Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat made the 70's prog so unique?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was thinking about how 70's prog was so unique and great, and even though nowdays there are many great bands doing great albums, they often sound like they are trying to do prog just for the sake of doing prog, just as it has been mentioned around here before. And I believe that's just what makes the 70's stuff pass the test of time. Back then, the now called prog bands, as far as I understand, weren't trying to do prog, nor stick to any set of rules of the genre, they were just trying to do what they wanted, try to break the mold of pop music, though they might actually have been copying some of what the other prog bands were doing, but in the end they weren't really trying to do prog as such. Now, many bands seem to need to stick to the set rules of prog that we know, like long songs, instrumental passages, odd and changing time signatures, etc., and so often those bands sound forced. I guess that's what Wilson meant when he said bands like Flower Kings were the Death of Prog, though he himself seems to have indulged in the same kind of doing prog with The Raven at least (which, anyway, I must admit I really loved). So, what do you think about this?

I agree with most of what you said. As Steve Hackett once mentioned in an interview "We were not trying to write progressive music, we were just trying to write the best music we could at the time". Since there were not molds at the time, every band went their own way, which is not happening these days with the prog community.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 09:50
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Prog was unique in the 70s because no one considered it "prog". Yes, Tull, Floyd and Genesis were unique rock bands going beyond the standard musical fare of the day. They were pioneers on the desolate plain of rock music.
That may be true in the USA but it wasn't strictly true in other parts of the world. While still at school in the early 1970s we called all those bands "prog" in the English home counties. 
That may be true, Dean, but from my experience one would listen to Ziggy Stardust right after Aqualung, Quadrophenia, Exile on Main Street, Close to the Edge, Eat a Peach and Physical Graffiti. Great rock was great rock. I don't recall the delineation that occurred afterward where everything was pigeonholed into nice, neat boxes. If you could get tickets to Floyd, Bowie, Tull and Deep Purple, you were having a great year, musically speaking.

Certainly, that is my experience, and I've heard others voice the same sentiment.
In the school I attended the demarcation lines were more clearly drawn (across the playground mainly) - a "Prog" fan would not be seen dead with a Led Zepp or Stones album and while Bowie was tolerated for Hunky Dory and The Man Who Sold The World, Ziggy was strictly Glam and thus shunned. While I didn't hold with such tribalism in private, I kept my copy of Electric Warrior well hidden in public. Wink
What?
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 10:00
First of all, I love contemporary prog. I always try to dig new releases to propagate them and make them more known to others. And I think there are some great releases around recently. That said, Dellinger, I somewhat see your point. There seems to be a kind of 'spirit' in the prog of the 70's that contemporary music often lack. Recently I heard on a prog radio a great song from a band I have never heard of (Morpheus), I googled them and... dang! The track appeared to be from the 70's. So I think it is legitimate to ask the question, what makes this kind of music from this time so special? My 5 cent on this would be, indeed, the bands of that time did not want to follow a genre, because it did not exist, yet. They wanted to cross the boundaries of all previous rock and pop. They wanted to add some daring sounds, melodies, rhythms etc. that at that time could only be found in classical music or non-european ('world') music. All of the sudden nearly all rock musicians at that time wanted to do it, even in the main stream. It was somehow 'in the air' and spread throughout the world like a wave. Those bands founded something that will be later called 'progressive rock', although they were not aware of it. They were many (even though not very commercially successfull at that time), and in this creative  environment everyone wanted to be better and more daring than the others. Maybe it explains a bit of the 'spirit'. Nowadays the 'genre' exists already, and bands playing in this genre are not influential at all in the artistic field anymore. They play in a musical niche for a relatively small amount of people. Of course, they play what they want, and you have to give them credit for not wanting 'to make money fast', but what seems to lack today is the artistic fruitful environment of that time.

On a side note, I do not have nostalgic feelings for the 70's because it was before my time. I discovered 70's prog mainly in the 80's and 90's. When I first fell in love (speeking of first kiss) I was listening to German New Wave (Neue Deutsche Welle). So when I adore 70's prog, it has obviously nothing to do with nostalgia (which is also a good track from the band Ananke).

Edited by Formentera Lady - May 14 2015 at 10:27
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 10:47
The question posted: What made the '70s prog so unique?

