Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat made the 70's prog so unique?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What made the 70's prog so unique?
    Posted: May 13 2015 at 22:44
I was thinking about how 70's prog was so unique and great, and even though nowdays there are many great bands doing great albums, they often sound like they are trying to do prog just for the sake of doing prog, just as it has been mentioned around here before. And I believe that's just what makes the 70's stuff pass the test of time. Back then, the now called prog bands, as far as I understand, weren't trying to do prog, nor stick to any set of rules of the genre, they were just trying to do what they wanted, try to break the mold of pop music, though they might actually have been copying some of what the other prog bands were doing, but in the end they weren't really trying to do prog as such. Now, many bands seem to need to stick to the set rules of prog that we know, like long songs, instrumental passages, odd and changing time signatures, etc., and so often those bands sound forced. I guess that's what Wilson meant when he said bands like Flower Kings were the Death of Prog, though he himself seems to have indulged in the same kind of doing prog with The Raven at least (which, anyway, I must admit I really loved). So, what do you think about this?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 22:54
I think the negative connotation with the statement of "doing prog for sake of being prog" is utterly ridiculous. 
It is just like the hatred towards the "hipster" crowd. 

I don't understand what is wrong with intentionally trying to be different. Trying to sound out of the box. Being complex to test yourself and your creativity. Wasn't that the point of the movement in the first place? To set your music apart and "break the mold of pop music"? 

I'm not sure how someone even measures or judges a band's intention of creative motivation by listening to them? 
Oh you can tell they didn't naturally think of this! They must of just sat around and put things together! Preposterous!!!

I can understand when things get congested and convoluted, but i think to label so many bands in a way that trying to be unique is a bad thing seems hypocritical. 

---
Another reason why 70's music, or aged music in general may seem unique is the inevitable sense of nostalgia. It's not a secret that a lot of people on PA lived through the classic era, so to link music with such a great time in your life and with so many kinds of emotions - it hard to not see why. It's not a bad thing. That's the beauty of music, the connection people have with just listening to it. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 23:41
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I think the negative connotation with the statement of "doing prog for sake of being prog" is utterly ridiculous. 
I don't understand what is wrong with intentionally trying to be different.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is referring to doing the genre prog for the sake of doing the genre of prog. As in, playing in the style of Yes for the sake of playing in the style. Creating in the mold that Yes created in breaking the molds of their time, rather than trying to break the molds of today's music.

And I'd have to agree that this is happening nowadays. It's been happening since Neo-prog actually. But there's still great, unique stuff being made these days. If the albums you think are great the past decade were made by Flower Kings, there's your problem.

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Now, many bands seem to need to stick to the set rules of prog that we know, like long songs, instrumental passages, odd and changing time signatures, etc., and so often those bands sound forced.
And this is exactly my point. People who believe that odd and changing time signatures makes them progressive and boundary pushing can congratulate themselves for reaching 1910. Meanwhile the innovation of the original 70s was not theoretical but cultural. They explored the relationship between classical, jazz, and rock. Sometimes folk and other genres. Rock is post-rules already. The way that prog bands are progressive these days are when they explore that relationship taking into account the innovation in each sphere, particularly their own. A lot of prog bands today ignore major strains in rock history like punk and its offshoots, as if they're some kind of b*****d child, when those genres inspired music like Radiohead's for instance which ended up being absorbed back into prog.

Edited by Polymorphia - May 13 2015 at 23:52
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2015 at 23:56
I have two minds on this. I agree that Prog should continue to innovate and not be a caricature of itself. On the other hand, I think the extent to which modern bands are derivative is over-exaggerated. It overlooks a lot of finer points along the way. The extent to which the Flower Kings sound like Genesis is overblown. Yes, Roine Stolt sounds a little like Steve Hackett, but he also sounds a little like Frank Zappa, who is hardly from the same cookie cutter. I have the same two influences. That doesn't make me sound like Roine Stolt. I dislike a lot of Neo-Prog, but it's not really because they sound too much like Symph Prog. It's more because something leaked out of the bucket. I don't like the simple chords, the simple-minded fingerpicking, the bland orchestral timbres that took no little or no effort to create (if they even were created by the musician as opposed to a factory preset.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 00:07
70s Prog could not be "unigue" per se as a whole amount of released prog albums in that decade; it's actually nothing more "unique" than 60s Prog or Prog from current decade.
In fact, there are a number of great progressive rock albums from 70s that sound unique today because they succesfully passed the test of time and become timeless albums.

