that O line needs to be replaced.  Once that gets better, you'll see the entire offense improve.

Edited by MillsLayne - September 28 2015 at 17:38
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 08:01
UGHHH!  What a way to lose and give life to the Ravens.  Thought Vick did not play too bad except for that terrible overthrow on 4th and 1.  That kicker is killing us, 2 big misses in this game and 2 big misses in the Patriots game.

No seemingly great match ups this weekend but some interesting ones.  Curious to see how the Giants do against the Bills.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 08:58

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Exactly!  Bell is a great guy and I like him, but he's just not a great RB.  Again, though, that O line needs to be replaced.  Once that gets better, you'll see the entire offense improve.
I remember a joke a long time ago regarding the Lions' playbook.  It had racial overtones, but essentially the cleaner version was:

RB run left
RB run right
QB throw short
P punt ball

Very simple to memorize.  And still appropriate all these years later.  Makes you long for the Mouse Davis run and shoot era with the guys we have in our line up.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

UGHHH!  What a way to lose and give life to the Ravens.  Thought Vick did not play too bad except for that terrible overthrow on 4th and 1.  That kicker is killing us, 2 big misses in this game and 2 big misses in the Patriots game.

No seemingly great match ups this weekend but some interesting ones.  Curious to see how the Giants do against the Bills.

They should "kick" that guy out right now before the team is out of the playoff picture....
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 22:35
Oh, Josh Scobee...  Proof that a good kicker is very needed still in this league.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 22:51
Finally a TNF game that wasn't awful.

Shame to see my boy Scobee struggle like this. He was obviously on thin ice before this...but this will have sealed his fate. Play calling was fairly suspect there at the end too.

PItt can't wait for Big Ben to return.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 19:31
That said, the Ravens just eeked out a win in a game I'd say they were the worse looking team, against the Vick led Steelers...we can't know, but have to logically assume it would not have been nearly so close if Ben was there. Not sure what is up with Baltimore! 

Was able to catch the Jets/Dolphins game this morning before work. 
I was almost more happy to go into workLOL

Missed the Giants game but glad to see they are now 2-2. With the division in chaos, those first 2 games can really come back to bit them in the ass... But hey, glad they got another W, Eli continues to look good, and they can win without ODB having a monster game. 

I am curious how Green Bay only won 17-3 over SF!?

EDIT: Oh btw

It was also win #101 tying him with Phil Simms for most in Giants historySmile

Edited by JJLehto - October 04 2015 at 22:46
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 23:11
God bless the NFC Least....gives me a slight amount of hope for the Gmen's cause.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 23:13
Also...there seems to be many more sh*t kickers in the league now. I don't mean the extra point change...I just mean FGs in general.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 23:47
I am very glad Dallas lost instantly, dont get me wrong, but since the point of the OT changes were to allow both teams the chance to score...isn't this a bit silly? Makes one helluva finish though. 

Yup, NFC least is ripe for the taking. Giants are decent at best, but with how the rest look (or are injured) this is a great opportunity to rack up easy wins and make the playoffs. Wouldn't mean much, but would feel nice and maybe..saves Coughlin?

Also woo St Louis!

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 00:34
I agree. This semi-sudden death stuff is a little blah. But so it goes I guess. Maybe one day the powers that be will arbitrarily decide that OT needs to be made more exciting and change it to a completely unsudden death scenario.

And true. Gotta get the wins when they are ripe for the taking.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 22:32
Omg lions what are you doing.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 22:32
WOW. What's more unexpected than Detroit being totally in this game? It being a defensive slugfest. I guess it's a combo of great d lines and poor o lines but that was one of the most disruptive games I've seen. If Wilson couldn't scramble I think Seattle would've gotten anything done!

Cool to see the rare defensive battle!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 23:19
Wow, is all I can say.  There should've been a flag at the end of that play now, putting Detroit on the 6 inch line, first and goal.  The refs come through again!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 23:42
I lost out on $25 because of 0.04 points someone got at the very end.  Ouch
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 08:32
Oh Lions.  That was a stomach punch.  Sorry Lions fans.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 17:29
Yeah, I had no idea that was even a rule but the NFL has admitted it should've been a call and I saw even the Seahawk player said it was an illegal bat, so yup, seems it was a non call that could've cost Detroit the game. 
We just can't know, it could've gone out of bounds still, or who knows what, and no guarantee Detroit could've scored from the goal line but yeah wow....Detroit seems to have some rotten luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 23>