My thought: It is unique because at the time no one had ever heard anything like it. Everything was bubblegum, crooners, C&W, or early rock. Even the Beatles (until late in their career) and the Rolling Stones embraced standard song structures.
Then all of a sudden come Frank Zappa, The Moody Blues, The Pink Floyd, King Crimson et al and it was like, "Holy crap! What the hell is this????" I remember edging into prog, first through Spirit, then Jethro Tull and then the real breakthrough -- I traded Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy," even though I loved "No Quarter," to my buddy for his copy of "Court of the Crimson King". That changed my musical life forever. I remember walking home after the trade thinking how badly I'd just ripped off my friend.

PROGMATIC
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:05

Chrome Hoof are a good example of what I am getting at in my previous post. When Greg (Logan) first introduced them to the forum I was blown-away and ordered the album without a second thought. The only difficulty we experienced was deciding where to add them (Eclectic or Crossover) - and that is as it should be for artists that stretch your/our conceptions and preconceptions of what fits into a specific subgenre.

There are many ways of looking at the uniqueness of 1970s Prog and all of them are valid yet none of them are particularly accurate: You can take the global view that as a musical genre it was unique amongst its peers, and to some extent it was but there were other musical genres back then that were pushing against the same boundaries that had existed since the dawn of popular music - some of those other genres we have since incorporated into the Prog family but back then they were seen as separate; You can take a historical perspective that it was music of its age and that period in history was unique in itself, but that age has passed yet music continues to be made in the same subgenres, in the same styles and with the same philosophy and/or approach; And you can take the micro-scale view that each band of that era was unique and unlike any other yet this also was not true either as even then bands were being criticised for sounding alike and bands were doubly criticised for making albums that sounded like their previous releases.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">The thing is, everything everyone says is true (well... not everyone perhaps). Prog is all the things that everyone says it is but it is not solely what they say it is... it is an amorphous blob of a genre that has sprawled across the musical landscape like an amorphic blobby thing is prone to do. This is why defining what is and what is not Prog is like nailing a jelly fish to a the side of a boat. We often read that a band has "broke the mold", "pushed the envelope", "thrown out the rules", that they are "initiative", "experimental", "genre-breaking" and... erm... "progressive"... yet that alone doth not maketh them Progressive Rock - all good bands do this, it's what keeps music current and active. Without that every band would be a Bill Hayley & the Comets tribute band would it not? </span>

This hits the mark for me.

Or, should I say; nails the jelly fish to the boat?

Edited by HackettFan - May 14 2015 at 11:09
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:08
I am probably going to sound like Surrealist for saying this but what is unique about 70s prog is basically what is also unique about some other music from other genres like, well, other rock music and R&B from that period - a combination of heightened ambition and a warm, organic approach to performing and recording the music. Basically this was the last period in which it happened in rock (this approach was probably there in rock from the mid 60s). Ambition was frowned upon in the 80s. When ambition made a comeback in the 90s, recordings had already gotten more polished with a fetish for erasing mistakes. This may explain why Wilson actually went back somewhat to a 70s approach for Grace and Raven. I am not saying the 70s approach is necessarily better but the kind of prog fan who regards the 70s as special is probably looking for that combination of ambition and warmth. It's not as if there aren't adventurous prog albums even from the 80s but the effect is different.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:23
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

First of all, I love contemporary prog. I always try to dig new releases to propagate them and make them more known to others. And I think there are some great releases around recently. That said, Dellinger, I somewhat see your point. There seems to be a kind of 'spirit' in the prog of the 70's that contemporary music often lack. Recently I heard on a prog radio a great song from a band I have never heard of (Morpheus), I googled them and... dang! The track appeared to be from the 70's. So I think it is legitimate to ask the question, what makes this kind of music from this time so special? My 5 cent on this would be, indeed, the bands of that time did not want to follow a genre, because it did not exist, yet. They wanted to cross the boundaries of all previous rock and pop. They wanted to add some daring sounds, melodies, rhythms etc. that at that time could only be found in classical music or non-european ('world') music. All of the sudden nearly all rock musicians at that time wanted to do it, even in the main stream. It was somehow 'in the air' and spread throughout the world like a wave. Those bands founded something that will be later called 'progressive rock', although they were not aware of it. They were many (even though not very commercially successfull at that time), and in this creative  environment everyone wanted to be better and more daring than the others. Maybe it explains a bit of the 'spirit'. Nowadays the 'genre' exists already, and bands playing in this genre are not influential at all in the artistic field anymore. They play in a musical niche for a relatively small amount of people. Of course, they play what they want, and you have to give them credit for not wanting 'to make money fast', but what seems to lack today is the artistic fruitful environment of that time.