However, there are also a tons of albums that were released in 70s as prog as well but they sound dated (even re-mastered re-releases couldn't help), nothing unique and un-interesting for today's progheads, with an exception as a collectors items.

Edited by Svetonio - May 14 2015 at 00:15
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 01:26
Totally agree with Wilson saying The Flower Kings will be the death of Prog, there so corny sounding, and yes they do sound very forced. I have to disagree with you on The Raven being much of the same thing. I think The Raven is one of the few modern prog albums that sounds just as natural as prog in the 70's, but still very much it's own thing.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 01:35
Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

Totally agree with Wilson saying The Flower Kings will be the death of Prog, (...)
I strongly disagree with Mr Wilson's statement which was very stupid.
It's for sure one of the most stupid statement by prog musicans ever published LOL
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 03:47
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by justin4950834-2 justin4950834-2 wrote:

Totally agree with Wilson saying The Flower Kings will be the death of Prog, (...)

I strongly disagree with Mr Wilson's statement which was very stupid.
It's for sure one of the most stupid statement by prog musicans ever published LOL

As much as I love the guy and his music, Wilson has come across as a hypocrite every now and then over the years. He's also gone from saying `I want to drag prog rock kicking and screaming into the nineties', then denied being prog at all, then changed his interpretation of it again to suit his ends! Probably won't be the last time.

He also mentions that the Flower Kings will be the death of prog, no doubt because they are very much indebted to the sounds of the Seventies masters, but then he's happy to `embrace' vintage sounds on large parts of both `Grace for Drowning' and `The Raven...', which are blatantly remaking King Crimson. (I do like them though)

We'll give you a pass-mark though, Steven....you're the closest thing we've got to a progressive music icon these days, and generally you always deliver the goods!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 04:10
I agree Michael, but then again it's been years (10?) since he talked like that. Steven has mellowed out over the years and has additionally come to embrace the prog sticker associated with him.

In regards to the OP: it's been a good 45+ years since this offshoot of rock started out. There were more fences to break down. Experimenting with the rock template was something new. It really isn't anymore. That doesn't mean that we don't get our fair share of new exciting rocks bands, but more that the ones today who are breaking new ground often do that by mixing modern styles like trip hop, dance, electronic and indie elements into the music. Sure not everyone who does this can be considered progressive in the same way that Close to the Edge was when it first hit the street, but a band like Chrome Hoof fx is definitely doing something out of the norm and new...and they do it very naturally I find, even if the music at times feels "jumpy" (so does Yes;).

I don't think the real issue is lack of quality music today. It's rather the relatively small number of music fans who are willing to listen to something different. That goes for proggers too, which there aren't a whole lot of anyway.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 04:22
Yes, you might be right, Dave, he's come to be happy with the term meaning aventurous, ambitious music as opposed to what he saw as the negative `Prog' stigma.

Heh, and there's definitely no shortage of `prog-snobs' not willing to embrace all these exciting new mixes of styles, or just new artists in general!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 04:32
There are indeed those who pride themselves with being adventurous music fans, yet what they really mean is that they want music that sounds almost exactly like the one produced between 69-76 - and preferably from the biggies too. None of that crazy foreign stuff!!!!
Then they get what they want and instantly start complaining about plagiarism
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 04:38
I mean, I DO get it...it's like a comfy blanket...that eventually becomes that blanket full of holes falling to pieces, slightly patched up but still kind of the same, if not as good as it used to be, but with traces remaining of that great comfort because of the precious memories it invokes!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 04:54
A complete lack of consideration as to whether anyone would actually buy the album, perhaps.

Now it's mostly about image and sales, though a minority of artists in the mainstream still produce good music.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 07:24
The original question goes back to the context of the late 60s and early 70s that produced the groups and the music of the time.  We all know the story - groups disconnected from their audience as the 70s progressed and by 1976, the great 'simplification' started as prog. lost its appeal and critical acclaim.  This was also compounded by punk and disco.  Nowadays, I see progressive music as being much broader than the 70's template - in short, music that is experimental, edgy, complex etc.  Chrome Hoof, for example, mentioned above, fit that latter category.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 08:12
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Another reason why 70's music, or aged music in general may seem unique is the inevitable sense of nostalgia. It's not a secret that a lot of people on PA lived through the classic era, so to link music with such a great time in your life and with so many kinds of emotions - it hard to not see why. It's not a bad thing. That's the beauty of music, the connection people have with just listening to it. 
As I have said (many times) before, I don't do the nostalgia thing myself, but I think you have touched on something that is perhaps more important and germane: the emotional connection. 