I have to admit that I have continued to struggle with the idea that the genre of Progressive Rock didn't exist in the 1970s when in my recollection of it from the period between 1970 and 1975 is that it most certainly did, and therefore it was most definitely called Progressive Rock as far back as 1971/2 at least in the region of England that I lived in. 

That we can now separate a whole bunch of 1970s rock artists from the miasma of all 1970s rock artists and classify them as "unique" brand of rock music is not a special skill that we have suddenly developed - music fans could (and did) do that in the 1970s, and they could (and did) do that just as well, and perhaps even more easily, than we can today. 

The genre existed in 1977 for Punk to single it out for criticism, and it existed in the 1980s for journalists to pillory bands such as Marillion for continuing the genre into the 80s. 

Some are in the belief that this went by other names at the time (such as Symphonic Rock, Head Music or Techno Flash), but those are not terms that were used to describe a genre of music or collective of bands even though they were used as descriptive terms for a particular band or artist in one or two rock publications (but certainly not all of them). Other more vague terms such as Art Rock, Space Rock and Acid Rock were more widely used and less rigorously applied.

The fact that the genre exists today and the notion that all those artists that we call Progressive Rock can be tidily filed away in this pigeon hole did not magically appear from thin air, nor did it establish itself as a universally adopted term over-night. It had to start somewhere and the most logical place for that was the same geographical location where the genre had its stylistic origins and largest (1970s) following - England, and more specifically, the Home Counties of Middle England (aka "The Shire"). That we quickly recognised like-minded music from other parts of Europe (namely Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Scandiwegia, and begrudgingly... France) very early on in the 1970s and should therefore come as no great surprise [and no, Zappa was not regarded as Prog back then]. Since global communications at that time went at the speed of an inebriated tortoise with a wooden leg means this term stayed a local (vernacular) terminology until the rest of the world finally latched-on to it much later (a week last Wednesday I presume).

As a side note: Seven or so years ago the Wikipedia editors decided amongst themselves that Art Rock and Progressive Rock were one and the same because in the USA the two terms were interchangeable so they merged the two Wiki entries into one and called it Progressive Rock. Recently they have seen the error of their ways and their status as two distinct genres has been restored. History hadn't changed, nor had our understanding of it, just the opinion of those who take it upon themselves to edit Wikipedia.

Edited by Dean - May 14 2015 at 11:26
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 11:52
^ Yes, the term "progressive rock" certainly was coined in the late 60s or early 70s, depending on what source you prefer to believe, but we in the Midwestern U.S. were not as sophisticated as you and your classmates, Dean. We weren't smoking clove cigarettes with our berets on, quoting Camus and Sartre. Wink

I suppose we had more arguments regarding the dividing line between "hard rock" and "heavy metal" in the early/mid 70s to even consider that Yes and Tull suddenly morphed into the "prog" category without even a "by your leave", or that somehow Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin belonged in vastly different categories. I recall the demarcation point being a bitter divide with the advent of punk rock and its genetically handicapped spawn "new wave". It seems the need to devise a taxonomic classification for every separate band (and further micro-classifications for different band eras) was more apparent in the late 70s.

By then, radio stations in the Detroit area were no longer using extensive playlists of a wide range of bands, and had morphed into the canned pre-recorded "classic rock" stations (no longer playing albums or anything outside the corporate rock label) as opposed to the "new sound" stations which featured punk and new wave. At that point (the late 70s/early 80s), prog had lost much if its luster, its market share and even its progressiveness, as even the greatest bands started making crappy albums.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 12:36
The early 1970s were a pretty interesting time for art in general, see also film and literature for that matter. I get the impression it wasn't a very fun time to be alive in, maybe it's different in other countries but the 1973 oil crisis hit my parents' generation harder economically than the 2008 stock market crash hit mine, for very similar reasons though!
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 12:43

I have to admit that I have continued to struggle with the idea that the genre of Progressive Rock didn't exist in the 1970s when in my recollection of it from the period between 1970 and 1975 is that it most certainly did, and therefore it was most definitely called Progressive Rock as far back as 1971/2 at least in the region of England that I lived in. 

That we can now separate a whole bunch of 1970s rock artists from the miasma of all 1970s rock artists and classify them as "unique" brand of rock music is not a special skill that we have suddenly developed - music fans could (and did) do that in the 1970s, and they could (and did) do that just as well, and perhaps even more easily, than we can today. 

The genre existed in 1977 for Punk to single it out for criticism, and it existed in the 1980s for journalists to pillory bands such as Marillion for continuing the genre into the 80s. 

Some are in the belief that this went by other names at the time (such as Symphonic Rock, Head Music or Techno Flash), but those are not terms that were used to describe a genre of music or collective of bands even though they were used as descriptive terms for a particular band or artist in one or two rock publications (but certainly not all of them). Other more vague terms such as Art Rock, Space Rock and Acid Rock were more widely used and less rigorously applied.

The fact that the genre exists today and the notion that all those artists that we call Progressive Rock can be tidily filed away in this pigeon hole did not magically appear from thin air, nor did it establish itself as a universally adopted term over-night. It had to start somewhere and the most logical place for that was the same geographical location where the genre had its stylistic origins and largest (1970s) following - England, and more specifically, the Home Counties of Middle England (aka "The Shire"). That we quickly recognised like-minded music from other parts of Europe (namely Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Scandiwegia, and begrudgingly... France) very early on in the 1970s and should therefore come as no great surprise [and no, Zappa was not regarded as Prog back then]Since global communications at that time went at the speed of an inebriated tortoise with a wooden leg means this term stayed a local (vernacular) terminology until the rest of the world finally latched-on to it much later (a week last Wednesday I presume).

As a side note: Seven or so years ago the Wikipedia editors decided amongst themselves that Art Rock and Progressive Rock were one and the same because in the USA the two terms were interchangeable so they merged the two Wiki entries into one and called it Progressive Rock. Recently they have seen the error of their ways and their status as two distinct genres has been restored. History hadn't changed, nor had our understanding of it, just the opinion of those who take it upon themselves to edit Wikipedia.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
hey Mister Dean, what about to enlighten us, who were living in the cages, a bit more? what Zappa was back then if not a progressive rock act? LOL
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 13:10
Well, well, Mister Shamal. A very useful comment once again. If you had read the highlighted part in the context of the paragraph that it's part of, you would've understood. But, I guess picking on other people is more fun than trying to understand what they post. :-)

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
DaleHauskins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 13:15
For me,a young Los Angeles guitarist working with a well-known Swiss progrock band Flame Dream,signed to a major record label such as Vertigo Records;it was really interesting and shocking at the time that thanks to a legendary Swiss keyboardist many progressive rock bands would always record their albums with the help by Patrick Moraz's legendary "Aquarius" studio in Geneva,Switzerland.
This was THE studio where many European prog bands recorded.

Wünsch allne einen feinste Donnerstag us Morgen im Southern California vo de Kalifornicher Dale.
Dale Hauskins
(858) 401-2973
(310) 293-0432
https://artistecard.com/Dalehauskins

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Well, well, Mister Shamal. A very useful comment once again. If you had read the highlighted part in the context of the paragraph that it's part of, you would've understood. But, I guess picking on other people is more fun than trying to understand what they post. :-)

Yeah, this is getting really annoying. May just be lingo problems, but if you don't fully understand what is being said in X post, then why would you ever question it?
It looks rather foolish either way.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 13:32
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

<SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">I have to admit that I have continued to struggle with the idea that the genre of Progressive Rock didn't exist in the 1970s when in my recollection of it from the period between 1970 and 1975 is that it most certainly did, and therefore it was most definitely called Progressive Rock as far back as 1971/2 at least in the region of England that I lived in. </SPAN>
<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">That we can now separate a whole bunch of 1970s rock artists from the miasma of all 1970s rock artists and classify them as "unique" brand of rock music is not a special skill that we have suddenly developed - music fans could (and did) do that in the 1970s, and they could (and did) do that just as well, and perhaps even more easily, than we can today. 

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">The genre existed in 1977 for Punk to single it out for criticism, and it existed in the 1980s for journalists to pillory bands such as Marillion for continuing the genre into the 80s. 

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">Some are in the belief that this went by other names at the time (such as Symphonic Rock, Head Music or Techno Flash), but those are not terms that were used to describe a genre of music or collective of bands even though they were used as descriptive terms for a particular band or artist in one or two rock publications (but certainly not all of them). Other more vague terms such as Art Rock, Space Rock and Acid Rock were more widely used and less rigorously applied.