Looking back through purple-tinted spectacles everything takes on a rosier shade than it deserves, we remember the good times more fondly than we should and tend to overlook all that was bad about them. Sure there was some great music back then, but there was a lot of diabolically awful stuff too, just as there is today, but as with all things we have a habit of comparing the best of all that we like with the worse of all that we don't. Memories are like that, and the stronger memories are those that trigger stronger emotions, personally I don't see that as nostalgia, recalling those memories does not invoke sentimental longings or wistful affections, more than it prompts the desire to experience the emotions connected to those memories one more time.

Hearing say, Pink Floyd or Van der Graaf Generator for the first time was an epiphanic discovery and that was indeed an emotional one. I can't relive that by re-playing Echoes or Darkness, for that initial excitement/buzz was a once in a lunchtime event... you cannot experience the same epiphany twice, just as your second and subsequent kisses may have been better than the first (practice makes perfect after all) but they can never be your first kiss, however awkward and/or embarrassing that was. Yet, I can recall the same (or at least similar) wave of emotion of hearing Echoes for the first time when I first heard Porcupine Tree's Russia On Ice or (metaphorically) bouncing around the room on hearing Tonto by Battles seven years ago. Nostalgia for me would be the next piece of newly discovered music that evokes that "first kiss" moment. Those moments are rare, they always were and they always will be. Sure, I can plough through page after page of new music and not get that buzz, but to be honest back in the bad old days the same was also true, I was as indifferent to hearing Genesis or Yes for the first time as I was to hearing Dream Theatre or The Flower Kings.

What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:28
It basically came into its own in the '70s with plenty of wonderful product to back that assertion up.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:32
Prog was unique in the 70s because no one considered it "prog". Yes, Tull, Floyd and Genesis were unique rock bands going beyond the standard musical fare of the day. They were pioneers on the desolate plain of rock music.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:34
Chrome Hoof are a good example of what I am getting at in my previous post. When Greg (Logan) first introduced them to the forum I was blown-away and ordered the album without a second thought. The only difficulty we experienced was deciding where to add them (Eclectic or Crossover) - and that is as it should be for artists that stretch your/our conceptions and preconceptions of what fits into a specific subgenre.

There are many ways of looking at the uniqueness of 1970s Prog and all of them are valid yet none of them are particularly accurate: You can take the global view that as a musical genre it was unique amongst its peers, and to some extent it was but there were other musical genres back then that were pushing against the same boundaries that had existed since the dawn of popular music - some of those other genres we have since incorporated into the Prog family but back then they were seen as separate; You can take a historical perspective that it was music of its age and that period in history was unique in itself, but that age has passed yet music continues to be made in the same subgenres, in the same styles and with the same philosophy and/or approach; And you can take the micro-scale view that each band of that era was unique and unlike any other yet this also was not true either as even then bands were being criticised for sounding alike and bands were doubly criticised for making albums that sounded like their previous releases.

The thing is, everything everyone says is true (well... not everyone perhaps). Prog is all the things that everyone says it is but it is not solely what they say it is... it is an amorphous blob of a genre that has sprawled across the musical landscape like an amorphic blobby thing is prone to do. This is why defining what is and what is not Prog is like nailing a jelly fish to a the side of a boat. We often read that a band has "broke the mold", "pushed the envelope", "thrown out the rules", that they are "initiative", "experimental", "genre-breaking" and... erm... "progressive"... yet that alone doth not maketh them Progressive Rock - all good bands do this, it's what keeps music current and active. Without that every band would be a Bill Hayley & the Comets tribute band would it not? 

Edited by Dean - May 14 2015 at 09:38
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:36
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Prog was unique in the 70s because no one considered it "prog". Yes, Tull, Floyd and Genesis were unique rock bands going beyond the standard musical fare of the day. They were pioneers on the desolate plain of rock music.
That may be true in the USA but it wasn't strictly true in other parts of the world. While still at school in the early 1970s we called all those bands "prog" in the English home counties. 
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That may be true in the USA but it wasn't strictly true in other parts of the world. While still at school in the early 1970s we called all those bands "prog" in the English home counties. 
That may be true, Dean, but from my experience one would listen to Ziggy Stardust right after Aqualung, Quadrophenia, Exile on Main Street, Close to the Edge, Eat a Peach and Physical Graffiti. Great rock was great rock. I don't recall the delineation that occurred afterward where everything was pigeonholed into nice, neat boxes. If you could get tickets to Floyd, Bowie, Tull and Deep Purple, you were having a great year, musically speaking.

Certainly, that is my experience, and I've heard others voice the same sentiment.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>