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px"><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">The fact that the genre exists today and the notion that all those artists that we call Progressive Rock can be tidily filed away in this pigeon hole did not magically appear from thin air, nor did it establish itself as a universally adopted term over-night. It had to start somewhere and the most logical place for that was the same geographical location where the genre had its stylistic origins and largest (1970s) following - England, and more specifically, the Home Counties of Middle England (aka "The Shire"). </SPAN><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">That we quickly recognised like-minded music from other parts of Europe (namely Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Scandiwegia, and begrudgingly... France) very early on in the 1970s and should therefore come as no great surprise [and no, Zappa was not regarded as Prog back then]. </SPAN><SPAN style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">Since global communications at that time went at the speed of an inebriated tortoise with a wooden leg means this term stayed a local (vernacular) terminology until the rest of the world finally latched-on to it much later (a week last Wednesday I presume).</SPAN>

<DIV style="LINE-HEIGHT: 16px">As a side note: Seven or so years ago the Wikipedia editors decided amongst themselves that Art Rock and Progressive Rock were one and the same because in the USA the two terms were interchangeable so they merged the two Wiki entries into one and called it Progressive Rock. Recently they have seen the error of their ways and their status as two distinct genres has been restored. History hadn't changed, nor had our understanding of it, just the opinion of those who take it upon themselves to edit Wikipedia.

LOLLOLLOLLOL
hey Mister Dean, what about to enlighten us, who were living in the cages, a bit more? what Zappa was back then if not a progressive rock act? LOL

I'm a bit younger than some of you, so that's my disclaimer, but I always understood Zappa to be Art Rock or Avant-Garde. I never understood Art Rock to have been the same as Progressive Rock.

Edited by HackettFan - May 14 2015 at 13:35
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Komandant Shamal Komandant Shamal wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOL
Long before the Tyrannosaurus Rex was named "Tyrannosaurus Rex" (literally: King of the Tyrant Lizards) and long before they were even called "dinosaurs" (literally: Terrible Lizards) they were called the Colin (literally: from the Gaelic Coileáin meaning Young Pup). The Colins were irritable beasts because their short arms meant they were unable to wipe their noses (or other cavities that are want to drip), nor could they scratch their backs or pick up small coins and other such trinkets discarded by future time-travellers, who by some ironic twist of fate, were also called Colin as only people called Colin will be permitted to travel through time and space in the 31st century, [If you were ever puzzled why Doctor Who never reveals his given name, now you know]. Following a chance encounter between a Late Cretaceous terrible lizard Colin and a homo sapiens (Literally: Smart Man) Colin visiting from the 31st Century to avoid confusion that may ensue with future encounters between the two species the former took the unilateral decision to rename their entire taxological family from "Colin" to "Sue" (Literally: continue, persevere) [see: Sue (dinosaur)]. This adopted name lasted another 68 million years before a Victorian (Literally: Victory In War) palaeontologist (Literally: Ancient {paleo} Being {onto} Studier {ologist}) found the partial remains of a Sue and named it Manospondylus Gigas (Literally: Giant Spongy Vertebra). Now of course we call these beasts Tyrannosaurus Rex even though we know that they were not reptilian lizards at all and may even have possessed feathers like modern day birds, and since larger raptor dinosaurs have since been found they are not strictly nor literally King of the Tyrant Lizards. Now the moral of this story is that in stating that I no longer care what you think it actually does mean that I no longer care what you think (Literally: couldn't give a flying fart).
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 15:28

What made the 70's prog so unique?

The fact that progressive rock music itself at that time was unique. Next.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 15:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 15:53
I think that if you are hearing too much prog by numbers nowadays you are listening to the wrong prog rock.

There are still bands doing new things imo.

In fact, I think in modern times we have more bands than ever that could be considered unique. Cunieform, Mimicry, Ipecac, Tzadik, The End Records (some of the bands), AltRock, Believer's Roast, etc etc etc.

You gotta just look. These are bands that fall under the umbrella of progressive music but aren't doing "prog" how many think of prog.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 16:17
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sorry H, it was not quite the babbling rant that you offered at the start of this thread, but I tried my best to imitate you. Next.

Edited by SteveG - May 14 2015 at 16:23
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 16:19
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

I think that if you are hearing too much prog by numbers nowadays you are listening to the wrong prog rock.

There are still bands doing new things imo.

In fact, I think in modern times we have more bands than ever that could be considered unique. Cunieform, Mimicry, Ipecac, Tzadik, The End Records (some of the bands), AltRock, Believer's Roast, etc etc etc.

You gotta just look. These are bands that fall under the umbrella of progressive music but aren't doing "prog" how many think of prog.

There is so much win in this post that I cannot add anything else but Clap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>